Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 104

New Post Advanced Search

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 December 2009 at 10:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 123.7K views

Replies

• h all well i spent £3.89 in mr m's yesterday and 30p for a paper (to collect my £9.50 hol tokens) but have to top up on butter and sausages today and another paper. have updated my sig and will do so again later
    debt £5325.44
    emergency savings £0/£1000
    baby fund ££0/£1000
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to stick to my one shop a week new years resoloution. Done it so far but we are running very short of potatoes as I forgot to add them to the list last Friday. Probably enough for one meal for 2 so will tweak the menu plan to include a pasta dish or 2 and have a lentil curry recipe to try in the slow cooker with rice n peas and naan bread.

There is the bottom of a sack of spuds in the store cupboard I will have to investigate to see if they are still edible. It is not cold in there so they may have grown arms and legs.

BIL due for tea last night but didn't show so we are forced to eat the cheescake I defrosted that was left over from Christmas when he didn't show then either:rolleyes: Enough left over for tonight too:drool:

Skintbint - Before I put my gammon in the slow cooker I bring it to the boil in a pan of cold water on the stove. I discard this water put the meat in the slow cooker, cover with boiling water and cook for about 4 hours. I use the cooking water from the slow cooker to make pease pudding with split yellow peas as I am married to a Geordie;)
    PAYDBX 2020 £6,923.64/£10,000 69%
    Target CC - £999/£1030 SIF by Dec 2020
    Target Loan - £422.94/£493.43 by Nov 2020
    Big Emergency Fund Part 1 by 31.12.20 - 37.5%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 224 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • dobsdobs Forumite
    517 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Spent £39.17 on main shop this wk which is good for us! Had to give school a fiver for this terms fruit snack my son has. Don't know whether to include that in grocery challenge? I did include my sons birthday cake in last wks so i suppose i should.
    Trying to have a baking day today as run out of snacks but don't want to spend anything but my toddler is not too impressed and have already burnt the sponge cake lol!
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • nellis10nellis10 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Spent £110.33 in Tesco yesterday, hopeing it will suit for 2 weeks!
    Nat
    Goals:
    Baby Step 1 = £1000 EF :heart2:
    Baby Step 2= Debt Free by Apr 2017 :heart2:
    Baby Step 3 = Full EF :heart2:
    Mortgage Free by 2023!!
  • Rachel021967Rachel021967 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Went to Tesco Express to get some fresh fruit and cereal and bought: Chocolate Wheetos, reduced ready meal for my lunch, orange, grapes, carrots and 2 bags of Maltesers. Came to £10.16
    Then went to butchers and bought 6 free range chicken thighs for £3.99.
    Then finished off at the bakers with some gingerbreadmen and cake - £3.56.
    Due a large shop tonight so hopefully will not have to shop again this week. Adzuki bean stew tonight with chicken thighs for the meat eaters.
  • dobsdobs Forumite
    517 posts
    ✭✭
    Have updated signature and included ds1s school fruit money. That means i have £7.74 to last until friday as i'm trying not to spend more than £50 a wk and carry any leftover to the next.
    Going to need cheese grapes butter so may have to try to meal plan a bit carefully, worst thing is trying to find something to put in the lunchboxes (but at least if we do get heavy snow later here as forecast school will be shut again so won't have to worry!).
  • Grief! I couldn't get on here yesterday, now i've had to catch up on 5 pages. Well done everyone. Your all doing so well.
    I've spent another £17.47 at the local fiveways. So have updated my total. So I have only £27 .65 to last me till the end of the month. I'm not at all sure i am going to achieve this. This is my first time and i estimated the amount. I only allowed myself £80 for the month due to having a good deal of food in. Now that has been running short.
    However look on the bright side after this month I have allowed myself £160 per month. I don't think it helps that we are so far away from a big supermarket and i no longer have a car.
    Sorry about the winge. Its just i so want to do this. Oh forgot to add. Out of my GC i am buying saving stamps to save for christmas. So i suppose thats not too bad.
    Debt at 01/01/2010 £130 MBNA :T

Challenges £365 in 365 days total.....£41.14/£365
    Grocery challenge December £87.69/ £80.00 Grocery challenge Feb £74.50/£160
    Crazy Clothes Challenge £50.92/£100 in 2010
  • russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    In an effort to keep my spending down I'm only going looking for whoopsies on 3 nights and staying out the shops for the other 4.Anyway I must defrost the freezer soon which is usually just when the best bargains turn up.Gosh this thread is really growing fast! I have 2 or 3 pages to catch up on each day.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • dobsdobs Forumite
    517 posts
    ✭✭
    Carrieon that sounds good to me, esp if your'e buying savings stamps as well! I must try to go later in the evening to see what whoopsies there are too. Hubby got some free sarnies and milk the other day from Lidl as it was going to be out of date. Had sarnies at work and i froze the milk - brilliant!
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

A NSD for me today on groceries, although had to buy DS1 two new pairs of school trousers - £18 from a different budget.

Everyone seems to be doing great - keep up the good work!

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24