New Post Advanced Search

Lentil soup

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
123 replies 23.9K views

Replies

• basil92basil92 Forumite
    12.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a load of green lentils and veg that need using up so thought about making Lentil Soup:D

However, I've just looked at my box of veg stock cubes...and they are a year out of date :o:o:o (shows how often I use stock cubes)

My question is...do you think the stock cubes will be ok:o

TIA :D
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself :cool:

Chopper98 wrote: »
    Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dug out some old cookbooks yesterday & made Rose Elliott's Golden Lentil Soup from the Cheap & Easy vegetarian Cookbook. Was struck by how cheap, filling & nice it was. For anyone who'd like to try it, the only ingredients are:
    1 onion, chopped
    1 litre of vegetable stock (I use 4tspns Marigold powder to make mine....a drum of that lasts for ages)
    8 oz red split lentils
    Half oz butter or tblspn oil
    salt & pepper
    (Rose Elliot puts lemon juice in hers but I didn't bother as needed my 1 lemon for something else)
    Heat oil & cook chopped onion until softened but not browning. Add the lentils & stir for a monute or two. Add the stock, bring to the boil & simmer gently for 20 mins till lentils are soft. Remove from heat & liquidise. Add salt & pepper to taste. For so few ingredients, I was surprised how nice it was. Had forgotten how good that book is for cheap & filling recipes. Don't know if it's still in print, but always worth looking at the cookery books in charity shops, I've picked up some good thrifty ones there x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227 2020= £53
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent - i have been looking to make lentil soup again as I always feel like its a real winter soup. I am always amazed at how cheap it is to make. could you tell me if this is a thick soup please as I like to stand my spoon up in lentil soup and will just adjust the amount of lentils if needed.
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Try adding a teaspoon of cumin - great for taste and supposed to help stop the bloating you can get with lentils!!:eek:
    £2012 in 2012 = £34.44
  • Kate78Kate78 Forumite
    525 posts
    ^ Yes, totally agree with the above. I like to add the cumin at the same time as the onion.
    Barclaycard 0% - [STRIKE]£1688.37 [/STRIKE] Paid off 10.06.12
  • jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    i tried a recipe the same as that once but added a couple of tinned tomatoes and some grated carrot. Then blended when cooked and it was delicious a bit like heinz tomato
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi foxgloves,

I've added your thread to the main thread on making lentil soup as it will help others to find your recipe more easily.

Pink
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Elf, yes it is pretty thick, but put a bit less water in and then if it's too thick for you then you can always dilute it back to the strength in the original recipe. I've had a big jug of it in the fridge & we've heated it up as & when we've needed it and I'd say it's got a tendency to get thicker if it sits. Hope you like it anyway.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227 2020= £53
  • moozie_2moozie_2 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    foxgloves wrote: »
    1 onion, chopped
    1 litre of vegetable stock (I use 4tspns Marigold powder to make mine....a drum of that lasts for ages)
    8 oz red split lentils
    salt & pepper

Thanks foxgloves :) MAde a version of the above earlier. Had 11 oz of red lentils so used them up and added some more stock to balance it. I also added half a teaspoon of cumin and I had two rashers of bacon that needed to go so I dridled them and then chopped them into the pan.

I blended the entire soup after cooking it for about 45 mins and both of us loved it. A very thick, filling and tasty lunch :T
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • foxgloves wrote: »
    For anyone who'd like to try it, the only ingredients are:
    1 onion, chopped
    8 oz red split lentils
    salt & pepper.....

forgotten how good that book is for cheap & filling recipes. Don't know if it's still in print, but always worth looking at the cookery books in charity shops, I've picked up some good thrifty ones there x

Thanks Foxgloves, I've just made a version of this, I used dried onion (no fresh), added a shake of chilli flakes and some bacon, used chicken stock (cube) and more like 1.5 litres of water.

Blitzed it all down and it's a lovely soup that isn't too thick (not a fan to soups that are gloopy!)

It's lovely :D thanks for the recipe.

I've got a Rose Elliot book somewhere that came from a charity shop, must try and dig it out.
    Piglet