New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Lentil soup

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
123 replies 23.9K views

Replies

• basil92basil92 Forumite
    12.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a load of green lentils and veg that need using up so thought about making Lentil Soup:D

However, I've just looked at my box of veg stock cubes...and they are a year out of date :o:o:o (shows how often I use stock cubes)

My question is...do you think the stock cubes will be ok:o

TIA :D
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself :cool:

Chopper98 wrote: »
    Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dug out some old cookbooks yesterday & made Rose Elliott's Golden Lentil Soup from the Cheap & Easy vegetarian Cookbook. Was struck by how cheap, filling & nice it was. For anyone who'd like to try it, the only ingredients are:
    1 onion, chopped
    1 litre of vegetable stock (I use 4tspns Marigold powder to make mine....a drum of that lasts for ages)
    8 oz red split lentils
    Half oz butter or tblspn oil
    salt & pepper
    (Rose Elliot puts lemon juice in hers but I didn't bother as needed my 1 lemon for something else)
    Heat oil & cook chopped onion until softened but not browning. Add the lentils & stir for a monute or two. Add the stock, bring to the boil & simmer gently for 20 mins till lentils are soft. Remove from heat & liquidise. Add salt & pepper to taste. For so few ingredients, I was surprised how nice it was. Had forgotten how good that book is for cheap & filling recipes. Don't know if it's still in print, but always worth looking at the cookery books in charity shops, I've picked up some good thrifty ones there x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227 2020= £53
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Excellent - i have been looking to make lentil soup again as I always feel like its a real winter soup. I am always amazed at how cheap it is to make. could you tell me if this is a thick soup please as I like to stand my spoon up in lentil soup and will just adjust the amount of lentils if needed.
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Try adding a teaspoon of cumin - great for taste and supposed to help stop the bloating you can get with lentils!!:eek:
    £2012 in 2012 = £34.44
  • Kate78Kate78 Forumite
    525 posts
    ^ Yes, totally agree with the above. I like to add the cumin at the same time as the onion.
    Barclaycard 0% - [STRIKE]£1688.37 [/STRIKE] Paid off 10.06.12
  • jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    i tried a recipe the same as that once but added a couple of tinned tomatoes and some grated carrot. Then blended when cooked and it was delicious a bit like heinz tomato
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi foxgloves,

I've added your thread to the main thread on making lentil soup as it will help others to find your recipe more easily.

Pink
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Elf, yes it is pretty thick, but put a bit less water in and then if it's too thick for you then you can always dilute it back to the strength in the original recipe. I've had a big jug of it in the fridge & we've heated it up as & when we've needed it and I'd say it's got a tendency to get thicker if it sits. Hope you like it anyway.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227 2020= £53
  • moozie_2moozie_2 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    foxgloves wrote: »
    1 onion, chopped
    1 litre of vegetable stock (I use 4tspns Marigold powder to make mine....a drum of that lasts for ages)
    8 oz red split lentils
    salt & pepper

Thanks foxgloves :) MAde a version of the above earlier. Had 11 oz of red lentils so used them up and added some more stock to balance it. I also added half a teaspoon of cumin and I had two rashers of bacon that needed to go so I dridled them and then chopped them into the pan.

I blended the entire soup after cooking it for about 45 mins and both of us loved it. A very thick, filling and tasty lunch :T
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • foxgloves wrote: »
    For anyone who'd like to try it, the only ingredients are:
    1 onion, chopped
    8 oz red split lentils
    salt & pepper.....

forgotten how good that book is for cheap & filling recipes. Don't know if it's still in print, but always worth looking at the cookery books in charity shops, I've picked up some good thrifty ones there x

Thanks Foxgloves, I've just made a version of this, I used dried onion (no fresh), added a shake of chilli flakes and some bacon, used chicken stock (cube) and more like 1.5 litres of water.

Blitzed it all down and it's a lovely soup that isn't too thick (not a fan to soups that are gloopy!)

It's lovely :D thanks for the recipe.

I've got a Rose Elliot book somewhere that came from a charity shop, must try and dig it out.
    Piglet