Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 5
  • jcr16
    i only ever make lentil soup using red lentils. but i've loads of green lentils. would using these instead of red change the taste dramactically ?
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • basil92
    • By basil92 1st Oct 10, 12:52 PM
    • 10,816 Posts
    • 28,160 Thanks
    basil92
    I have a load of green lentils and veg that need using up so thought about making Lentil Soup

However, I've just looked at my box of veg stock cubes...and they are a year out of date (shows how often I use stock cubes)

My question is...do you think the stock cubes will be ok

TIA
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Oct 10, 10:48 AM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 28,403 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Rose Elliot's golden lentil soup
    Dug out some old cookbooks yesterday & made Rose Elliott's Golden Lentil Soup from the Cheap & Easy vegetarian Cookbook. Was struck by how cheap, filling & nice it was. For anyone who'd like to try it, the only ingredients are:
    1 onion, chopped
    1 litre of vegetable stock (I use 4tspns Marigold powder to make mine....a drum of that lasts for ages)
    8 oz red split lentils
    Half oz butter or tblspn oil
    salt & pepper
    (Rose Elliot puts lemon juice in hers but I didn't bother as needed my 1 lemon for something else)
    Heat oil & cook chopped onion until softened but not browning. Add the lentils & stir for a monute or two. Add the stock, bring to the boil & simmer gently for 20 mins till lentils are soft. Remove from heat & liquidise. Add salt & pepper to taste. For so few ingredients, I was surprised how nice it was. Had forgotten how good that book is for cheap & filling recipes. Don't know if it's still in print, but always worth looking at the cookery books in charity shops, I've picked up some good thrifty ones there x
    • elf06
    • By elf06 7th Oct 10, 12:09 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Excellent - i have been looking to make lentil soup again as I always feel like its a real winter soup. I am always amazed at how cheap it is to make. could you tell me if this is a thick soup please as I like to stand my spoon up in lentil soup and will just adjust the amount of lentils if needed.
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • hitatotatus
    Try adding a teaspoon of cumin - great for taste and supposed to help stop the bloating you can get with lentils!!
    • Kate78
    • By Kate78 7th Oct 10, 2:36 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Kate78
    ^ Yes, totally agree with the above. I like to add the cumin at the same time as the onion.
    Barclaycard 0% - 1688.37 Paid off 10.06.12
    • jinny
    • By jinny 7th Oct 10, 8:59 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    i tried a recipe the same as that once but added a couple of tinned tomatoes and some grated carrot. Then blended when cooked and it was delicious a bit like heinz tomato
    Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together - Elizabeth Taylor
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 7th Oct 10, 10:04 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi foxgloves,

I've added your thread to the main thread on making lentil soup as it will help others to find your recipe more easily.

Pink
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Oct 10, 10:01 AM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 28,403 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Elf, yes it is pretty thick, but put a bit less water in and then if it's too thick for you then you can always dilute it back to the strength in the original recipe. I've had a big jug of it in the fridge & we've heated it up as & when we've needed it and I'd say it's got a tendency to get thicker if it sits. Hope you like it anyway.
  • moozie
    1 onion, chopped
    1 litre of vegetable stock (I use 4tspns Marigold powder to make mine....a drum of that lasts for ages)
    8 oz red split lentils
    salt & pepper
    Originally posted by foxgloves

Thanks foxgloves MAde a version of the above earlier. Had 11 oz of red lentils so used them up and added some more stock to balance it. I also added half a teaspoon of cumin and I had two rashers of bacon that needed to go so I dridled them and then chopped them into the pan.

I blended the entire soup after cooking it for about 45 mins and both of us loved it. A very thick, filling and tasty lunch
    Leason learnt
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 10th Oct 10, 11:37 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    For anyone who'd like to try it, the only ingredients are:
    1 onion, chopped
    8 oz red split lentils
    salt & pepper.....

forgotten how good that book is for cheap & filling recipes. Don't know if it's still in print, but always worth looking at the cookery books in charity shops, I've picked up some good thrifty ones there x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Thanks Foxgloves, I've just made a version of this, I used dried onion (no fresh), added a shake of chilli flakes and some bacon, used chicken stock (cube) and more like 1.5 litres of water.

Blitzed it all down and it's a lovely soup that isn't too thick (not a fan to soups that are gloopy!)

It's lovely thanks for the recipe.

I've got a Rose Elliot book somewhere that came from a charity shop, must try and dig it out.
    Piglet
  • bramble1
    This may be a stupid question, but do i need to cook my lentils before i make the soup or do they cook in the stock ? I think they cook in the stock, but the packet is very 'pre cook these!!!' i don't know!
    Annual Grocery Budget 364.00/1500
    Debt payments 2012 433.27
  • jackieglasgow
    What kind of lentils are they Bramble? red lentils cook in the soup.
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • bramble1
    they were red, just made my soup for lunches next week! Looks scrummy!
    Annual Grocery Budget 364.00/1500
    Debt payments 2012 433.27
    • PROLIANT
    • By PROLIANT 16th Jan 12, 6:04 PM
    • 6,045 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    PROLIANT
    Quick and tasty lentil soup
    100g of lentils
    50g Whole Wheat Cous Cous
    200g of frozen garden peas
    2 Veg stock cubes dissolved in 200 ml of boiling water
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 Desert spoon of black pepper
    1 Desert spoon of paprika

Chuck it all in a large pan and cover with boiling water leaving about 2 inches from top of pan, bring to boil for 10mins and simmer for 15.

Result; lush soup, very healthy and really cheap, cost around 1.10 serves 4 good sized bowls - just made it now from trial and no error :-)

Enjoy.
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
    • Byatt
    • By Byatt 16th Jan 12, 6:43 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 46,835 Thanks
    Byatt
    Do lentils need to be soaked beforehand?
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 16th Jan 12, 7:12 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 23,655 Thanks
    nuatha
    Do lentils need to be soaked beforehand?
    Originally posted by Byatt
    Depends on the lentils. I never soak red lentils, they cook quickly and don't need it. Puy lentils I soak for about half an hour, green and brown lentils I soak for at least 4 hours and generally overnight. And I've just realised I do it that way because that's how my grandmother and mother did, rather than having any scientific explanation for it.
    Although soaking is supposed to reduce gastric wind, (I'm not volunteering to change practices, if its right and I don't soak them OH would kill me )
    • Byatt
    • By Byatt 16th Jan 12, 7:21 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 46,835 Thanks
    Byatt
    Depends on the lentils. I never soak red lentils, they cook quickly and don't need it. Puy lentils I soak for about half an hour, green and brown lentils I soak for at least 4 hours and generally overnight. And I've just realised I do it that way because that's how my grandmother and mother did, rather than having any scientific explanation for it.
    Although soaking is supposed to reduce gastric wind, (I'm not volunteering to change practices, if its right and I don't soak them OH would kill me )
    Originally posted by nuatha
    Thanks Nuatha, I did Google, but opinion was divided.

I'm not organised enough to remember to soak, so may try the red lentils. I| haven't used them before but think I've eaten them.
    • rinabean
    • By rinabean 16th Jan 12, 7:34 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    rinabean
    I don't bother soaking lentils, but I do rinse them. They cook in 10-20 minutes, less for red. I love lentils!! I've never put couscous in with them before. I will try it next time, thank you
    • Alison Funnell
    • By Alison Funnell 16th Jan 12, 7:39 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Alison Funnell
    What size was the large pan? My idea of large and yours may vary a lot.
    Put the kettle on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,014Posts Today

6,812Users online

Martin's Twitter