PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• claire1234
    Options
    done a tesco shop today, very pleased with everything i bought.

just having a good look at the recipt now to meal plan, got plenty in now,

spent £42.41

dont need anything else for at least a week,
  • welshkaz
    Options
    Another £4.29 for me today topped up our fruit in local market. but another nsd yesterday so doing ok x
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks sistercas :)
    goodgirl80 wrote: »
    What size was the cheddar?
    It's 400g 'cos I got some on Sunday

Makes it 42.3p/100g or £4.23 per kg - it's a good price
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Quick note for Hippiechiq

Firstly some (((hugs))) for you

Had an A5da delivery today. Did it yesterday and amended it a few times - delivered at 4pm exactly (he was 15 mins early but had to wait cos I nipped out to get DD as it was raining) (yeay!!)

Anyway, the total was exactly the same as the online order - all offers/ rollbacks etc certainly held from the Mon-Tues. I would have preferred it to be delivered tomorrow but chose today because a- the possibility of rollbacks changing liek you had and b- they gave me an e-coupon for £5 that expired today (and dlivery at 4pm was only £3, so I was £2 up :D)

I dislike our Asda very much and very very rarely go there - but I offer-shopped for this delivery, getting some of their cleaning stuff and then some things that I know are a few p cheaper there but which don't make it worth my while to go there if I was driving, as the benefit would be outweighed by fuel cost (and some of the things that I regularly buy are actually cheaper in messrs T & S)

Haven't added it to my signature yet..... ;)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    (((hugs)) Hippeechiq

popped into lidl spent £14.12

diced beef steak £1.99 on offer

shortcake bics 29p on offer
    licorice allsorts 75p :o

That beef is delicious, especially when you consider you can't even get Sainsburys basics for that price :eek:

Was walking to Lidl but it started raining(picked up some tips in denmark so i don't get completely dishevled in the rain and wind, swedish bun and snood!) so just went to Sainsburys instead. Lots of offers and reduced items, spent £4.88 + £1 on a new Jute that makes the walk back much easier:
    cucumber, tomatoes, nectarines, banana, garlic,
    frozen quorn mince(1/2 price, couldn't find dried), chopped tomatoes, quark, bread rolls, stuffing mix
    energy saving light bulbs, sandwich bags
    Me and the BF were drooling over the 1/2 price silverside- think we might buy a long one and chop it into chunks to freeze/eat.

Hopefully get to lidl later in the week as they have some fantastic offers on and I want to go to the market!
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Well onto 2nd day of my meal plan & so far so good, except I hadn't realised that OH's kids were coming tonight as well as tomorrow & Saturday but luckily they just had scampi & chips. We have sausage casserole tomorrow & as I have never made that before, I need to find a recipe. Am a little worried though that somebody won't like it & it will be wasted.

Had to pop to the Co Op tonight for some potatoes and ended up spending £18 odd. Not sure whether to be relatively pleased with the "bargains" that I got or disheartened about such an expensive bag of potatoes! Within my "bargains" was a half price box of Ferrero Roucher (£1.75) which I love! I gave them to OH with instructions to put them away somewhere and told him that he had such an easy life as I had been doing some xmas shopping for him as he nearly always gets me a box of these! I hope he does put them away soon though cos they look so inviting sitting in the kitchen!

Hippeechiq - thinking of you.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    LT Sally

Sausage Casserole - originally for 4 but will stretch to 6 easily

8 sausages
    oil (olive, sunflower - whatever)
    1 onion (chopped)
    2-3 cloves garlic (chopped) or a big squeeze of garlic puree
    1 1/2 peppers, chopped (whatever colours you like)
    2 handfuls of mushrooms (sliced or chopped according to preference)
    2 x tin of chopped tomatoes
    big squidge of tomato puree
    red wine (small glass/ large splosh) (optional but nice!)
    dried chilli or paprika to taste
    1/2 tsp mixed herbs/ italian seasoning or whatever you've got around

Chop sausages into bite sized pieces (scissors work well!) About 8 pieces a sausage, I guess. Using a large saucepan, gently fry off until brown (important bit - they look insipid if casseroled without being browned off!) Put to one side and then soften onion and garlic (use same pan with the sausage fat in) Add peppers and mushrooms and cook for about 3-5 mins.
    Put sausages back in pan with tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, wine, herbs. Simmer until it's cooked (about 20-30 mins)

Nice made earlier and then re-heated, as chilli/ paprika flavour develops.

Eat with hunks of French stick (or rice or jkts, I guess :D)

You can bulk it out more with other veg and a handful of lentils in, but I tend to have veg on the side with it instead to bulk it out :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 September 2010 at 10:13PM
    Options
    dazzle21 wrote: »
    ... Have some peaches in desperate need of using up and i am tempted to make chutney, I heard someone mention 'curried peach chutney' but i can't see a recipe, if anyone has one would you share? Pretty Please!!

Recipe for Peach Chutney at the Great British Kitchen website; found this on a thread recently but can't remember where I saw it to credit the op, sorry :o

eta

and greent's sausage casserole recipe is now in the front page index :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    ((hugs)) to Hippeechiq.

Have to add on a weeny spend of 37p today, on some sweetcorn which they didn't have in when I went at the weekend. They still didn't have it in today, so I had to get the twice as big tin which was bizarrely about the same price. It's ok though, rejigged meal plan so it will get used up no bother. I might try and work it so I can get the big one again in future now. I hadn't before as I thought it wouldn't get used, but it's been working for me with baked beans so as it's double the amount for the same price I'm sure I can work it out for this too.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    goodgirl80 wrote: »
    What size was the cheddar?

its 400g so a good offer :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business