Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Aug 10, 11:12 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th Aug 10, 11:12 PM
    26th Aug 10 at 11:12 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-08-2010 at 8:03 PM.
Page 25
  • ChocClare
    For the sauces i usually use tinned tomatoes though as i have a glut to put it mildly of fresh tomatoes (I'm provided with, thank you mum and dad, with around a carrier bag full a week at the moment) does anyone have recipes that i can use as a guide for a basic pizza/ pasta sauce?
    Also any suggestions with apples apart from the obvious apple sauce, pies, crumbles as of the end of next week i should have enough of those to fill a very large chest freezer so i'll have to be creative.
    Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post. I'm sure i'll bore you all rigid over the next few weeks with questions and asking for suggestions for bizarre cupboard ingredients.
    Originally posted by loulou0327
    I am very impressed with your success!

You can use fresh tomatoes as you would tinned. One tip is to bung 'em in the freezer (whole) for a day or so, then leave them to defrost. They sort of collapse, and the skins just slide off with no messing about. They are then the consistency of tinned tomatoes, more or less, and need only to be chopped or whizzed up in a food processor.

My standard recipe for tomato sauce is:

Chop an onion and grate a carrot. Fry off gently in a little olive oil, with some celery or celery leaves if you have them. Crush a clove of garlic once the onions are softened and bung that in too. Cook for approx one minute, then tip in your tomatoes, a GOOD spoonful of sugar, pepper and salt to taste, a sprinkle of herbes de provence or oregano or basil and a tablespoonful of olive oil. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer, gently for about twenty minutes. Use as is, or for a smoother, thicker and more consistent sauce, whizz up in a food processor or with one of those wandy things.

If you are making pizza base sauce, you can intensify the flavour by adding a spoonful of tomato puree before you add the ordinary tomatoes, and by simmering, uncovered, until the sauce has reduced by about half.

Apples: are nice baked: core the apple, stuff with a mixture of butter, sultanas and cinnamon and bung in oven; cut the apples into rings and dry them; make the famous fruit leather above(!) or make my WONDERFUL No-Cook Date & Apple Chutney - the best chutney in the entire world - presidents and emperors queue to have this with their cheese sandwich:

1lb each of
    dates
    sultanas (I use Tesco value ones)
    apples
    onions (value again)
    brown sugar
    1pt malt vinegar
    1 rounded tsp salt, pinch cayenne pepper and 1oz pickling spice, tied in a piece of muslin.

Mince the dates (unless they're already chopped). Put all the ingredients into a LARGE bowl. Leave for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove spice bag. Transfer into sterilised jars. Leave a couple of months before eating.

Do you want that information again? It is so easy, and very, very delicious. Makes 5 or 6 jars, so you could double up and make the rest into Christmas presents.

I am just eating the last of the September 2006 batch (it was at the back of the cupboard, and I ate the 2008 batch before it). I only make it every other year, but it definitely improves with age - and once you open it, it can just sit in the larder - I've never put it in the fridge yet and I've been eating it (my mum and grandmother's versions at least) since I was a child which is - gulp - about forty years ago now.

HTH
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 7th Sep 10, 5:52 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    morning

I had a NSD yesterday

i will nip to lidl today after work as i need some greek yog (£1.99 for 1kg!) and butter

will try hard to keep off the choc whilst i'm there

i like the sound of the fruit leathers i might have a go
  • EllieA
    Hi just checking in, i haven't tumbled from the wagon i just haven't spent anything since thursday!! which is fab because i was abit worried i was spending too much too quick out of this months budget but to seems to have level'ed off. So 4 NSD's for me so far.
  • EllieA
    morning

I had a NSD yesterday

i will nip to lidl today after work as i need some greek yog (£1.99 for 1kg!) and butter

will try hard to keep off the choc whilst i'm there

i like the sound of the fruit leathers i might have a go
    Originally posted by sistercas
    I LOVE the lidl greek yogurt... yum!
  • majjak
    Morning all, just milk and potatoes needed here today. Not even going to look round for any bargains - straight in and straight out, that's my tactic !

Lamb byriani was delicious ! Bit of an oddment but we had Xmas pud and custard for dessert - I found some mini puds lurking at the back of cupboard so thought I'd use them up .

I've done my weekly online shop (Mr A) - just over £50 from memory - it'll be delivered tomorrow so I'll upate sig when it arrives.

