Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lka200
    • By lka200 10th Dec 08, 4:47 PM
    • 194Posts
    • 619Thanks
    lka200
    frozen HM roast potatoes
    • 10th Dec 08, 4:47 PM
    frozen HM roast potatoes 10th Dec 08 at 4:47 PM
    Hi all, i read on the Daily thread that some folks make HM roast potatoes and then freeze them.
    I would like to do this as i buy the ready prepared frozen ones but much prefer my own.
    How do you do it?..do you par boil and then cook a little? just par boil? or cook completely then freeze.
    Do they need to be coated in oil before going into the freezer?
    thanks lucy
    #440 sealed pot challenge
Page 2
    • crawley_girl
    • By crawley_girl 1st Jan 09, 8:13 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    crawley_girl
    What a fab thread... I had never ever thought about doing this... makes so much sense...

Thanks guys
    Ever wonder about those people who spend 2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • Sarahlou
    Re-Heating frozen roast spuds, how?
    Hi

Somebody mentioned in a thread about freezing roast potates...can anyone tell me the best way to reheat them please?

Thanks!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 7th Jan 09, 10:51 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi sarahlou,

Pre-heat the oven to high. I usually set it to 250 degrees. Put the frozen roast potatoes on a tray and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes until they are piping hot.

I'll add your post to the original thread to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • weemissy
    Hi
    What kind of oil do you use for your roast pots.? - I only have olive oil (burn in high heat?) or sunflower oil. Also can I do baked pots and freeze - if so how?
    Thanks
    there's me, OH, DS 10, DD 7,
    and our deranged border collie - sadly put to sleep Aug 23rd 09 now have our GSD x collie oct 10
  • weemissy
    oh no - nobody replied to my oil question and my tatties are all green and sprouting now
    and our deranged border collie - sadly put to sleep Aug 23rd 09 now have our GSD x collie oct 10
    • Patchwork Quilt
    • By Patchwork Quilt 15th Jan 09, 6:02 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 11,056 Thanks
    Patchwork Quilt
    I use olive oil for roasties, unless I'm feeling really naughty and there is some fat left from roasting a chicken or if I put them round the bird. This is far better for taste/crispiness.

I have found that reheated jacket potatoes taste rather odd unless you do something to them. The best thing to do with a spare one is to take the inside out, mash it with some cheese and mayonnaise and rebake for 30 mins. I'm not sure I'd freeze them.
  • irishwexford
    I have just used the last of the roast pototoes I froze for Christmas. It is so easy. I cook them in vegetable oil but not too hot as it smells for ages but I do defrost them up on a higher heat. I will make a batch of them and yorkshires every now and then to freeze. I used to throw leftover yorkshires out for birds but now I freeze them for later.
  • weemissy
    Thanks for your replies - going to try the olive oil and the chicken fat. Also going to try to make yorkshires - never done this before but people keep saying its easy
    • Raksha
    • By Raksha 15th Jan 09, 6:38 PM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    Raksha
    My fail safe receipe for yorkshire puddings is:

4oz plain flour
    2 whole eggs
    Milk to mix to a thin batter (about half a pint/ 250 ml)

Put flour in a bowl, add the eggs and about half the milk. Mix this together vigorously until it's evenly mixed, then add a little more milk and beat, repeat adding the milk and beating until it's a about the same consistency as glass paint (don't worry if it's a little lumpy - adds to the character). Set the batter aside while you put a little bit of fat or oil in a tin. I use suet in a muffin tin, about a teaspoon per hole is about right. Put this in a very hot oven (250 degrees or gas mark 7-8 if you've got nothing else in there) for 5 mins. When it's really hot and the fat is smoking, take it out of the oven and pour the batter in - you don't need much in each hole, I used a soup ladle full - 1 ladle in each hole. Do this as quickly as you can and put it back in the over at about 220 degrees (gas mark 6?) for about 20 mins. Honestly, these have never let me down - yorkies about 2" high!
  • weemissy
    Thanks Raksha - Going to try this, do you think it will work with wheat free flour?
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 09, 1:11 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Again, another bumpy for those who haven't seen it. Going to try a test run before christmas. I am also renowned for my roast potatoes (me and my Mum argue over whose are better, mine or marks and sparks. Only the only time she had them recently was on mothers day when she got far too drunk and i had to delay dinner so ruined the roasties!)

So anyway, i need to check it doens't impair the flavour or taste!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 10th Jan 10, 9:48 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    Amanda65
    Frozen roast potatoes - will these work ????
    Hi all

Having only half read a thread on here , I parboiled some potatoes the other day (50p per bag for Maris Pipers in Tesco ) and intended to use them for roasties today but see that others have part roasted them as well before freezing.

If I take them out and cook from frozen just parboiled, will they still be ok do you think :confused:
  • JayJay14
    I always just parboil my spuds for roasties and freeze them just like that (though I toss them in some oil before freezing.) They always work fine, in fact I tend to use that method out of choice.

Mine are always fine, so don't worry.
    • The Mighty Gusset
    • By The Mighty Gusset 10th Jan 10, 9:57 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    The Mighty Gusset
    Are you going to defrost them before roasting ?
    Defrost (naturally, not in the microwave), shake up in a colander to rough up the outside, coat in oil or melted goose fat and leave for a couple of hours.
    Put in a hot oven for about 50-60 minutes turning at least once.
    That should work Ok.
    I wouldn't part-roast - but that's because I believe that frozen roast potatoes are an abomination.
    Gus.
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 10th Jan 10, 3:06 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    Amanda65
    I cooked from frozen and the general consensus of opinion was that they were 'OK' but a bit mushier than usual and not as crispy.

Think I'll have to kee experimenting
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 10th Jan 10, 3:23 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 4,162 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    I fully cook them, place them in tin foil trays (ala - take aways) and freeze, just chuck in oven from frozen for 40 mins - never noticed a taste difference.
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - 176.66
  • Mrs_Bea
    Prepared in advance frozen ROAST POTS
    Morning All
    I know that I have read on here about making roast pots in advance, freezing and then reheating from frozen. The problem is I can't for the life of me find the post again!
    If some kind soul could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!
    I would love to be able to do this but can't quite believe that they taste as good as making from scratch and eating straight away ... am very happy to be proved wrong though so thought I would give it a try!!
    Thanks x
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 2nd Dec 10, 11:10 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Mrs_Bea,

I do this all the time and it really does work. I've added your post to the main thread on freezing roast potatoes so that you'll be able to find it more easily next time.

Pink
  • Mrs_Bea
    Thanks so much - I don't know why I couldn't find this, I spent ages looking!
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 7th Dec 10, 8:18 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Roast potatoes - do they taste as good if frozen and reheated?
    Thinking about preroasting potatoes and freezing them ready for christmas. I have never frozen home made roasties before so can anyone tell me if the texture suffers at all? We like them really crispy and crunchy and would be disappointed if they went all chewy or soggy...any advice appreciated
    Let's get ready to bumble!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

350Posts Today

4,616Users online

Martin's Twitter