Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Mar 11, 4:15 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    April 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Mar 11, 4:15 PM
    April 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Mar 11 at 4:15 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fourth Grocery Challenge of 2011, Spring has sprung and I'm feeling optimistic! Hopefully we'll all have a good month!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the March 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-03-2011 at 9:35 AM.
Page 11
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 2nd Apr 11, 4:29 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 20,260 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Afternoon, everyone. So far have managed two NSDs in a row (I feel really good about myself!) I've managed to find work-arounds for meals with ingredients I didn't have, so I feel pretty good about myself (although I've just caved in and had a big chunk of cheese as a snack - bad me... ) Anyway, hopefully going to have another NSD tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

Piri Piri Prawn stir fry for tea tonight, and meatballs with tomato sauce and pasta tomorrow. DMiL is over, so I wanted to do something special (that I know I won't get wrong!) Have a good evening, everyone.

KB xx

• beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 2nd Apr 11, 6:18 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    Gosh - 2nd April already and not signed up yet. Very disappointed in huge overspend last month , with no real reason for it. Will be having DS and DGD to stay for the school holidays so no way will it go down this month. So, will aim at last months total -
    £390 please!!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • elfen
    Spent 28.70 on some lovely food with lots of yellow stickered stuff. yum yum!
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • Pinwheel
    • By Pinwheel 2nd Apr 11, 6:49 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Pinwheel
    Hi
    More money spent yesterday and today. I think I have learned that I need to do an internet shop on payday, things aren't going well already this month. I had to buy chicken, sausages, fish, bread flour, vegetables, cheese, yoghurts and lots more, £45.50 in total. I have got meals planned for the next week but think I am going to try to plan until next payday (26th April) I have updated my signature.
    PWx
    Oct GC £36.72/£220.00
    Sep GC £223.58/£220.00
    Aug GC £200/£200
    Jun GC £192.73/££220 - Jul GC £296.88/£220
    Apr GC £230.40/£200 - May GC £230.40/£220 -
    Feb GC £200.19/£200 - Mar GC £203.37/£200 -
  • huxley
    Mr T just delivered my order early pleased about that had to book 9-11pm slot as that was all that was avaliable but they are so busy they phoned to see if I minded changing That's the plus but I really should not shop when I feel yuk now got a full cupboard but whether the ingredients go together to make meals is another matter
  • ebayqueen
    Hi all
    Back to join the April Groc Challenge...March was a strange month...all my good intentions went out the window!
    Happy to report that I have just got my first NSD...miracle

please include me and I hope to reach 10 nsds this month and £400 for the groceries.
    Wishing all on this board the best of luck for the month ahead.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 2nd Apr 11, 7:18 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    I've done quite well this week, only bought things that I really needed, apart from a few ice-creams that snuck into my trolley. I have been to the butchers today for meat which will last us a fortnight that came to £16. 59, and then went to sainsbugs as i had a £12 off £60 spend, quite pleased that i only went over by a small amount over the £60, so it finally came to £55.66.

I have meal planned for the month, and trying to use up as much stuff as possible. I said last week that I wanted my annual total to be at £850 by the end of April, but as you can see by me signature...that just ain't gonna happen!!

Have a good week everyone x
    2018 G/C £2951.61/£2250
    Vouchers used £553.23
    Extra money £250
    2019 G/C £2562.28
    Vouchers: £213.33
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 2nd Apr 11, 7:32 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    just popping in to report a NSD also was treated to a lovely lunch out today
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 2nd Apr 11, 7:32 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    went to te$co this morning and got a few bots for mothers day and spent yesterdays dtd on a few more dtd bits, i'm not going to add my spends onto my sig tho as most was for mothersday and the few bits that weren't were more than covered by yesterdays voucher , i'm hoping for another £18 dtd voucher back

will add £16 to my sis tho for the maccy d's we had for lunch it was well worth every penny
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 2nd Apr 11, 8:19 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    So, I've just totally blown it. Restocking the fridge freezer to a level I'm happy with cost me most of my month's challenge money. Howewer, because of the success of last month, and because I also spaved, I'm going to move the cost of what I won't use this month over to next month, so I don't feel so bad. After all, it's not my fault my fridge freezer died, and i'm not going to beat myself up about it, but I did need to restock it, and there were some lovely bargains at @sda today, like mull£r corners, lights and rices for 25p! Bought 15!! Also stocked up on cheese, those fini$h tablets, frozen veg, marg, the butter-with-tin promotion, which was actually cheaper than buying without the tin! and some other bits. Ooh, loo roll too, which always eats into the old budget I find. So, with adjustments of spaving, etc, my total for April out of £150 so far is £122.02!! That's with another £13.94 to take out of the May budget, mainly the fini$h dishwasher tablets. Looking at the price per tablet, it's actually cheaper than the smartprice ones, so I bought 5 packs!

In fairness, I did get some stuff for mothering sunday in there too, like some strawbs and rasps, and some nice chocs, and something nice for breakfast, and... But, being a single mum, I thought s0d it, I'll treat myself! My children want to make all my food for me tom, so needed to get easy stuff as they're only 6 and 4!! So, for breakfast we're having pain au chocolats or choc brioche, lunch is sandwiches with hm cakes for pudding (we're making them tom morning!), and dinner is enchiladas with chocolate pots for pud - will put that in separate post, they look yummy! Then, of course, snacks throughout the day and all round pigginess, followed by a nice bike ride in the nearby park! And if they want an icecream while we're there, tough, but I did find about 5 tubs of the stuff in the outside freezer I didn't know I had, so they can wait til we get home and have some of that!!