I shall have to read up on these fruit leathers I think, it'll make a change from jams/chutneys
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
    • elf06
    • By elf06 7th Sep 10, 7:00 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Morning all. Not been on for a bit due to there being nothing to report . Have not spent anything since 2nd Sept so thats 5 NSD's . This will, however, all change today as there are a few bits I need and I got a CAT from Mr T for £4 off a £30 spend so I will be making the most of this!! Not sure I will need this amount of shopping but I can easily make it up to this by buying things that WILL be needed at a later date (and have no dates on them - wipes, laundry liquid etc).
    I was working at checkouts yesterday (not my normal job but went down to help out) and saw some lovely looking value port chops - now I am not a fan of pork but was wondering if any of you lovely people have any good recipes for pork chops in the slow cooker??? They were soooo cheap and looked so lovely and fresh that I'd like to give them a go - maybe something with apples????
    Anyways enough rambling from me!! Didnt have time to catch up on the whole thread so appologies to anything or anyone I missed
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Winged one
    DH got bread and milk last night, so another €4. But that should be it this week. And we didn't have the tomato linguine last night (far too wintery weather for it) so I made a pork chop suey from pork pieces (I had chopped 2 chops into chunks before freezing) rapidly defrosted, a bunch of stirfry veggies from fridge (mushrooms, brocolli, baby corns needing using, mangetout, red pepper), a pack of sauce and a dash of chinese rice wine, and quick cook noodles from cupboard. I keep forgetting about meals like that.

I have the chorizo bake in the oven on teh timer for tonight. But I forgot to keep the bacon pieces for mac'n'cheese later this week, so I may postpone that or else go with no meat (it's fine with just plenty veg, but DH can get antsy about the lack of MEAT!).

Oh well, I might pop into Lidl once I collect DD, to get the bacon and chorizo that I just used up, and some creme fraiche to cool the pot bake for DD.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • laisbojar83
    Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well
    Spent 60.58 on my weekly shopping this morning.. 0.58p overbudget!!
    Had 2 NSD, Sunday and Monday. Also hoping No more SD this week.. but as we all know lol never happens.
    Finally finished redecorating the living room and I loveeee it. Now working on the hall
    My son starts school next week and his teachers are visiting us tomorrow morning so I am trying to get the place as spotless as possible which is almost impossible because while I clean one bit the kids are messing another one lol
    I better go clean more
    Have a great day everyone
    xxx
    L.
  • claire1234
    hiya everyone,

just checking in, have no spends to report been very good and careful with the way ive been using food & making meals,
    remembering to use most fresh stuff first then frozen/tinned - i use to always take the easy option of using something tinned & all the fresh stuff would go off.

my oh loves mash - would eat it everyone & with anything, so i made loads and put into small portions and in the freezer so i`ll have a easy week now!
    been sort of meal planning & its going very well, last night i made some kebab sticks with meatballs so tonight will be the meatballs with pasta & sauce,

great thread - hope everyone has a good day
  • seasalt
    Have just had to update my signature as went to the shop to get dogfood and tinfoil this morning and came back with half price loo rolls, ditto baked beans and some other tins for my storecupboard - oh and I forgot the tinfoil! Will just have to do without it until next week's shop!

My freezer is full - have just about got room to squeeze a fish pie in - tea tonight and making one to freeze as well - and then that's it! I would really like a small chest freezer to store more garden veg for the winter but not sure where we could fit it in. Brambles are going to be ripe here very soon too and will make bramble jelly but would like to freeze some too or maybe will have to bottle them? We ARE eating out of the freezer too, but not as fast as I want to put things in!
    Jan 2011 GC £300/£150.79 (2 adults, 2 teens, working dog, includes food/cleaning/toiletries)
  • rosieben
    I'll have to go to the shops tomorrow as I have a parcel to post and I need milk and plain flour - expected spend less than £5 (I suspect a small bar of choc might find its way into my basket)

I just found a really easy recipe for Tasty Lemon Tart which I'll be trying it tomorrow as I have some bottled lemon juice that needs using up; let me know if you want me to add a link to the recipe index

off now to catch up on the thread, good luck everyone
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 7th Sep 10, 11:16 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hi All!

Just updating my spends of £11.74 this week. Got 2 packs of mushrooms and a pack of reduced spinach for this weeks meals. Last night I had Spaghetti Carbonara, will use the rest of the Elmlea on a meal next week. Wednesday I'll do a Lemon, Mushroom and Spinach Pilaf. Friday I'll do a sort of Pasta dish with the rest of the Spinach and Mushrooms, the rest of the bacon from last night, leftover Mozzarella in the fridge, garlic and Passata.

Flatmate will cook tonight, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday - undecided yet

Also got 2 packs of bagels (half price) for lunch, to go with the rest of my Philadelphia (it will be a LONG time before I buy this again!), wraps (half price) to go with burgers from the freezer next week (will just need salad), and chickpeas + cashew nuts for a chickpea pilaf meal next week. I'm trying to do one veggie meal a week since it's cheaper.

