Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 12
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 31st Jan 11, 5:00 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Please can I put a target of £200? No change from last month's target, which we went over (need to add up the final bits later) BUT I had an idea for an experiment. Since I know exactly how much we have spent in a month buying everything from T*sco, I am going to try and buy meat, fish, eggs, veg and fruit from the shops in the market or the greengrocer down the road, and only what I have to at the supermarket. Then I can actually make a comparison... And since we didn't buy anything in January till the 6th, I can't claim Feb will only be cheaper as it's a shorter month!
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • Missus Aka
    £135 For Feb Pls!!! Have just declared for Jan @ £1.14 under budget, hope it continues!!! My Feb budget starts tomorrow till end of the month & covers me, DH, DS3, my sister who i have 2 nights a week and DH's brothers who come a few times a months (includes food, drinks, cleaning stuff), i had 11 NSD's last month will try to aim for the same again

Mothership My thoughts are with you and your family
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
    • never too old
    • By never too old 31st Jan 11, 6:11 PM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 31,160 Thanks
    never too old

Came down to have a wee look through the recipe's to see if I could find a nice one for bread. Not made bread for years (used to do it all the time) till I stuffed my (proving place full of groceries). Then I read on here that someone puts a plastic shower cap over the bowl to prove the bread, I got loads of those (I do B&B they don't get used much, about 4 in 9 yrs).
    Over the radiator in the kitchen would be a great place for proving, if I put the covered bowl in a bag and hang it there, it should work.

If anyone wants a disposable shower cap to try it PM me and I will send you some. I helped with a mail shot recently and got loads of stamps left over as a reward.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    i have a very simple bread recipe if you would like it.

£2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1711.95 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 31st Jan 11, 6:20 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    HI everyone .. well popped to the C*_*p today for bread, milk and grapes and came out with .....bread,milk and grapes VERY proud of myself.
    Originally posted by runnerbean17
    And I'm very proud of you too!! I almost never do that!

NSD's for the past 2 days. Even though I meal planned, I didn't have what was on todays plan

So I'm on Thursday really! Still, it used up some leftovers so it's all very GC. Went on to MySupermarket for the first time last night. Almost as tempting as going in to a real life shop. My basket ended up at £30. With a £50 budget, and not even in Feb yet, this is not good. So I didn't go near a shop. Although one of the offers was Lenor Sleep Sensations @ £2 in Mr T (I think it's normally £3??) It's one of my treats if you like. That & proper coffee. Everything else, I'll buy whatevers on offer / cheapest. But a girls gotta have some treats. I might stock up on them anyway.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
    • boysma
    • By boysma 31st Jan 11, 6:41 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Hi

Just checking the front page and my total for Feb should be 275.00 please (I changed it yesterday) sorry if you havent got round to reading that yet
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14)
  • bertiebots
    Just bobbed back in to say have had a nsd today and my shop is coming in the morning...delivery to the door means i can get something done in the house rather than the 40 min round trip to sainsbugs before work!
    In the mean time does anyone make meatballs with pork sausage meat ?( quite like the idea but dont want to bawls it up lol!)..thanks to a super sainsbugs sale I have four or five packets of the stuff rolling around in my freezer , and apart from sausage rolls I am drawing a blank on what to use it for- (but couldnt resist the 30-odd pence price tag at the time)
    I would be very grateful for any cheap and cheerful suggestions Thanks.
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200 FEB GC £197.31 out of £180. MARCH GC - out of £200
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 31st Jan 11, 7:10 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Another £19.30 to add to my annual total. Went to sainsbugs to get a few bits, really pleased with what i got for what we spent.

Running total - £96.30/£2000
    Debt 1 £1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 £2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 £2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 £1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
  • Boodle
    Hi - please can we be put down for £50 again?

Last month's went into uncharted territory :O

So far, spent £20.54 for Feb.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Mothership
    i have a very simple bread recipe if you would like it.

Originally posted by l.m.hart
    Yes! please... My efforts are dangling on a knob in a bag above the cooker lol, its been there for just over an hour, I've kept the oven on a wee peep so the heat wafts up, fingers crossed I remembered how to do it. My kitchen smells like my granny's I'm da granny noo!

Boiled a gammon joint and made a lovely pot of lentil soup with carrot ,turnip, leek, totties and a parsnip I found in the fridge don't know how long it has been in the fridge, it was in perfect condition so in it went, then finished it off with parsley. Nom nom nom. My little GD will be having some for lunch tomorrow.
    Had fish and chips for dinner and a lovely HM scone. Need to post the recipe it was one of my experiments that worked (Still laughing at the marmalade ).

Love the sound of Mrs Macawbers Chicken & sweet corn soup, need to try that.

Thank you for all your kind thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 31st Jan 11, 7:40 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Just bobbed back in to say have had a nsd today and my shop is coming in the morning...delivery to the door means i can get something done in the house rather than the 40 min round trip to sainsbugs before work!
    In the mean time does anyone make meatballs with pork sausage meat ?( quite like the idea but dont want to bawls it up lol!)..thanks to a super sainsbugs sale I have four or five packets of the stuff rolling around in my freezer , and apart from sausage rolls I am drawing a blank on what to use it for- (but couldnt resist the 30-odd pence price tag at the time)
    I would be very grateful for any cheap and cheerful suggestions Thanks.
    Originally posted by bertiebots

I learnt how to make sausage plait at school. Actually quite nice! You get some ready made puff pastry (or make your own but that's hassle!), roll it into a rectangle. Mentally divide it into 3 strips and put the sausagemeat (mixed with herbs/garlic/onion/stuff) down the centre third. Then you slice the other thirds diagonally downwards from the sausagemeat to the edge, then "plait" it! Cook it til it's done. It tastes really nice, and goes with baked beans and chips for a pig out, or salad, or whatever!!

