Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

September 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 47

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

September 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 August 2010 at 8:03PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.1K views

Replies

• sofababesofababe Forumite
    1.4K posts
    My first grocery spend in 10 days:T

£10.24 at Mr A on milk, pizzas, dessert, oil for my OCM and margaritas:o:D:p
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ChocClare wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I think I got it to the sticky stage in the oven, but then it just seemed to... not do anything else :(. Maybe the fact that it's a fan oven - or maybe that it's just !!!! electric.

I'd dry them out in the conservatory, but we seem to have the entire fly population of Britain in our house at the moment. The fly swatter I bought in France 3 years ago has never worked so hard *shudders*. They should still dry with a bit of clingfilm on though, I would have thought?

Hippeechiq fruit leathers are a scrummy snack! You can buy fruit winders, which are nice but very expensive. Basically, as wssla00 states, you mix fruit puree and sugar/honey/syrup, spread out very thin (about 1/8-1/4 inch) on a tray and allow to dry out. Then you cut them into strips and roll up. They are about the consistency of wine gums when you're done, but obviously rather healthier...

The only thing about cling film I would have thought would be if it gets warm condensation would start forming, keeping it wet. So long as you make air holes it shouldn't be a problem :)

I have a fan assisted and I decided today to start them off in there so they will only take overnight to dry (I'm too impatient!) they seem to be going ok at the moment!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    wssla00 wrote: »
    The only thing about cling film I would have thought would be if it gets warm condensation would start forming, keeping it wet. So long as you make air holes it shouldn't be a problem :)

I have a fan assisted and I decided today to start them off in there so they will only take overnight to dry (I'm too impatient!) they seem to be going ok at the moment!

Oh.... was going to say... mine were spread much thinner than that. I used the back of a spoon to literally just even coat it everywhere. They seem to dry quicker like that.
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Grrrr! Didn't realise that this shop was on Quidco! Gutted. Note to self- Check Quidco before buying anything!

Only just avoided nipping into Mr M as I pass it on the way home.
    Mongy

September grocery challenge £46-90/£200 NSD's 2

Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • edited 6 September 2010 at 6:00PM
    gillian62gillian62 Forumite
    372 posts
    edited 6 September 2010 at 6:00PM
    Got 64 items from Sainsbury's yesterday - total spend £20.95. Got loads of fishcakes and other meal items greatly reduced. Really watching the pennies this month. Bought some cheap bananas the other day (10p per kilo) and made 5 banana cakes, 2 of which are in the freezer.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • CupOfChaiCupOfChai Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hello there, had to pop to Mr T earlier than expected and buy more bread than I thought I would need to. I did have enough in for the rest of the week, but looked at it last night and it had started going mouldy :mad:.

So got bread, the chicken I need on Wednesday... and Maltesers :o. That is DEFINITELY it for chocolate! If any of you catch me even going NEAR that aisle for the next three months you must smack me! Possibly on the nose with a rolled up newspaper... :rotfl:
  • edited 6 September 2010 at 6:40PM
    kerrypnkerrypn Forumite
    1.2K posts
    edited 6 September 2010 at 6:40PM
    Hello

spent £8.50 today-24 pints of milk, 4 loaves of bread and 9 loo rolls from farm foods :money: The milk and bread will see us well into next week hopefully :cool:

Was meant to do the big shop today but ended up trawling around every supermarket looking for school pants in 4-5!!!
  • nat21luvnat21luv Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    does anyone know a good recipe for bread?! i tried the bread featured on...

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/recipe-breadofheaven.html?opt=p1m1

...to the T but its still gone wrong. i dont know where though! its quite 'doughy' to taste, any ideas?
    £12k in 2020 #=
    1% challenge #61 £142= 81% £10 a day = £460/£500

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • sofababe wrote: »
    My first grocery spend in 10 days:T

£10.24 at Mr A on milk, pizzas, dessert, oil for my OCM and margaritas:o:D:p

well done you :T
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • well a NSD today :j im loving it being at work, means i spend less :rotfl:Even though i only do a couple of hours during the day means its not worth me popping to the shops before hand and after as im doing housework and then picking the kids up, so let the NSD's continue :j:j
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!