Orange 'Free' Broadband

Options

Comments

• andymcdoodle
    andymcdoodle Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2012 at 10:04AM
    Options
    been looking at all the replies to this topic on here but i am in a different situation,i have just finished my mobile contract with orange and still use the broadband connection until next month when it will end(received letter).I use orange to send and receive my emails,If i just end broadband with orange and terninate my BT line rental and buy a pay as you go dongle will i still be abe to use orange email? what will it cost to keep email part,only it will be a nightmare if i cannot send and receive emails
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    .I use orange to send and receive my emails,If i just end broadband with orange and terninate my BT line rental and buy a pay as you go dongle will i still be abe to use orange email?

So far yes. My aunt was kicked off orange broadband for being "uneconomic" a few years ago. She still can check her email BUT every 90 days it will be suspended for lack of internet use and you will have to reactivate it on their website. Which only takes a few seconds. If you don't use it for maybe 180 days it will be destroyed an no longer exist.

This works because all dormant orange internet accounts act as payg dial up internet access accounts, but if you don't dial in for internet access every 90 days your account is suspended for lack of use.
  • Woodlandman
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    You do not have to have anything in writing for a contract to exist. A contract is a binding legal agreement, not a piece of paper. A verbal or electronic contract has exactly the same validity as one in writing. Telcoms contracts are almost never made by post and signature these days.

Surely this works both ways so if an orange representative gave a verbal reassuance that the free broadband will continue with the mobile phone term then that is a binding contract.

Also if you take their terms and conditions statement on they have the right to withdraw offers in the same context, then as soon as you accept the offer it then becomes a contract.
    Their terms and conditions say nothing about being able to change contracts. Especially mid term...

Which ever way you look at it they are breaking a contract somewhere.
  • montage
    montage Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Surely this works both ways so if an orange representative gave a verbal reassuance that the free broadband will continue with the mobile phone term then that is a binding contract.

Also if you take their terms and conditions statement on they have the right to withdraw offers in the same context, then as soon as you accept the offer it then becomes a contract.
    Their terms and conditions say nothing about being able to change contracts. Especially mid term...

Indeed this is the case.. they only issue being is the burden of proof required as it forms part of the verbal contact which is to the contrary of the written one which was "made available" when you signed up or upgraded.

This is where the miss-selling aspect comes into the argument, where as a sales person employed or subcontracted by Orange would tell you incorrect information to entice you into the contract when the terms and conditions state something different.
  • montage
    montage Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Upgraded 6 months earlier £100 for a S3 and I got £91 for my old S1 from a recycle site :)

Just make sure they didn't tag the 6 months onto the end of your contract, in effect making your 24 month term into 30.

This is usual practice when people upgrade from 3 months to 1 month early as its an early upgrade not a release from your previous agreed term.

I'd make sure they have effectively wiped of the remaining 6 months correctly to save any hassle in the future.
  • Eva49
    Eva49 Posts: 554 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2012 at 2:02PM
    Options

You are correct!
    Once you accept an 'Offer', you enter into a contract, be that verbally or signed, and yes, once they disconnect free BB they are in breach of contract.

We may not have proof it was said but neither do Orange have proof it wasn't.........no tapes........and on balance of the numbers involved all saying the same...........

Your contract doesn’t reflect what the salesperson said

If your written contract does not match the terms you agreed with the sales staff when you bought the service, you may have been mis-sold the contract.
    You should make a formal complaint to your service provider. You can ask that the terms of your contract be changed to match what the sales person said. If they do not resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can report them to the Office of Fair Trading.
    If your service provider has a term in your contract which says they disown statements made by sales staff, that would be un unfair contract term.
    If the statement made by the sales person is false and it influenced your decision to buy the service, this is called misrepresentation. If this is the case, you can cancel your contract without charges and may be able to take legal action for compensation. A false statement which influenced your decision to enter into a contract is also an example of an unfair commercial practice. This is a criminal offence.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...d_internet.htm
  • richardglyn
    Options
    montage wrote: »
    Just make sure they didn't tag the 6 months onto the end of your contract, in effect making your 24 month term into 30.

This is usual practice when people upgrade from 3 months to 1 month early as its an early upgrade not a release from your previous agreed term.

