Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 5:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 53
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Jan 10, 12:47 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi,

A NSD for me today on groceries, although had to buy DS1 two new pairs of school trousers - 18 from a different budget.

Everyone seems to be doing great - keep up the good work!

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
  • carrieon
    Carrieon that sounds good to me, esp if your'e buying savings stamps as well! I must try to go later in the evening to see what whoopsies there are too. Hubby got some free sarnies and milk the other day from Lidl as it was going to be out of date. Had sarnies at work and i froze the milk - brilliant!
    Originally posted by dobs

Thanks dobs. Oh i wish i lived near to a Lidl, Tesco etc.
    I think i'l have to just try and cadge a lift with a friend if they go.
    Debt at 01/01/2010 130 MBNA

Challenges 365 in 365 days total.....41.14/365
    Grocery challenge December 87.69/ 80.00 Grocery challenge Feb 74.50/160
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 50.92/100 in 2010
    • ragz
    • By ragz 12th Jan 10, 1:03 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Dobs personally I wouldn't include the preschool snack money unless you budgeted to include it IYSWIM but up to you.

Spent 20 in Co-op today, first time I've been further than corner shop for over a week.
    Didn't mean to spend that much but did get OH's work lunch stuff, crisps etc and his cider.
    Bacon as I've been missing it!

They had a good offer on spread, 500g for 48p, think it was Can't Believe it's Not Butter
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • carrieon
    They had a good offer on spread, 500g for 48p, think it was Can't Believe it's Not Butter

I got a few of those too ragz. 6 infact. They were well under half price so thought they'd be good for freezer. Our local fiveways didn't seem to have a lot of anything else though.

• Keiss 21
    Hya everyone, what a lot of posts I've had to catch up on since yesterday!!

DH did some shopping on his way home from work last night - still don't trust myself to drive in this weather - I haven't driven this year yet!!

Total is 112.97 for the month so far. I might do a Mr T order for next week. The last van which came just before Christmas, started sliding down our lane!! We still have lots of snow and ice with more snow forecast for today and tomorrow - great, not!! :rolleyes:

I plan on not spending any more money from today until Friday...here's hoping I (and DH!!) can manage it!

I did order some cross-stitiching supplies yesterday so I can make a start on Christmas pressies for later this year. All the scarves, gilets and hats I knitted for 2009 went down well and have come in very useful!!!

Right, off to have a bowl of lovely warm HM veg soup. I will have to make some more, as well as get more bread started. I have resisted putting on the heating so far and cooking/baking will keep me warm too - mind you I am pretty cold here in the conservatory sitting at the computer, it is only 10 degrees Celsius at the moment - bbrrrrrrr!!!

Take care everyone and keep warm.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
    • dobs
    • By dobs 12th Jan 10, 2:23 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    dobs
    Ragz yeh hubby said not to include fruit money too but i have as i think it will stop be overspending this wk! That's a great deal on the marg tho, do you know if it can be used in baking as i may get a couple of tubs, tho the snow's just started now

Keiss 21 i love homemade soup!Stopped making it as none of my boys will eat it and i don't like it once its been frozen and defrosted. They prefer ready made food to hm!Hope its not my cooking!
    grocery challenge jan 17 / 350.00
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - updated my total with this weeks spends.

Dinner tonight is a meat loaf type thing I've botched together with a pack of Sausagemeat out of the Freezer from Xmas, will serve it with HM chips, garlic mushrooms, baked beans and Onion rings. Not very healthy but with this cold weather we feel like putting a bit of fat on our ribs.

Hope you are all keeping warm.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• WelshWoofer
    Due to chicken disaster at the weekend I didn't have any leftovers to make the planned fajitas with for tonight so had to pop to the butchers on the way home to get some - just 2.20 - not bad I suppose. I'll update the total in a minute.
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 12th Jan 10, 3:52 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    well another NSD for me I have just finished work and its so cold I couldnt be @rsed to go to the shops. so its a store cupboard meal for us .

may pick up a few bits tomorrow :rolleyes:

everyone seems to be doing really well so far to all of you x
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 12th Jan 10, 3:56 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    Before I put my gammon in the slow cooker I bring it to the boil in a pan of cold water on the stove. I discard this water put the meat in the slow cooker, cover with boiling water and cook for about 4 hours. I use the cooking water from the slow cooker to make pease pudding with split yellow peas as I am married to a Geordie
    Originally posted by XSpender

good idea will definitely try this with my gammon
  • Long tall sally
    Today I have been to Farm Foods & spent 14 odd on weetabix, toilet rolls & choccie bars, Home Bargains where I spent about 5 (but cant find the receipt), Iceland 12.25 on milk (cos Farm Foods hadn't had a delivery) bread, pizza, cheesecake, chips & cheese, Sainsbury's 14.19 on 1/2 price rice & McCoys crisps & ICBINButter, basics curry sauce &v G/free sausages, Aldi 20 o fruit & veg (bought a butternut squash although I have no idea what to do with it!), mince pies, rolls, flowers, biscuits & lady stuff, 12 odd in Morrisons in 3 lots of Bold Gel, celery & 1/2 price Walkers crisps and finally 4 odd in the Co-Op on 1/2 price coke & hot x buns, soured cream & 6 cream eggs. So total of about 82 spent and a whole morning of my time taken up! It's very time consuming trying to pick the best bargains from all the supermarkets, isn't it?!
    Last edited by Long tall sally; 12-01-2010 at 4:10 PM.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • carrieon
    Ragz Yes you can cook with the "I cant believe" I use it all the time for cakes, biscuits everything. Although i do like my Trex for pastry.