HTH
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 31st Jan 11, 7:48 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    big thanks to zippy, pink, rosieben and mrs mccawber for the thread

Well ive already spent a chunk of my budget already in mr t £88.85
    also in i**land i spent £11.62, really need to curb the spending now, cupboards and freezers are full! Going to aim for more nsd's and more cooking from scratch.

Big hugs to those that need them, and good luck everyone
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • kahunababy
    • By kahunababy 31st Jan 11, 8:08 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    kahunababy
    Hello all, back again for the next challenge.

Please could you put me down for £250 again this month.

I would have liked to reduce this as it's a short month however we are traveling to England to see my family and theres half term to think about this month (my baking cupboard always takes a beating over half term as I try and do some with the kids), so thats why I'm staying at £250.

Hope you all have a good month xxxx
    Just little old me!
  • velbels
    Hi am declaring even if i don't manage to keep up with all the posts
    Code:

. please put me down for £160 this month. Thank you
    Jan Grocery Challenge £175/£200
    • sorting myself out
    • By sorting myself out 31st Jan 11, 8:22 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sorting myself out
    Hi everyone, Been lurking for a few weeks now and i've finally taken the plunge and gonna put myself down for a couple of challenges! I 've enjoyed reading all your posts. Being single and in debt can be a lonely business at times and even though its all my own fault i am finding that i do appreciate the small things in life now! Will you put me down for £120.00 please. Good luck everyone!!
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
  • Emily87
    Hi everyone, my target for feb is £200. My month runs 20th - 20th so I'm at £126/£200 but with a full freezer!
    June Grocery Challenge - £???/£230
    Credit card debt - Start - £10,613 Now - £10613
    Personal loan - Start - £10,116 Now - £10116

DFD - October 2015

• never too old
    • By never too old 31st Jan 11, 8:45 PM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 31,160 Thanks
    never too old
    Yes! please... My efforts are dangling on a knob in a bag above the cooker lol, its been there for just over an hour, I've kept the oven on a wee peep so the heat wafts up, fingers crossed I remembered how to do it. My kitchen smells like my granny's I'm da granny noo!

Boiled a gammon joint and made a lovely pot of lentil soup with carrot ,turnip, leek, totties and a parsnip I found in the fridge don't know how long it has been in the fridge, it was in perfect condition so in it went, then finished it off with parsley. Nom nom nom. My little GD will be having some for lunch tomorrow.
    Had fish and chips for dinner and a lovely HM scone. Need to post the recipe it was one of my experiments that worked (Still laughing at the marmalade ).

Love the sound of Mrs Macawbers Chicken & sweet corn soup, need to try that.

Thank you for all your kind thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    500G PLAIN FLOUR
    7 G SALT
    1 TABLESPOON OF OLIVE OIL.

ACTIVATE YEAST IN WARM WATER
    ADD TO OTHER INGREDIENTS.
    KNEAD
    PROOVE
    KNEAD
    THEN PROOVE AGAIN( I NORMALLY DO 2 ND PROOVE IN THE LIGHTLY OILED LOAF TIN,
    THEN IN THE OVEN.

PLAIN FLOUR MAKES IT LIGHTER,( HUGH FERNLEY W RECIPE)
    Thank you for all your kind thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1711.95 / 2019
    0%/100%
  • TheBees
    So here goes for February! £380 target so fingers crossed!

Tomorrow will be a small shop at MrT for some essentials and I'm taking the £20 voucher I forgot last month. Then I'm planning a bigger internet shop at the end of the week. I sat and planned meals for a fortnight last night which was hard work!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 31st Jan 11, 8:49 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Can I please be put down for £130 again this month? I don't know how well I will do on that this month, as I may have to stock up on a few things, but I'll give it a try!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• prettypaula
    First day of the month so big spends out lay!

£103.71 spent

£42.69 remaining

done big shop for month, all cleaning and toiletries, pet food, litter, meat, cupboards stocked and 2nd purse purchases.

milk gets delivered so will recieve bill around about 20th but still got my £10 free shop off of that so should be neutral. Will need bread, top up of veg and fruit but thats it really. desperate to come in under budget!
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 £23,708.39
    Paid so far £2,383.91
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• LondonDreamer
    I am finally joining in after months of thinking about it. I am estimating my monthly spend at around £150 as I tend to do one big shop of around £50 then £25 top ups each week. I don't think I will need the big shop as want to use up some stocks, so setting my budget to £100 for the month. Month starting today.

In the mean time does anyone make meatballs with pork sausage meat ?( quite like the idea but dont want to bawls it up lol!)
    Originally posted by bertiebots
    Jamie Oliver does. I also found this recipe while trying to find the previous which looks really yummy - Spaghetti with sausage meatballs

When I used to eat more red meat, I would also make meatballs with half beef and half pork mince. They were delicious. Delia does a version in a goulash sauce that looks good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,375Posts Today

6,271Users online

Martin's Twitter