Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 43
  • Herbaholic
    Afternoon all, just caught up with posts and updated signature I've spent over a third of my budget already and still have 22 days to go before the next pay day Still the freezer is full and we have plenty of stuff in the cupboards, but do need to get frozen peas, stork, eggs, flour and oven chips and that should be that for this week. DH is having this Friday off, so we're off out with a picnic (all homemade stuff) that is if I feel okay, started with a cold this morning, woke up with a sore throat which is still there and have a snotty nose. Drinking my herbal cold tea whilst I catch up on posts, so feel a little better.

I survived the weekend with the SS (thanks for your messages Denise, really cheered me up!) Sorry to hear about your DH losing his job, fingers and toes crossed for you that he'll find something soon and hopefully somewhere he'll be happier going to everyday!

DH requested homemade mince & onion pie with mash and the rest of the cabbage from the one we picked from the garden on Sunday. It's not on my meal plan for this week, but I guess I can be flexible qnd it will be nice cheap comfort food. I better get the baking done before this cold gets any worse, made blackberry & cinnamon muffins on Sunday the pips make them a bit crunchy but they taste nice, will make the mix again but add some sultanas or chopped apple to the mix. Need to make bread and I'm craving chicken noodle soup, always do when I get a cold, don't think I have any in though and no noodles in cupboard to make my own drat!

Spent yesterday listing unwanted stuff (DVD's, games, books etc) we had on Amazon, and by the end of the day £78 worth of it had sold!!!! I was astounded, didn't expect any of it to sell, having a sort out this afternoon to see if I can find anything else, all I make is going towards paying the CC off. I told DH I'd list his Dr Who collection last night, his face was a picture. Just emailed him to tell him I started listed them this morning and listed one of the rare ones and got £5 for it, I haven't of course, but its good to pull his leg every once in a while, get my own back for the last time he pulled one on me lol! Hugs to everyone and welcome to all the new people to the grocery challenge.

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 5th Aug 08, 11:18 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Well I was going for a NSD but I fanced some wraps so popped to MrM's and found the Mission Deli wraps are half price at 84p although I do know they are 80p at MrA but not sure if they are on offer. I wasn't going to get anything eles but I got
    2 x chicken 50p each
    2 x sauasges 50p each
    2 x 4 pk of burgers 50p each
    2 x little gems lettuces 39 p each should have been 50p
    and some chocolate for DD2
    total spend £6.72

I would like to make sausage rolls with the pork sasuages as I have some puff pastery that needs using up what else do I put in with the meat to make them taste better.

Better go and put washing out and hope it doesn't rain.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
    • enlli
    • By enlli 5th Aug 08, 11:39 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    enlli
    Hello
    Spent a further £4.35 yesterday on onions, spring onions, tomatoes, diet pepsi and bread. I can't believe a loaf of bread now costs £1.20!

I'm cooking quorn sausage casserole for tonight with potatoes and runner beans from the garden.
    Enlli :rolleyes2
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 5th Aug 08, 11:50 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Think i may go and do an inventory of my freezer, see what delights are lurking in there! Just had a whoopsied pizza for lunch, think that was the last of my junk food
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • el-o-l-a-lola
    May I join this challenge late please? I'm new to the board though have been lurking for a good few months

There's 2 of us, plus 2 cats and a dog and i've been trying to stick to a budget of £35 per week. Have spent up this week already so have £70 for food for the rest of my month (september will start on 24th August for me).

Hopefully reading how well everyone else is doing will spur me on! Already found the recipes at the start of this thread incredibly useful - made some Millie's Cookies last night but they were so good they all got eaten within an hour!
    • wmf
    • By wmf 5th Aug 08, 12:06 PM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 21,637 Thanks
    wmf
    Hello el and welcome to the challenge!
    I find everyone else's efforts on here soooo inspiring.
    Been to Mr T this morning urged on by the thought of 20p lemon curd and treacle (separately - not a new combo!) so I'm pleased with that. I much prefer homemade lemon curd but DH likes Gales and at 20p I am happy to like it too!
    Bought quite a few tins to have in the cupboard as we had hardly any. As someone pointed out, they have Batchelors tinned condensed soup - the cream of chicken - for about 25p, much less than the other flavours. Got cheap tinned pilchard for the dogs and other bits and pieces including the cheapie toilet roll. I haven't been tempted by the offer in Somerfields because DH has stopped moaning about the cheap stuff now so I daren't buy him a 'treat'
    w
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 5th Aug 08, 12:11 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Dont know if it was just my store, but Mr T was selling hartleys jelly powders/sachets for 3p each
    My freezer inventory is huge! I have 26 chicken breasts!!! 1.5kgs mince, may not need to buy meat this month. If i dont come in under budget this month there is something wrong with me
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • wmf
    • By wmf 5th Aug 08, 12:19 PM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 21,637 Thanks
    wmf
    Hi

I'mjust generally an all shiny newbie but I thought I'd jump right in the deep end. (If I'm doing things wrong let me know!)