I'd make sure they have effectively wiped of the remaining 6 months correctly to save any hassle in the future.

Thanks, just had a check 24m expires Sep 14,I'll take a print screen just in case I need it in the future,forgot to add also received the £50 for registering the NFC Quick Tap Wallet for the S3
  • Benno1uk
    Benno1uk Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    kstrachan wrote: »
    I have had a simply broadband contract with them and had decided to change my landline to orange as the combined fee was less than the fee for broadband from orange and line rental from BT - BT made an almighty mess of this and I am now moving all my services to orange I have had a good amount of help from the cs team - there are a few changes to the ofcom regulations that perhaps other forum users are not aware of - orange and other providers are no longer allowed to offer phone lines without broadband so that is why the second line issue has arisen, theses are being phased out as it is no longer approved for anyone other than BT or the post office ( I think) to offer second lines in an address - as an aside I never got offered free broadband and have had a mobile contract from orange for 10 yrs or so!

You raise a good point kstrachan in that Orange are indeed cheaper than other providers when you factor in line rental and broadband. Also everyone is slagging Orange for their terrible customer service and assuming all other companies are brilliant. I beg to differ having twice had dealings with BT, one involving transferring a landline to a new home and the other when the phone line went down at my home. Both times they were a nightmare to deal with and it took ages (at cost to me) to get what turned out to be simple errors (by their engineers) sorted out.

But no doubt I will be lambasted by the part time Perry Masons on here who think they can single handedly bring a multi-billion pound company and its corporate lawyers to its knees with their home brew legal genius.
  • moon777
    moon777 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    fitz2012 wrote: »
    All the telecoms providers have customer service issues, both good and bad experience. Where we can all agree, is that Orange should have just given us notice that the free broadband will be withdrawn at the end of your current mobile contracts, not during the contract!

Life would have been so much easier for all parties involved!!!

I agree with everything you wrote in that post - especially "So, we have to consider the best resolution for our individual circumstances" - very true, at first I assumed everyone would want out of EE - now I accept each to their own.

However regarding all telecom providors and customer service issues: I have never come across a situation like our present one, where its taken 6 weeks for no one to talk to me accept to try and bully me to move my landline, any contact i have had has required ofcom references and being taught by Eva49 how to speak with exec - me contacting them. I think this present situation is the worst bit of CS i have ever come across in my life. Lets face it EE still dont know how to handle this and are probably still in talks with Ofcom. As for ending the BB before contract ends - well! No never come across anything like the last 6 weeks - and i suspect this will carry on for weeks more - they are still sending out letters to customers! yes all providers have CS issues, but nothing compared to this mess!
  • nobby1963
    nobby1963 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Benno1uk wrote: »

But no doubt I will be lambasted by the part time Perry Masons on here who think they can single handedly bring a multi-billion pound company and its corporate lawyers to its knees with their home brew legal genius.

Benno,

I for one have never wanted to bring Orange to their knees ( & I am reasonably confident that is the case with the great majority of other posters here ).

I also don`t pretend / hope / wish to be a `Perry Mason `.

What brought me here was a total hatred of Orange taking me for a fool. They tried it earlier in the year with a price rise that was put down to a `business decision`, I contacted them,went through the usual hurdles, finally got to speak to a manager in the exec office and got the price rise offset with an equal reduction in my monthly tariff.

This process has been the same when they cocked up in the past with other things, I have always had hassle getting to a decision maker but have got there in the end.

This time they have made the whole issue much worse in that I have not been able to sort things out and get to talk to a decision maker to solve things, I have even tried contacting the previous manager who sorted the price rise issue for me & had always said " if there are any other problems just let me know " but has been unwilling to help now.

One thing is for sure though, I will not be out of pocket over this, I will either get the equivelant of free broadband for the remaining period of my current mobile contract - 15 months `ish - or I will go to court to get it. ( I accept that the `free for life` broadband is a tad beyond me ).

If you find this too much to deal with, in that others are not willing to accept being treated badly by Orange, then don`t look at a forum that is clearly intended for people in that situation.

Nobby.
    SMA 4000TL Inverter, 17 REC 235PE Panels, South facing, roof angle \ `ish, 3995 watt system.Installed Nov 2011.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure