September 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 August 2010 at 9:03PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.1K views

Replies

• NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi All!

Just updating my spends of £11.74 this week. Got 2 packs of mushrooms and a pack of reduced spinach for this weeks meals. Last night I had Spaghetti Carbonara, will use the rest of the Elmlea on a meal next week. Wednesday I'll do a Lemon, Mushroom and Spinach Pilaf. Friday I'll do a sort of Pasta dish with the rest of the Spinach and Mushrooms, the rest of the bacon from last night, leftover Mozzarella in the fridge, garlic and Passata. :D

Flatmate will cook tonight, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday - undecided yet :o

Also got 2 packs of bagels (half price) for lunch, to go with the rest of my Philadelphia (it will be a LONG time before I buy this again!), wraps (half price) to go with burgers from the freezer next week (will just need salad), and chickpeas + cashew nuts for a chickpea pilaf meal next week. I'm trying to do one veggie meal a week since it's cheaper.

Shouldn't need much now. I'm having to pack tins on top of each other in the cupboard which is unheard of in my place!!! :eek:
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • Lindy_-_LooLindy_-_Loo Forumite
    800 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    bought bread, milk, eggs and crackers in farmfoods today so that should be it until the weekend.... famous last words!!!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • Did shoppin at MrT last night. On £40 so far this month but that includes cooking dinner for sis, her bf and mum and dad on sat so bit extra for starter and roast. Also OH got some fancy cheese for his lunches, but it's better to get a £3 bit of cheese and eat his lunch than not fancy what he has and go out and buy some for £3 a day prob! Not doin to bad, shouldn't need anything till next week apart from bread maybe.
  • majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 posts
    Oops forgot about fabric conditioner and d/w tabs earlier. I was going to downshift on the d/w tabs as well as fabric conditioner but the d/w tabs were on offer - top end worked out cheaper than Mr S own. Spent £8.47 so not too bad. Would have been worse if I hadn't been on this challenge :D
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • edited 18 September 2010 at 7:04PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2010 at 7:04PM
    nat21luv wrote: »
    does anyone know a good recipe for bread?! i tried the bread featured on...

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/recipe-breadofheaven.html?opt=p1m1

...to the T but its still gone wrong. i dont know where though! its quite 'doughy' to taste, any ideas?

not sure whether you're making by hand or with a bread maker but here are a few links that might be useful ;)

Home made bread
    Quick questions on bread making
    Adventures with bread dough
    Artisan bread in 5 minutes

... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hi everyone - not logged on for a while but I have been busy up the Allotment and the Garden so had lots of produce to turn into "things" for the Freezer etc.

Made a lovely Plum crumble from Delia's book, used courgettes to make a cheesy Risotto type dish from a recipe book a friend gave me called "grow it cook it", from the same book I made some Choc muffins which have grated Beetroot in them, yum, they didn't stay around for long. Also finally got a decent amount of ripe Tomatoes and made a batch of Tomato Sauce for the Freezer, some fallen apples from our tree were made into an Apple pie so been a very productive time.;)

Off up to the Allotment again tomorrow and going to cut some more Corn on the cobs, had some last week which I cooked in the Steamer and then melted some garlic butter over them.

Dinner tonight is boiled Gammon which was whoopsied in Lid!, shall serve it with some HM chips, peas and sweetcorn. Will keep the stock the Gammon is boiled in and make some soup tomorrow, the way this weather is going we might be glad of soup.

When checking the contents of my Cupboards I found a couple of bags of Yellow Split peas - any ideas/recipes that anyone can pass on? I've only ever made a Dhal with them but wondered if there was anything else I can use them for.:cool:

Have a good evening everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Hello, newbie here. Is it too late to join in? I would like to be put down for £100 for the month please. Just me and husband. We have done our big shop for the month already which cost £45.28

I have really enjoyed reading all these posts - so thank you everyone for posting!
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    scotsaver wrote: »
    Hi everyone - not logged on for a while but I have been busy up the Allotment and the Garden so had lots of produce to turn into "things" for the Freezer etc.

Made a lovely Plum crumble from Delia's book, used courgettes to make a cheesy Risotto type dish from a recipe book a friend gave me called "grow it cook it", from the same book I made some Choc muffins which have grated Beetroot in them, yum, they didn't stay around for long. Also finally got a decent amount of ripe Tomatoes and made a batch of Tomato Sauce for the Freezer, some fallen apples from our tree were made into an Apple pie so been a very productive time.;)

Off up to the Allotment again tomorrow and going to cut some more Corn on the cobs, had some last week which I cooked in the Steamer and then melted some garlic butter over them.

Dinner tonight is boiled Gammon which was whoopsied in Lid!, shall serve it with some HM chips, peas and sweetcorn. Will keep the stock the Gammon is boiled in and make some soup tomorrow, the way this weather is going we might be glad of soup.

When checking the contents of my Cupboards I found a couple of bags of Yellow Split peas - any ideas/recipes that anyone can pass on? I've only ever made a Dhal with them but wondered if there was anything else I can use them for.:cool:

I make split pea soup with them using ham stock, leeks, carrots, soaked split peas and a tablespoon of curry powder, then blend it up for a nice warming soup :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    scotsaver wrote: »

Hmm... the gammon stock would be perfect with these and some gammon crumbs for a ham/ pea soup :)

ETA: ooh, wssla's suggested something similar already :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £596.06/£500 Decluttering: 1925/2020
  • Well the £1 today for milk turned into £3.99 with the addition of dishwasher tabs and lucozade ( i knew i should have gone myself!).
    But all in all its still not to bad, I'm trying to hold off on a big shop but i will have to do one soon.
    I managed to use all of the tomatoes in the fridge on pizza sauce for tea tonight and cream of tomato soup for the freezer, both were yummy.
    Does anyone know if you can freeze cooked pizza? we have a fair bit left over and were not really fond of having the same meal 2 days running.
    Another question if anyone can help. Any idea's what i could do with a couple of dried packs of nut roast mix i have lurking in the cupboard?
    Were not veggies but i bought them really cheap months ago and it's way to strong for us on the peanut front to have on it's own.
    Grocery challenge Jan 270.27/200:eek:

Total debt 04/01/2011 £2671.23:eek: