PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2011 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Spiggle - hope eveything goes ok.

Hippeechiq - how did you get on at the doctors? Did they give you anything for your daughter? Keep strong hun, we are all routing for you.

I have had a few more spends but have now deducted the £20 for the sleeping bag & £25 for the clothes which takes me to £302 something for April so far which is really rather good for me at this point in the month. This has admittedly been helped however by a bit of DTD at Mr T's so can't really take all the credit myself!

Hippeechiq - sorry just reread your post & realised that you were also going to your Shelter appointment today as well. How did that go? Hope they were useful.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tonight we had Cashew Curry for dinner. Was a sucess but will probably add something like oyster mushrooms next time.

I used 300g cashew nuts
    1 or 2 onions
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    ginger-grated
    1-2 tsp mixed spices
    1-2 tsp med curry powder
    10 or so new potatoes-peeled and cubed
    600ml veg stock
    5-6 tomatoes- coarsley chopped
    300ml single cream
    Rice

Dry fry cashews, stirring frequently until brown and set aside.

Add oil to the pan and fry onion, garlic and ginger for 2-3 mins. Add spices and currry powder and fry for a minute. Add potatoes and stock and simmer until the potato is tender.

Meanwhile cook the rice

When potatoes are tender stir in tomatoes, cream and half the cashews into the curry and season well.

Serve on the rice and sprinkle the rest of the cashews over.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    £2.99 spent today in Lidl on milk, grapes and a pineapple. I had to bin a pineapple I bought in Asda last week as when I cut into it, it smelled really musty and odd!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    Been reading through but havent updated any spends yet, will tomorrow. Just want to say Hippeechiq, thinking of you hun and hope you get things sorted soon, Spiggle hope everything goes ok for you and mrs mc fantastic achievement on your weightloss :T you certainly deserved your meal out :)

Will update my dreaded spends tomorrow :(
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • farmers-marketeer
    Options
    Feeling good about this after £38.10 first week, £10.71 in 6 days with 2 no spend days. Expect to finish week at around £20 and if I hold £40 next week have £60 for last 9 days. Cutting back on the alcohol buy adsa Smart Price bitter 98p for 4 cans tastes fine 4 units of alcohol better for my health and my bank balance :beer: it's fine for cooking too.

13 of 30 days passed £48.81 of £160 spent
    It's only rock and roll but I like it.
  • supersally01
    Options
    Just need to update a few small spends. £26 in H@ME B@RGAINS, £32 from the local butchers, and £17 in ICEL@AND. Really happy to be planting my veggies for the summer, had some fab weather here in Inverness. Hoping to get a greenhouse at some point (did I say this year! LOL).
    The renovations are going great. The en-suite starts monday, we are having a decorator paint my hall 1st may, and I am getting a new fridge/freezer. Just as well, as there is a terrible knocking noise from it. Lets hope it lasts till tuesday!
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    Really quickly popping on to update sig, over £67 now aaaaargh! Not going to make it this month, let's just try to limit the damage and see how far I've overspent so I can try to sort of make it back next time.

Anyone know if Aldi have got aubergines in cheaper than a quid each? I need some, but venturing on an Aldi expedition would mean getting off the train halfway home then getting back on again, so can't really just go to investigate. Also am huffed at Co-op again, for their milk this time. It doesn't seem to keep nearly as well as the milk that I was buying before. The last bottle actually went off while it was still a couple of days in date, and I only realised after I'd put it in my tea (the tea looked funny). Wasted a very good tea bag there! Does anyone else find their milk doesn't keep well, or is it my fridge?
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tigerfeet, I've added your Cashew Curry recipe to the index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • janie-h
    janie-h Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :wave:

Sorry that I am VERY late arriving this month. Have been saving receipts, popping in to catch up, but not been feeling too good :(

A huge thank you to all who run the thread :T & please put me down for £250 for April

Anyway, hope everyone else is well? And big hugs to those who need them :grouphug: (me included!)

Spends so far this month -

A**a - £6.28
    BM - £10.41
    Iland - £20.45
    A**i - £12.86 & £50.55
    TOTAL = £100.55

Off to update sig. So far, this month is going much better than March so I am determined to get back on track!
  • Candy_Belle
    Candy_Belle Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options

Spiggle - Hope everything goes well today chick x

NSD to report for yesterday - yey!!!!!:j
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills