🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Well, that didn't go down well!

Options

Comments

• ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    I was taking a contribution from my oldest 2 as soon as they had part-time jobs when they started college. They were earning nearly 300 a month from working weekends in Tesco so I asked for 30 from each of them a month. DS1 is now back from Uni and is looking for a job, as soon as he's working he will be giving me keep. DS2 works but doesn't earn a huge amount. He gives me 100 a month as he is learning to drive at the moment and I'd rather he put money towards that. The youngest doesn't have a part-time job (desperately looking) and is at college so he does more around the house to help out as I am having to still buy his clothes/fund his lunch money etc. My boys have always been aware of our (family) financial situation, see me and their dad working full-time and understand that you pay your bills first then if there's anything left it's yours.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    his take home pay from the jobs is roughly £750 p.m

When I dropped hints a few weeks ago about 'keep' his comment was ' if I pay you it'll take me longer to save the money to get a place so you'll be stuck with me for longer than I want'

I sort of checked what other people were 'charging' their adult kids, & it seemed to be around £50 a week, I didn't want to appear harsh so suggested £35, he thought I meant 'per month' & nearly choked when I said weekly.

I would have been embarrassed to sponge off my parents like this! At the very least he should be offering the extra it costs you to have him back at home and doing a fair share of the household jobs.
  • 41_and_i_know_it
    Options
    scooby088 wrote: »
    In the 90's when I left education and got a job I was on £80 per week and I gave my parents £25 per week, as far I was concerned I had an easy ride for 16 years of my life and was my time to start contributing.

For me if he doesn't contribute then you have the option of asking him to leave and find out that the real world is alot more expensive than living with you.

I was the same in 1990 working as a temp got about 80-90 quid a week and gave parents £25 a week thought that was reasonable it teaches you to budget and when I went to uni i was used to paying rent for when I had to pay 3 mths rent for halls in advance out of £800 grant.

Tesco Credit Card £250 £25 DD 0% for next 10 months.

Barclaycard Initial £241.45 0% for next 7 mths.
    Your parents choose your beginning....
    .... you get to choose the ending.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't need proof of his savings, I have access!! - he does put everything away that he can, I feel the bad guy as this is the 1st time I've had to go cap in hand, it doesn't help that his uni pals have parents who earn far more than we do & don't ask them for a contribution

Put your foot down, take his £35 a week and if you feel that bad put it away for him so that when he does move out he can have it as a deposit for a flat or an air ticket to go travelling.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    am I being unreasonable?
    Starting at the end of your first post, No, you are NOT being unreasonable, but I feel really glad that both DS1 and DS2 have not quibbled about paying rent as soon as they got home from Uni. In both cases they were paying it from their savings (yes, savings!) as neither wanted to claim JSA. DS1 was trying self-employment but then got a job, and DS2 is allegedly job hunting.

In both cases they knew it would happen: the free ride lasts as long as you're at Uni, no longer. They also knew they'd be expected to start paying promptly, because if they didn't it would be a dangerous precedent to set DS3.
    When I dropped hints a few weeks ago about 'keep' his comment was ' if I pay you it'll take me longer to save the money to get a place so you'll be stuck with me for longer than I want'
    there are several possible responses to this: "I didn't realise you were saving for your own place, I thought you were saving to go travelling first, which is it?" "Darling, you know I'd love to have you at home forever, perhaps I'd better quadruple that figure" being the first two which spring to my mind.
    Out joint income is only around £30k, & we're about £130 short now each month as our youngest son has just left for Uni so our Child benefit & Child tax credit has stopped
    the bottom line is that you need the money. If necessary sit down and go through the numbers with him. If he doesn't like it, he's welcome to move somewhere cheaper.
    I don't need proof of his savings, I have access!! - he does put everything away that he can, I feel the bad guy as this is the 1st time I've had to go cap in hand, it doesn't help that his uni pals have parents who earn far more than we do & don't ask them for a contribution
    As others have said, this is completely irrelevant. If he wants to move in with someone else's parents, let him try it.
    Thank You everyone for all the replies - he is a good kid & is good with money, when he was in the shared house he was the one who dealt with the money & paid the bills, most of his costs were paid out of his student loan. He worked p-t thru Uni for his extras, has only recently got the other 2 jobs which is why I've only asked for it now, up until this month he was only on 250-300 pm. He pays all costs for his car, phone, gym membership & clothes. I do his washing but he does his own ironing & cleans his room. I don't want to make money off him, but realises he needs to contribute something as A. we could use the money & B. he needs to get used to the fact that he has to pay to live etc
    Can you afford to spend as much as he does on car, phone, gym and clothes? How much disposable income do you have? I don't think there's any need to apologise for the fact that you NEED the money. The alternative is to consider taking a lodger, or downsizing.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,143 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So you had a household budget before your son returned. His coming back to the household incurs extra costs - food, utilities etc If you are on a tight budget then I can see you need to charge a working offspring to cover these costs. Charging anymore than this and you are profiting out of your children.

I would far rather they save some money so have a nest egg to fall back on when they leave the nest.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    In both cases they were paying it from their savings (yes, savings!) as neither wanted to claim JSA. DS1 was trying self-employment but then got a job, and DS2 is allegedly job hunting.

They're clearly not as savvy as you!

Would they be entitled to JSA based on their NI contributions? If so, its daft not to claim it and waste their savings.
  • geelamch
    Options
    I have a teenager who is an apprentice,he pays dig money weekly,I put this in a building society account for him,however he has to pay as he needs to be educated that living expenses have to be paid.if I needed the money he pays I would have no hesitation In demanding it from him.tell your son he pays or goes,no debate involved
  • surprood
    Options
    The question is do you need the money? If so charge him what you need.

It's just wrong that people see this as education, erm don't you think they should be aware of finances at 21. Same with taking the money to save for them.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    geelamch wrote: »
    I have a teenager who is an apprentice,he pays dig money weekly,I put this in a building society account for him,however he has to pay as he needs to be educated that living expenses have to be paid.

How is it saving it for them helpful? Surely its better for them to learn the importance of saving and do it themselves rather than be forced?

I completely agree that people need to learn how money works and how to manage their finances, but if people think merely taking money off them will do that I think they're sadly mistaken.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport