September 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 August 2010 at 9:03PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.1K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like nut roast with a pasta sauce as a topping (in place of gracy with meat) - especially a garlic-y tomato one :)
    Cheryl
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Freezing cooked pizza's fine - although it's fine in the fridge for a couple of days too.

Nut roast - mix with sausagemeat before cooking to tone it down (use a part pack with about 3 sausages) Other than that I have no idea... sorry
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £596.06/£500 Decluttering: 1925/2020
  • Milly-Ann-MollyMilly-Ann-Molly Forumite
    519 posts
    500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    I have managed to spend £11.69 on random rubbish in the corner shop this week...all purchases were to avoid a cashpoint useage fee of £1.99 per trip...I had to spend £5 in store for free withdrawls! Living rurally can suck! I suppose I will use the milk etc. I bought bread though and I much prefer to make it by hand. I find shop bought lasts only a day or so :(

I will have to attempt fruit & veg shop tomorrow in mr T on a very tight budget of £40...wish me luck x
    Make £/day February: £163.83 / £290
    Quidco £2,643.80 NSD Feb: 5
    2018 Road Kill £0
    Nectar 8.05 Morrisons 15.00
  • purplevamppurplevamp Forumite
    8.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick pop in while I'm here to add £1.49 for bread and apples from yesterday!
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £115,080.19 Dec 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £215 (2019 ~ £370)
    Surveys ~ £184.74 (2019 ~ £284.69)
    PTC, etc ~ $89.00 ~ (2019 ~ $189.25)

“I Love You" "I Know"
  • One BIG expense this month - have had to replace freezer!! Not that the old one owes us anything as it must be 40+ years old! I believe that modern ones are far more efficient so may not work out so bad in the long run. Old one 'chest' type but replacing it with an upright with drawers as I am finding it increasingly difficult to get things out from the bottom. So hoping to be better organised in the freezer.

I have started decanting 1/2 shampoo, conditioner, washing up liquid etc. and topping up with water. I still 'squeeze' the same amount but product lasts twice as long. Also, I have very dry skin and find I get through lots of body lotion but lately have been taking a little sunflower oil (a dessert spn is enough for a body) adding a few drops of lavender oil and rubbing it on when I go to bed.

When I think of the money I used to spend on food when I was working (£600-£800/month) for 2 people. It seems very wasteful now. I can't believe how much I am saving now and we haven't noticed any real difference. I have got so many ideas and tips from you wonderful MoneySavers!
  • ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    scotsaver wrote: »

When checking the contents of my Cupboards I found a couple of bags of Yellow Split peas - any ideas/recipes that anyone can pass on? I've only ever made a Dhal with them but wondered if there was anything else I can use them for.:cool:

Have a good evening everyone.:D

I cut this recipe out of a Waitrose magazine a while back - haven't tried it yet, but it looked (there was a photo in the magazine, LOL) and sounded very scrummy.
  • kerrypnkerrypn Forumite
    1.2K posts
    NSD today :D in desperate need of a big shop but have a stonking cold so I have been raiding the freezer reserves! I have something in mind for tea tomorrow, and MIGHT be able to stretch what I have until weekend with a bit of luck. DS1 has his first day at reception tomorrow :eek: cant believe it already!!!
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    gdyr1945 wrote: »
    One BIG expense this month - have had to replace freezer!! Not that the old one owes us anything as it must be 40+ years old! I believe that modern ones are far more efficient so may not work out so bad in the long run. Old one 'chest' type but replacing it with an upright with drawers as I am finding it increasingly difficult to get things out from the bottom.
    I did the same swap in Oct '08, except my (small) chest one wasn't quite 17 years old. It did still work, but having seen how much electricity it used (hooked it up to a monitor for a couple of weeks) I almost had a heart attack - so that, combined with my problems getting to the bottom due to a bad back, was enough of an excuse to change it. (I freecycled the old one with a warning it ate electricity, and was inundated with requests for it!)
    So hoping to be better organised in the freezer.
    No comment - other than (now I have a stocktake in a spreadsheet that indicates which drawer everythings in) I have less to dig through to find what I'm after blush.gif

My parents have a very big chest freezer in their garage which must be 40 years old, and I dread to think how much of their electricity bill is due to that :eek:
    Cheryl
  • loulou0327 wrote: »
    A quick question if you don't mind.
    I currently make all my own pasta, pizza sauces and soups and have done so for a few years. For the sauces i usually use tinned tomatoes though as i have a glut to put it mildly of fresh tomatoes (I'm provided with, thank you mum and dad, with around a carrier bag full a week at the moment) does anyone have recipes that i can use as a guide for a basic pizza/ pasta sauce?

I have a tomato glut too.

I make roast tomato passata - I put the tomatoes in a baking tray cut in half with a few crushed unpeeled garlic cloves. I drizzle with oil and salt and pepper. Then I roast for about 45mins at 180 degrees C. I pour the lot into a sieve and push it through with a spoon so there are no "bits" but I don't see why you couldn't blend it up instead with the skins etc.

I then stick it in the freezer in freezer bags or small plastic bottles and defrost it when I need it. I use it to make tomato soup (add chicken stock and reheat) or pasta sauce as it is or with veg.
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    well I managed my 'big' shop tonight and spent a total of £22.73 which is surprisingly good for what i got - have updated my sig and I am feeling quite optimistic about this months challenge
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!