Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

September 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 74

New Post Advanced Search

September 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 August 2010 at 9:03PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.1K views

Replies

• Been into town today with my sister and mum picked up some tin foil in poundland for oddly enough a pound.
    Then spotted some bags of sweet pointed peppers on the market, a bag of 5 peppers for 50p!!! I use them in everything nearly so got two bags which I intend to batch up and freeze.

So another £2 spent on groceries.
    GC 2011
    Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    :A Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon) :A

• wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    £7 spend in the local shop on essentials (crisps...Ice cream....LOL) will update my sig now. Need to make a loaf in the BM for tomorrow for toast.
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • edited 13 September 2010 at 6:52PM
    pepsi-kinspepsi-kins Forumite
    94 posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2010 at 6:52PM
    Hi All,
    Last week was a cheap week, spent less than a tenner, on a few bits. My total is now £154.40 out of a budget of £175. Need a few more cheap weeks, if I'm going to come in on budget at the end of the month!

I've made a few amendments to my menu plan, to save me going to the shop and buying more ingredients. I even managed 6 NSD's last week. Got given a tray of eggs, so thats helped, and have made a huge batch of pasta sauce, from the remaining tomatoes in the greenhouse.

I'm with the rest of you, I love being money saving! It makes me laugh at work, the girls go on about all the named stuff they've bought at the weekend, and then at the end of the month, they moan about their CC bill!! crazy.:rotfl:

Have a good week all x
    2019 G/C £3072.39
    Vouchers: £352.61

2020 G/C £2221.83
    Vouchers:£199.75/Ipsos £33.24
  • I'm pleased to finally report my second NSD of the month, by writing it here I can stave off temptation to go and buy some things I want before midnight! My definition of a NSD is when I don't buy anything but I don't include bills, direct debits etc. in that.
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

I'm off to yoga in a min, haven't been since July so I'll be aching tomorrow!

Loving your conversation about those who don't get being MSE, it amazes me how some people live and then state they're on the breadline etc. :mad:

Hippeechiq, what's up sweetie? Come on, you're a really good supporter of us all on here and I would hate to think you can't share or turn to us for similar support. You are doing brilliantly well and we all get bad days. Sending you loads of hugs :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: 'cos you deserve them for all the support you give us. I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Wish I could say more but have to run now. Will see you all tomorrow. Keep up the excellent work.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Shopping day today. Was in the city so was able to pop into Farmfoods where I spent £11.84 (multisave of £1) and Mr M's where I spent £24.67 (massive multisave of £7.67). Total stands at £105 which seems quite high to me, considering I was meant to be living from the freezer/store cupboards. :o
    Will stay away from the shops till the weekend now!
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300
  • kerrypnkerrypn Forumite
    1.2K posts
    £7.57 today for me today on SMA. Managed to make chicken into butties,chicken and courgette risotto,chicken chilli,chicken soup and chicken dinner :D I have enough for main meals this week due to my little freebie bag, so it should just be little bits for lunch this week and I need to do a farmfoods run.

Dead chuffed I joined this :D
  • nsd for me (no 2 this month), yet to do this months totals, i think i'm learning i must start on day 1 and do daily, as not motivated to work it all out now..
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • Hi
    My DH gets paid on 15th of month so I am going to join in but it may not fit in properly with the set challenge. I need some motivation as I have a budget of £260 per month for 2 adults and 3 children (6,4, 5 months). Firstly is this realistic? my dh thinks so! My matenity pay endsthis month so I can no longer subsidise any extra spending so really need to stick to the budget, dh is pretty set that that is all I am getting and it should be enough.

Look foward to getting to know you better and reading your really helpful advice.
    Fashion on a ration 0 of 66
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    aliwali wrote: »
    I need some motivation as I have a budget of £260 per month for 2 adults and 3 children (6,4, 5 months). Firstly is this realistic?
    Depends on several things

What does this cover? Just food? Toiletries and cleaning items? Baby items such as nappies (and formula milk)?

What type of things do you buy? Named goods? (And if so are you prepared to try the downshift challenge?) Meat? Organic items? Processed meals?

Do you have access to Whoopsies (reduced to clear items) due to living near to a supermarket that does a reasonable line in these? How picky are you on BBE dates? (Could you get some of your staples from somewhere like App Foods knowing they're already out of date?)

Can you batch cook? Do you have freezer space (so you can buy in bulk)? Do you have a slow cooker so you can use cheaper cuts of meat?

Do you have easy access to main-stream supermarkets, or are you (mainly or fully) tied to expensive local shops?
    Cheryl