Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 105

New Post Advanced Search

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 December 2009 at 10:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 123.7K views

Replies

• dobs wrote: »
    Carrieon that sounds good to me, esp if your'e buying savings stamps as well! I must try to go later in the evening to see what whoopsies there are too. Hubby got some free sarnies and milk the other day from Lidl as it was going to be out of date. Had sarnies at work and i froze the milk - brilliant!

Thanks dobs. Oh i wish i lived near to a Lidl, Tesco etc. :mad:
    I think i'l have to just try and cadge a lift with a friend if they go.
    Debt at 01/01/2010 £130 MBNA :T

Challenges £365 in 365 days total.....£41.14/£365
    Grocery challenge December £87.69/ £80.00 Grocery challenge Feb £74.50/£160
    Crazy Clothes Challenge £50.92/£100 in 2010
  • ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Dobs personally I wouldn't include the preschool snack money unless you budgeted to include it IYSWIM but up to you.

Spent £20 in Co-op today, first time I've been further than corner shop for over a week.
    Didn't mean to spend that much but did get OH's work lunch stuff, crisps etc and his cider.
    Bacon as I've been missing it!

They had a good offer on spread, 500g for 48p, think it was Can't Believe it's Not Butter
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • They had a good offer on spread, 500g for 48p, think it was Can't Believe it's Not Butter

I got a few of those too ragz. 6 infact. They were well under half price so thought they'd be good for freezer. Our local fiveways didn't seem to have a lot of anything else though.
    Debt at 01/01/2010 £130 MBNA :T

Challenges £365 in 365 days total.....£41.14/£365
    Grocery challenge December £87.69/ £80.00 Grocery challenge Feb £74.50/£160
    Crazy Clothes Challenge £50.92/£100 in 2010
  • Keiss_21Keiss_21 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Hya everyone, what a lot of posts I've had to catch up on since yesterday!!

DH did some shopping on his way home from work last night - still don't trust myself to drive in this weather - I haven't driven this year yet!!

Total is £112.97 for the month so far. I might do a Mr T order for next week. The last van which came just before Christmas, started sliding down our lane!! We still have lots of snow and ice with more snow forecast for today and tomorrow - great, not!! :rolleyes:

I plan on not spending any more money from today until Friday...here's hoping I (and DH!!) can manage it!

I did order some cross-stitiching supplies yesterday so I can make a start on Christmas pressies for later this year. All the scarves, gilets and hats I knitted for 2009 went down well and have come in very useful!!!

Right, off to have a bowl of lovely warm HM veg soup. I will have to make some more, as well as get more bread started. I have resisted putting on the heating so far and cooking/baking will keep me warm too - mind you I am pretty cold here in the conservatory sitting at the computer, it is only 10 degrees Celsius at the moment - bbrrrrrrr!!!

Take care everyone and keep warm.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb

• dobsdobs Forumite
    517 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ragz yeh hubby said not to include fruit money too but i have as i think it will stop be overspending this wk! That's a great deal on the marg tho, do you know if it can be used in baking as i may get a couple of tubs, tho the snow's just started now :(

Keiss 21 i love homemade soup!Stopped making it as none of my boys will eat it and i don't like it once its been frozen and defrosted. They prefer ready made food to hm!Hope its not my cooking!
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • Hi everyone - updated my total with this weeks spends.

Dinner tonight is a meat loaf type thing I've botched together with a pack of Sausagemeat out of the Freezer from Xmas, will serve it with HM chips, garlic mushrooms, baked beans and Onion rings.;) Not very healthy but with this cold weather we feel like putting a bit of fat on our ribs.:rotfl:

Hope you are all keeping warm.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Due to chicken disaster at the weekend I didn't have any leftovers to make the planned fajitas with for tonight so had to pop to the butchers on the way home to get some - just £2.20 - not bad I suppose. I'll update the total in a minute.
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    well another NSD for me :j I have just finished work and its so cold I couldnt be @rsed to go to the shops. so its a store cupboard meal for us .

may pick up a few bits tomorrow :rolleyes:

everyone seems to be doing really well so far :T to all of you x
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    XSpender wrote: »
    Before I put my gammon in the slow cooker I bring it to the boil in a pan of cold water on the stove. I discard this water put the meat in the slow cooker, cover with boiling water and cook for about 4 hours. I use the cooking water from the slow cooker to make pease pudding with split yellow peas as I am married to a Geordie;)

good idea will definitely try this with my gammon
  • edited 12 January 2010 at 6:10PM
    Long_tall_sallyLong_tall_sally Forumite
    1.1K posts
    edited 12 January 2010 at 6:10PM
    Today I have been to Farm Foods & spent £14 odd on weetabix, toilet rolls & choccie bars, Home Bargains where I spent about £5 (but cant find the receipt), Iceland £12.25 on milk (cos Farm Foods hadn't had a delivery) bread, pizza, cheesecake, chips & cheese, Sainsbury's £14.19 on 1/2 price rice & McCoys crisps & ICBINButter, basics curry sauce &v G/free sausages, Aldi £20 o fruit & veg (bought a butternut squash although I have no idea what to do with it!), mince pies, rolls, flowers, biscuits & lady stuff, £12 odd in Morrisons in 3 lots of Bold Gel, celery & 1/2 price Walkers crisps and finally £4 odd in the Co-Op on 1/2 price coke & hot x buns, soured cream & 6 cream eggs. So total of about £82 spent and a whole morning of my time taken up! It's very time consuming trying to pick the best bargains from all the supermarkets, isn't it?!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan