September 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 August 2010 at 9:03PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.1K views

Replies

• purplevamppurplevamp Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just popping in with my total before the kids go to bed. Spent £53.44 in Mr S on Saturday (I know it's Tuesday today :o). I've updated my total. Have a good evening everyone.:)
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £115,080.19 Dec 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £215 (2019 ~ £370)
    Surveys ~ £183.24 (2019 ~ £284.69)
    PTC, etc ~ $89.00 ~ (2019 ~ $189.25)

“I Love You" "I Know"
  • hi everyone havent posted lately but been reading and keeping up to date :) ive been to the supermarket a few times since i last posted and in all have spent £23.56, out of this i managed to get quite a few whoopsies :j finally found the shelf in my local mr t ;)

Still got to do my online shop this week, also need to find time to do some baking as i havent for ages. Well the weather is now turning so i can see my slow cooker coming out a bit more often now, the thought of stews and casseroles and soups makes me feel all cosy inside :)

Hope all the newbies are getting on ok with the challenge, hopefully one day i might actually come in on target!
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • carolt2carolt2 Forumite
    852 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, not posted on the GC thread for quite some time:o.

Nice to see the familar names as well as some new ones.

Been trying to keep on track with spends but not managing too well.
    Too much happening away from MSE.

Spent £21 ish at sainsburys on saturday, had a AF order another £26.42 spent there and then spent 3.74 at Co-op this afternoon.

Off to catch up on some more of the thread and update signature.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • £2.27 spent at Aldi yesterday on eggs, leeks and onions (one of which was rotten....grr!)

£5.26 spent in Tesco today. I haven't felt like much to eat lately but really fancied a wrap at lunchtime so went and got one. Saw Herbal Essences was on BOGOF so got some of that too.

The leeks will be made into leek and potato soup in my slow cooker tomorrow.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Bought no groceries today and it was also an NSD.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • greent wrote: »
    LT Sally

Sausage Casserole - originally for 4 but will stretch to 6 easily

8 sausages
    oil (olive, sunflower - whatever)
    1 onion (chopped)
    2-3 cloves garlic (chopped) or a big squeeze of garlic puree
    1 1/2 peppers, chopped (whatever colours you like)
    2 handfuls of mushrooms (sliced or chopped according to preference)
    2 x tin of chopped tomatoes
    big squidge of tomato puree
    red wine (small glass/ large splosh) (optional but nice!)
    dried chilli or paprika to taste
    1/2 tsp mixed herbs/ italian seasoning or whatever you've got around

Thank you for this recipe:A, not only does it sound really tasty but also follows my style of cooking! (squidge, splosh, handful:p) so will definitely be giving it a go. I usually find that I have to follow a recipe then re-write it to remove all use of scales, jugs etc as I always cook in a rush and can never be bothered with all the extra items. :rotfl:

Thanks again

• Mrs_Money_PennyMrs_Money_Penny Forumite
    816 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All
    Just added another £74.96 to my total which I spent in MrS on Friday. Shouldn't need much for a couple of weeks hopefully. Good luck everyone.
    £23356.04£44348.32/[COLOR="Red£1985.16[/COLOR]Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • Went to T*sco yesterday and spent £23.35 on fruit & veg mainly plus some orange juice, butter and a french stick.

Made some mushroom soup and we had that for tea with the bread last night as DS was out and we were not really hungry.

Tea tonight was using things out of the freezer - prawn stir fry for DH & DS and I had a stir fry with a lamb steak that was suffering slightly from freezer burn.

Tomorrow intend to make some deepfried haggis bites but never done them before and only had them once so it will be pot luck if they turn out ok. (haggis was brought for us so cost nothing - thats the price I get excited about):rotfl:

Today was a no spend day, well actually brought food on motorway cafe :eek: but it will be reimbursed so doesnt count. One Tea one coffee, two bacon toasties and a small bottle of juice was over £15 :eek::eek: If didnt get the money back would most certainly give the motorway services a miss.

Think our apples may be ready next week as well. We only have a small tree of eating apples but it always does well. We tend to give a lot away to friends but then we get other stuff in return so all good.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    CupOfChai wrote: »

Have to add on a weeny spend of 37p today, on some sweetcorn which they didn't have in when I went at the weekend. They still didn't have it in today, so I had to get the twice as big tin which was bizarrely about the same price. It's ok though, rejigged meal plan so it will get used up no bother. I might try and work it so I can get the big one again in future now. I hadn't before as I thought it wouldn't get used, but it's been working for me with baked beans so as it's double the amount for the same price I'm sure I can work it out for this too.

Tinned sweetcorn freezes fine - I just rinse it of the slimy stuff first and pop it in a freezer bag (if I have enough space I try and do it all nice and flat, and then I can break it up into individual bits rather than a block, too! :D)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £596.06/£500 Decluttering: 1925/2020
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    EvieSaver wrote: »
    Thank you for this recipe:A, not only does it sound really tasty but also follows my style of cooking! (squidge, splosh, handful:p) so will definitely be giving it a go. I usually find that I have to follow a recipe then re-write it to remove all use of scales, jugs etc as I always cook in a rush and can never be bothered with all the extra items. :rotfl:

Thanks again

lol! Thank you :) I view recipes as a guide to look at and then play with. I'm very much a 'splosh/ handful/ throw some in' person, but am mindful that others aren't! ;) It's quite saucy as is, which is why it's nice with hunks of bread. Lentils and more veg would add bulk to the sauce, but I like it - or 1 less tin of toms could be used, I guess, if anyone fancied it less saucy.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £596.06/£500 Decluttering: 1925/2020