• carrieon
    Exspender. Could you please give me the recipee for pease pudding. I love it but have no idea how to make it. Thanks.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 12th Jan 10, 4:39 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 34,423 Thanks
    XSpender
    Exspender. Could you please give me the recipee for pease pudding. I love it but have no idea how to make it. Thanks.
    Originally posted by carrieon
    Oooh heck it's not much of a recipe tbh. I put a quantity of yellow split peas in a a pan and cover generously with the gammon cooking water from the slow cooker and simmer until the water is almost absorbed by the peas. I then keep topping up the water and keep simmering it until the peas are almost mush. I tend to get a bit bored towards the end as it is not a quick process so when they have almost disintegrated I whizz them with my stick blender and season. It is still a bit soft when you do it but firms up when it has been in the fridge.
  • rosieben
    Thanks XSpender, pease pudding now in recipe list
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • poppy-glos
    Today I have been to Farm Foods & spent 14 odd on weetabix, toilet rolls & choccie bars, Home Bargains where I spent about 5 (but cant find the receipt), Iceland 12.25 on milk (cos Farm Foods hadn't had a delivery) bread, pizza, cheesecake, chips & cheese, Sainsbury's 14.19 on 1/2 price rice & McCoys crisps & ICBINButter, basics curry sauce &v G/free sausages, Aldi 20 o fruit & veg (bought a butternut squash although I have no idea what to do with it!), mince pies, rolls, flowers, biscuits & lady stuff, 12 odd in Morrisons in 3 lots of Bold Gel, celery & 1/2 price Walkers crisps and finally 4 odd in the Co-Op on 1/2 price coke & hot x buns, soured cream & 6 cream eggs. So total of about 82 spent and a whole morning of my time taken up! It's very time consuming trying to pick the best bargains from all the supermarkets, isn't it?!
    Originally posted by Long tall sally

hi long tall sally,
    several options for bns, we love it/ one is to cut in half longways, scoop out seeds, score the flesh into squares, butter each side, and roast in the oven until soft. one of the tv chefs did this recently (nigel slater), then while the squash was roasting he fried off some onions and fresh ginger (cut into matchsticks) and cinniomon powder, which went in the middle. i made it and will make it again.

then with the leftovers i scooped the flesh from the skin and purred this with stock for soup.

the other recipe i do is a nigella one that has been parred down (so much its not like the origional. i fry off an onion, and peeled and cubed sweet potatoe and peeled and cubed bns, then add a little stock and a tin of coconut milk, and some curry paste (indian or thai), this then can be served as it is with peas added for curry, or purreed and served as it is as a curry sauce or more stock to make soup. the origional recipe she added coriander, prawns and mango at the end.

if you need further details please ask and i'll look them out.

hi carrian, i have been out and bought 4 tubs of the icbinbutter from coop, at 4 x 500g for 1.92. thanks for mentioning the offer on here.

will update my sig with the 1.92 now. quite pleased as can tick the box of 'needed today or economical to buy now on offer for later', my spread stores were getting low as there haven't been any two for ones for a while on it..
    nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 12th Jan 10, 5:22 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Originally posted by carrieon
    I saw an offer like this in Mr M's I think 48p or 55p but.......

STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!

Can you freeze butter / marg???

I did not know this! :confused:

I'm off to educate myself.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 12th Jan 10, 5:22 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Chicken and broccoli bake
    Happy to oblige! I got this years ago from a magazine but have lost the original recipe so just make it up!

Ingredients
    1 head of broccoli
    chopped cooked chicken (enough to cover broccoli)
    1/2pt white sauce
    good pinch nutmeg and black pepper to season
    grated cheese (1-2oz)
    grated breadcrumbs

Method
    Wash broccoli and chop into smallish florets. Cook until just soft (al dente). I use the microwave and it takes about 3 mins, but you can boil or steam it. Grease an oven proof dish and lay broccoli in it. Sprinkle the cooked chicken on top. Make white sauce ( I used about 1oz butter and 1-2 tablespoons flour and half a pint of milk - you can use any milk but semi skimmed is btter than skimmed and you can also add a bit of cream if you have any - I did!) Season the sauce with a good pinch of nutmeg and the black pepper. Pour over the chicken and broccoli. Grate cheese and breadcrumbs on top. Place in mod oven - 180 C Gas mark 4 for about 20 minutes until top is bubbly and brown. I served this with jacket potatoes and tinned sweetcorn.

Sorry the amounts are vague - the above was plenty for two adults but you can increase it easily to serve four - just use a bigger bit of broccoli and increase sauce to about 3/4 pt.

Enjoy!

Moniker
  • carrieon
    Thanks Exspender. Its now saved with other recipees.

• brodie1
    freezing marg
    yep,
    I freeze it all the time, dont forget co op also has 12 nouvelle loo rolls for 2.50, hence I currently have 24. And loiads of marg in my freezer.
    Brodie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,830Posts Today

8,065Users online

Martin's Twitter