Right I set my Shopping Budget at £200 Per month.

Can anyone tell me if this includes things bought out like sandwiches etc...
    Originally posted by Arabellamilla

Just noticed you here Arabella as I was reading back through the thread.
    I think everyone sets their own spends and inclusions - some don't include cleaning products for example. I include everything except alcohol hehehe and dog food.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    w
  • naturally
    Whoops I haven't updated myself on here, I have spent £23.59 and have £36.41 left. Am pretty pleased with myself as I have done the shopping for this week, so only 2 weeks of food left to buy, which means I'm currently under budget. It has been a really enlightening month, and I might soon be trying to do a £10 a week month, which is an awful lot different from the £25 a week I thought I needed!!
    • SueB
    • By SueB 5th Aug 08, 12:39 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    SueB
    I'm so cross!
    I've just had my Asda ordered delivered and instead of it being £66.60 it's £75 odd. Delivery man in a rush as usual, blocked the road and cars now piling up behind. I've signed the little machine only to glance as he was taking it away it said £80.00 (I'm fairly certain of this). Just got off the phone to Asda and they agree it should be £66 but they can't tell me how much I actually paid because the delivery driver hasn't updated his machine. They said they'll call me tomorrow.

If they don't I'll certainly be calling them.

Moral of the story... Check everything!!
    Originally posted by SueB
    Well guess what? They didn't call me back!
    After a call to them it seems they overcharged me by just over £10... but did they?

Pork shoulder joint £4.99 - charged £10.99
    Large Chicken £2.40 - charged £7.23

It seems the price on the site is wrong. They have the price per kilo price as the price for the item.
    Oh well. I'm a happy bunny. I've got a pork joint that I'll cut in 3 and a very big chicken in the slow cooker as I type to last a couple of meals

Might be worth a look if you don't mind phoning and complaining to get a refund.
  • rrutter
    Hi

Have been lurking around for a while. although I have not declared on this link before I used a lot of the knowledge on it to my advantage when I first bought my house. My average spend on all food, cleaning products, dog food and food for friends was £50 a week (2 adults) we've managed to increase that so much to over £100 a week, and as I have just bought a newer car (old one spontaneously combusted on me - literally) money is tight. I would like to try £300 for the month total - 2 x adult food, dog food, cleaning products and so on. I'm also going to shift the garden shed and sort out a fruit and veg patch - who knows if the dog will cope with them I might get a few chickens! Credit crunch is nipping my heels and I have to stop adding to the obscence profits of Messers T, S and M (Being the closest to me that I use).
    Thanks everyone - PS month is 01 aug to 31 Aug
  • smetf
    Netto bargains
    Hi all

Done Netto and updated sig!

6 pints of milk still on £1.70 (4 Pints £1.15 I think) both full fat and semi

500g Cheddar £1.49

Nouvelle recycled toilet paper 18 rolls £3.99

Extra virgin olive oil Phillipo Berrio (sp.) 1 litre £3.99

According to flyer with free paper milk will be £1.79 for 6 pints this weekend (9th and 10th) but as I say coming through at £1.70 at the mo

Hope these are useful for someone!!

Still working my way through posts

Smetf

• MissPin
    I was in exaclty this situation last month MissPin - £78 down on the 4th of July. But with lots of help from this board - and sheer bloodymindedness! - I came in £3.01 below budget. My fridge/freezer/cupboards were bare at the end of it but it can be done! So keep your spirits up - you can do it.
    Originally posted by mouche

Thanks mouche!! That's cheered me right up!! I didn't think it would be possible but I am going to try my hardest!!

That's what I really like about this board! All the support and ideas from everyone!! Hope everyones having a good day - depsite the shocking weather!!
    GC July £110/£97.21 already spent:rolleyes:

GC August £100/£87.98 already spent
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 5th Aug 08, 1:00 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Me again! Just posted this on Weezl's crimbo thread but thought I'd paste it here too.
    Hope you enjoy it....