Just realised how long the post is. Sorry.
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 2nd Apr 11, 8:24 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Chocolate Pots
    Ingredients
    250ml double cream
    1 tablespoon caster sugar
    200g plain chocolate

Serves 4

Method
    Put cream and sugar in saucepan, heat til just boiling, stirring regularly.
    Turn off heat, break choc into chunks and add to pan.
    Leave for 2 mins, then stir until smooth.
    Leave for 10 mins, stir and put into dishes.
    When cold, put into fridge for at least 4 hours (we're leaving them overnight).
    Shove some grated choc/fresh raspberries/whatever on the top and serve!

There are only 3 of us, and 2 are small people, so we've done half quantity, for a taster rather than a feel-sick pudding!
    Last edited by PennyGrabber; 02-04-2011 at 8:26 PM. Reason: Random spelling!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • MumOf2Beasties
    hi everyone,

am feeling quite excited about april's gc, just feeling really positive that i'm being better with the money i spend
    did a weekly shop in m'sons yesterday and spent £54.98, added £9.98 to this which is for the half price nappies i got in march that will be used this month!!and £4.99 on a box of 6x johns*ns babywipes in savers.

i don't claim to be a great cook but try to make sure we get enough veg and that it's meals the kids will enjoy, should get 9 days of meals out of this spend:

*beef and veg lasagne (with grated carrot to hide it from kids and brocoli)
    *chips and fish fingers
    *boiled bacon,veg(brocoli,cauli,cabbage,carrot,swede,peas, roasties)and onion sauce,
    *leftover bacon with veg(new pots,brocoli,carrot)and cheese sauce,
    *hotdog pasta,
    *tuna and new potato layer bake served with brocoli(might add sweetcorn)
    *pizza and chips,
    *homemade veg soup (carrots,cabbage,cauli,sweetcorn,will add brocoli and pots if there are any left) blended untill fairly smooth served with brown bread,
    *leftover veg soup used as a sauce with pasta and topped with cheese.

we all eat fruit every day and obv eat a few naughties lol

after i made the lasagne i had a few sheets of whoopsied fresh pasta to use up so my dd who's two tore it all up into little squares and i boiled it with some peas, let it cool then added sweetcorn and mayo for a quick 'pasta salad', not your regular pasta shapes but was yummy and meant i used up pasta that before joining the gc i would have binned

also bought the 3 for £10 meat so have 2 portions of beef mince and 2 portions of diced chicken in the freezerand before the gc i would just have bought smaller packs of mince as i needed them, costing me more over a month!!

anyway sorry for the long postand good luck to everyone in reducing your spends
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of £250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 2nd Apr 11, 9:11 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 49,952 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €8.96 yesterday, bringing my total spend to €36.71, hadn't got a list with me though so only got 4 things I knew I needed, am out of salami and other things, will go either to-morrow or Tuesday.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Candy Belle
    Wow! Just had to catch up on thread not been on since last night and am 4 pages behind!!

Popped into sainsbugs lastnight and managed to spend £32.78!!!
    Not liking how my budget is looking or bank balance so early in the month!!!

Have a good weekend everyone!
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • farmers-marketeer
    Hi first time for me so £160 for April please done well so far checked my food shop from company shop £27 worth for 10.95 will get 3 meals from the half price belly of pork Wait**** 500 grammes for £1.30 so figured could afford the Best Morris*** apple sauce anyone noticed the store second veggies there I got broccoli and red potatoes for 14 p each 750g and 250g so apart from milk and fresh veg I am sorted for week time to bake a loaf.

me 2 cats and a need to cut back on booze no pub this week end thats everything
  • Rachel021967
    I spent £3.50 on sweets and fizzy drink. Must do better. Total spend this month £29.55. I've spent £4.55 on junk. I could get the ingredients for a meal out of that.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Apr 11, 6:44 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yippee! OH paid for the bulk of the food shopping yesterday as he would have taken me out for a takeaway but I said let me cook instead, so I have fruit, veg, icecream etc for the grand sum of £3.50 That, added to the cheapie spends on my wild night out on Friday of £11.20 which I'm taking out of the grocery challenge, as it was drink and under my austerity measures this month, it has to count!!) means I've spent £14.70 out of my £100 already, and it's only 3rd April.....
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 3rd Apr 11, 7:49 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    Hi first time for me so £160 for April please done well so far checked my food shop from company shop £27 worth for 10.95 will get 3 meals from the half price belly of pork Wait**** 500 grammes for £1.30 so figured could afford the Best Morris*** apple sauce anyone noticed the store second veggies there I got broccoli and red potatoes for 14 p each 750g and 250g so apart from milk and fresh veg I am sorted for week time to bake a loaf.

me 2 cats and a need to cut back on booze no pub this week end thats everything
    Originally posted by farmers-marketeer

we have a company shop near us, its fab i go about once every couple of months and stock up on meat , toiletries,yoghurts, sweets and any other offers they have

NSD today , we are going out for a meal but that is from another budget
  • rosieben
    PennyGrabber, have added your Chocolate Pots to the recipe index

sorry I've not been around much but my dgs was born on Friday 1st so not been able to concentrate on much else

hope you're all having a lie-in and having some nice Mother's Day treats
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 3rd Apr 11, 8:57 AM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    Living proof
    I had a couple of hours to kill last night in town, so did my meagre shop first in Ald*, then Morris*ns, A*da and finally T**co. They are all quite close together so I didn't have to use any petrol to speak of. It was very very quiet at 7pm but few whoopsies, other than half price smoked salmon which I bought and then split into portions and froze. Spent the grand sum of £11 (plus wine, but that comes out separate budget at present). So £11/50 for April, but I won't be going shopping again until at least 10th.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

680Posts Today

6,198Users online

Martin's Twitter