Shouldn't need much now. I'm having to pack tins on top of each other in the cupboard which is unheard of in my place!!!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 7th Sep 10, 11:56 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    bought bread, milk, eggs and crackers in farmfoods today so that should be it until the weekend.... famous last words!!!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Did shoppin at MrT last night. On £40 so far this month but that includes cooking dinner for sis, her bf and mum and dad on sat so bit extra for starter and roast. Also OH got some fancy cheese for his lunches, but it's better to get a £3 bit of cheese and eat his lunch than not fancy what he has and go out and buy some for £3 a day prob! Not doin to bad, shouldn't need anything till next week apart from bread maybe.
  • majjak
    Oops forgot about fabric conditioner and d/w tabs earlier. I was going to downshift on the d/w tabs as well as fabric conditioner but the d/w tabs were on offer - top end worked out cheaper than Mr S own. Spent £8.47 so not too bad. Would have been worse if I hadn't been on this challenge
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • rosieben
    does anyone know a good recipe for bread?! i tried the bread featured on...

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/recipe-breadofheaven.html?opt=p1m1

...to the T but its still gone wrong. i dont know where though! its quite 'doughy' to taste, any ideas?
    Originally posted by nat21luv
    not sure whether you're making by hand or with a bread maker but here are a few links that might be useful

Home made bread
    Quick questions on bread making
    Adventures with bread dough
    Artisan bread in 5 minutes

Last edited by rosieben; 18-09-2010 at 6:04 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - not logged on for a while but I have been busy up the Allotment and the Garden so had lots of produce to turn into "things" for the Freezer etc.

Made a lovely Plum crumble from Delia's book, used courgettes to make a cheesy Risotto type dish from a recipe book a friend gave me called "grow it cook it", from the same book I made some Choc muffins which have grated Beetroot in them, yum, they didn't stay around for long. Also finally got a decent amount of ripe Tomatoes and made a batch of Tomato Sauce for the Freezer, some fallen apples from our tree were made into an Apple pie so been a very productive time.

Off up to the Allotment again tomorrow and going to cut some more Corn on the cobs, had some last week which I cooked in the Steamer and then melted some garlic butter over them.

Dinner tonight is boiled Gammon which was whoopsied in Lid!, shall serve it with some HM chips, peas and sweetcorn. Will keep the stock the Gammon is boiled in and make some soup tomorrow, the way this weather is going we might be glad of soup.

When checking the contents of my Cupboards I found a couple of bags of Yellow Split peas - any ideas/recipes that anyone can pass on? I've only ever made a Dhal with them but wondered if there was anything else I can use them for.

Have a good evening everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• hedgesparrow
    • By hedgesparrow 7th Sep 10, 4:05 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    hedgesparrow
    Hello, newbie here. Is it too late to join in? I would like to be put down for £100 for the month please. Just me and husband. We have done our big shop for the month already which cost £45.28

I have really enjoyed reading all these posts - so thank you everyone for posting!
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • wssla00
    Hi everyone - not logged on for a while but I have been busy up the Allotment and the Garden so had lots of produce to turn into "things" for the Freezer etc.

Made a lovely Plum crumble from Delia's book, used courgettes to make a cheesy Risotto type dish from a recipe book a friend gave me called "grow it cook it", from the same book I made some Choc muffins which have grated Beetroot in them, yum, they didn't stay around for long. Also finally got a decent amount of ripe Tomatoes and made a batch of Tomato Sauce for the Freezer, some fallen apples from our tree were made into an Apple pie so been a very productive time.

Off up to the Allotment again tomorrow and going to cut some more Corn on the cobs, had some last week which I cooked in the Steamer and then melted some garlic butter over them.

Dinner tonight is boiled Gammon which was whoopsied in Lid!, shall serve it with some HM chips, peas and sweetcorn. Will keep the stock the Gammon is boiled in and make some soup tomorrow, the way this weather is going we might be glad of soup.

When checking the contents of my Cupboards I found a couple of bags of Yellow Split peas - any ideas/recipes that anyone can pass on? I've only ever made a Dhal with them but wondered if there was anything else I can use them for.

Originally posted by scotsaver
    I make split pea soup with them using ham stock, leeks, carrots, soaked split peas and a tablespoon of curry powder, then blend it up for a nice warming soup
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Sep 10, 4:54 PM
    • 8,114 Posts
    • 82,404 Thanks
    greent

Originally posted by scotsaver
    Hmm... the gammon stock would be perfect with these and some gammon crumbs for a ham/ pea soup

ETA: ooh, wssla's suggested something similar already
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

1,989Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin