Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

September 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 46

New Post Advanced Search

September 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 August 2010 at 9:03PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.1K views

Replies

• I went shopping yesterday and spent £52.01 in mozzas, which included £7 on lager for OH (well, he did cut the hedges so he deserved it) and about £15 on toiletries and cleaning products so that's not too bad.

I bought and Argos Value Breadmaker on friday and it's the schizzly-dizzle! I've never used a breadmaker before and so far I have made two perfect white loaves. I'm well impressed! I think I'll be able to get 4-5 loaves from a bag of flour so that works out loads cheaper than buying bread from the shops. Tastes nicer too and makes my kitchen smell lovely!

I also have fussy cats and I tend to order food from pets at home as they do quidco cashback.

Before I next go to the supermarket I shall go through my cupboards and make a list of what we have in so I can use some of that up as I often find myself thinking I have nothing to eat but the cupboards are all bursting! I'll start on that tonight by having quinoa in my tea instead of couscous as morrisons seems to regard couscous as an exotic ingerdient and doesn't stock it - grr!
  • edited 6 September 2010 at 12:28PM
    wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    edited 6 September 2010 at 12:28PM
    £3.50 spend in ff's today on some meat, some frozen apples and some frozen rhubarb. Going to add that to the copius amounts of plums I have been offered for some very special chutneys,jams and fruit leathers for snacks at lunchtimes!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    wssla00 wrote: »
    £3.50 spend in ff's today on some meat, some frozen apples and some frozen rhubarb. Going to add that to the copius amounts of plums I have been offered for some very special chutneys,jams and fruit leathers for snacks at lunchtimes!

wssla00, do you have a recipe for fruit leathers? I often think I should make some, but the only time I've ever tried it (in our carp fan leccy oven) it was something of a disastrous non-event.
  • lemanielemanie Forumite
    668 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello everyone, hope I'm not too late to join in. I am just monitoring what I spend this month and will post a target in October's thread if that is ok? I really have got to curb my spending and this thread helped heaps before.

Mel
    Proud to have dealt with our debt. DFW Nerd 1474
    DFD 25/08/15 _party_. Was: £23,929 01/01/14.
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ChocClare wrote: »
    wssla00, do you have a recipe for fruit leathers? I often think I should make some, but the only time I've ever tried it (in our carp fan leccy oven) it was something of a disastrous non-event.

I do two types. One which is sweetened and one which doesn't.

I usually use about 500g of the fruit (whatever ones I fancy- today I am going to do blackberry and apple and rhubarb ones) a squeeze of lemon juice, boiled until it is all juicy then strain it through a sieve and push through as much of the goo that you can. Then if I am using a sweetener, I add a squeeze of honey or golden syrup, mix it round then spread it thinly over some baking trays lined with some parchment paper. Then I let them dry out in the sun on my window seat. I didn't want to use the oven as it costs a load of cash for it (18 hours on.....:eek:) so it takes about two days to dry in a sunny room. It will go all sticky and then will go really dry. you can then pull it into pieces or roll them into strips with a pizza cutter.

:) Farm foods do packs of fruit for a quid which makes a lot of them if you haven't got any about from foraging or from your garden
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • kezloukezlou Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi all,

well i spent a whopping £5.86 on shopping, which should hopefully last us a week with careful planning.
    Ended up pressing the wrong button on the self service tills and paid with my nectar points instead of cash.So i got £11.68 worth for £1.28 as i had a coupon for yoghurt as well.So very pleased with myself.
    So thats the pack lunches sorted for this week.I also naughtily bought myself a cheese pasty fir my dinner which i've included in the above.

so going to do a meal plan for this week and see how it goes x
  • Firstly - what on earth are fruit leathers? I've never heard of the term? Sounds more like a name for a type of moth than something you'd eat :eek:

Cooeee mrssnowy & lemanie :wave:

Monitoring my spends is exactly what I did the month before I "officially" joined in lemanie - it's a good idea :) Gives you a rough idea of what budget to set yourself.
    sistercas wrote: »
    I spent £35 yesterday on absolute carp in mr T's , chocolate , a diary ( in september? :cool::o) more chocolate i think . what a plonker , it was a shop completely driven by hormones and now i have nothing to show for it ( except a diary obviously :rotfl:)
    blown half my budget too, beans on toast all week then

I'm not having the best of months either sistercas. This week in particular is going awry.....and it's only Monday :rotfl:
    adelight wrote: »
    They do a 1lb bag of kenyan ground coffee that is lovely if you have a press or coffee maker. 99p store also often have bags of douge egberts coffee in. If you don't have a press or cafetiere, get one! Coffee is delicious that way, never bitter. For me the cheapest coffee from a press tastes better than expensive instant coffee.
    Thanks for that adelight I might just pick one of those up for my cafetiere, for use at the weekends :) But I'd also like an instant one. I do buy the Kenco when it's on offer, which it is at the moment, but I don't have enough money to buy in bulk when such offers are on. Walked to Te$co today to buy the Douwe Egberts on offer (2 for 1) but they'd sold out :o, twas a darn good offer too! So I was just wondering, as I have a £idl near me, if their own (well, not their own, but you know what I mean) coffee was any good or not.

Got 2 tins Quality Street for £10 from Te$co today, but that's not part of the GC budget. Bought some more $limfast today, and also some meat to bring my total spend in Te$co to over £20 as I had a £3 off a £20 or more spend voucher. So excluding QS total spend £20.41, bringing my spend so far to £64.34.......I think my target of 10 NSD's was a tad optimistic, but it's early days.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • I'm a bit late this month but please put me down for £350 again, thanks!!
    2018 - The Year I Will Declutter!
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent €50.70 today, should be ok for a week I think, except for milk, didn't buy any to-day as there seemed to be a leaking carton somewhere and all cartons were wet, so decided to leave it until to-morrow....OH will get it when he goes for paper....and pay for it!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    wssla00 wrote: »
    I do two types. One which is sweetened and one which doesn't.

I usually use about 500g of the fruit (whatever ones I fancy- today I am going to do blackberry and apple and rhubarb ones) a squeeze of lemon juice, boiled until it is all juicy then strain it through a sieve and push through as much of the goo that you can. Then if I am using a sweetener, I add a squeeze of honey or golden syrup, mix it round then spread it thinly over some baking trays lined with some parchment paper. Then I let them dry out in the sun on my window seat. I didn't want to use the oven as it costs a load of cash for it (18 hours on.....:eek:) so it takes about two days to dry in a sunny room. It will go all sticky and then will go really dry. you can then pull it into pieces or roll them into strips with a pizza cutter.

:) Farm foods do packs of fruit for a quid which makes a lot of them if you haven't got any about from foraging or from your garden

Thanks for this. I think I got it to the sticky stage in the oven, but then it just seemed to... not do anything else :(. Maybe the fact that it's a fan oven - or maybe that it's just !!!! electric.

I'd dry them out in the conservatory, but we seem to have the entire fly population of Britain in our house at the moment. The fly swatter I bought in France 3 years ago has never worked so hard *shudders*. They should still dry with a bit of clingfilm on though, I would have thought?

Hippeechiq fruit leathers are a scrummy snack! You can buy fruit winders, which are nice but very expensive. Basically, as wssla00 states, you mix fruit puree and sugar/honey/syrup, spread out very thin (about 1/8-1/4 inch) on a tray and allow to dry out. Then you cut them into strips and roll up. They are about the consistency of wine gums when you're done, but obviously rather healthier...