OK...I'll throw in my recipe for another varient on a theme This comes from an elderly but much-loved edition of "The Dairy Book of Home Cookery".

CURRY SAUCE Freezes Well.
    For poring over hard-boiled eggs or combining with pieces of cooked fish, chicken meat or vegetables.

50g/2oz butter
    2 tsp olive or corn oil
    2 large finely chopped onions
    1 finely chopped garlic glove [optional]
    2 level tbs curry powder
    1 level tbs flour
    2 cloves (I've NEVER put these in!)
    1 level tbs tomato puree
    1/4 level tsp each of ground ginger & cinnamon
    2 level tbs sweet pickle or chutney
    1 tbs lemon juice
    3 level tsp granulated sugar(don't put this in either!)
    425ml/ 3/4pt stock or water
    1/2 t 1 level tsp salt (nor this!!!)

1 Put butter & oil into pan. Heat til both are sizzling.
    2 Add onions & garlic[if used]. Fry gently til pale gold.
    3 Stir in curry pwder & flour. Add cloves, puree, ginger & cinnamon, sweet pickle or chutney, lemon juice & sugar.
    4 Gradually blend in stock or water. Slowy bring to the boil, stirring.
    5 Lower heat. Season with salt & cover pan.
    6 Simmer slowly 3/4 to 1 hour.
    7 Sauce may be strained & re-heated before using. Serves 4

HTH.
    Last edited by BigMummaF; 05-08-2008 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Couldn't get a link to work....
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• 4Moneysaver
    I find it amazing how little I am spending simply because I am aware of my shopping now. It also feels like I've gained some control over this part of my life too which in my rather chaotic world is really good. I'm hoping that the effect ripples out into the rest of my activities!!!!Bought a pack of 3 lightbulbs for £1 from my local (Islington) market as the one in the spare room blew last night. I shan't need to buy anything else today as all my meals have been planned using what I have already. I feel soooo virtuous.
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 5th Aug 08, 2:05 PM
    • 4,639 Posts
    • 35,503 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning all

staying in today to get some baking done,, as I have no curry haha,, have to throw out 5lbs of carrots as they are so tough its awful,, so will get some cheese scones and iced buns baked today,,, maybe some twinks hobnobs

see you soon

KAAT
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY

sO MUCH FOR MY BAKING DAY,,, i have only just woke up again,, I went up to get a shower four hours ago and have just woke up , so I will not be baking today,, so far

KaAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 5th Aug 08, 2:39 PM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 25,421 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    ......is there a particular brand/type of scale that you would recommend?
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    I confess I lurve my digital ones BigMumma. It means I can be precise with portions and switch from grams to oz as and when necessary. I can also return to zero to add each new ingredient. True it is a little pricy on batteries and it is sooo annoying when they run out, but I like the precision.
    Just done a bulk mail order of herbs and spices. Bumps up Aug budget a bit but pays off in the end as they work out so much cheaper, and I do use quite a lot cooking from scratch.
    LOL wmf for your reasons for not going for 'treat' loos roll. We were brought up on the izal tracing paper stuff and never knew any different but I really wouldn't want to go back to that now. One's nether regions have gone sissy
    Last edited by Brighton belle; 05-08-2008 at 5:19 PM.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • annelouise
    Easy tea tonight - HM Pork and Pepper Meatballs,Spaghetti with pesto.

Planned a NSD but OH has told me he fancies a glass or two of wine tonight.....and some diet cokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have 2-3 other shopping items that could've waited till tomorrow but hey ho still well organised and under budget.

DD8 has gone to France for 3 weeks with friend's so we are a family of 4 at the mo and it is so hot everyone is drinking loads and not eating much....

Have a rubber chicken for roast,paella,curry and soup later in the week..

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 5th Aug 08, 3:09 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Just on to update sig, used some of my BP (bargain pot) budget- a whole extra £20 I plan to allow every month for any special not to be missed deals- got the salmon from Tesco as it looks good. Also spent a little more of this weeks budget getting milk (Cravendale), and yog to have in for when we come home.
    So was not a NSD to tbh just needed to get out of the house for a bit, still no packing done though
    Chips, bacon and eggs for an easy tea tonight.
  • princess leia
    Been away for a few days so not been shopping, but spent on eating out etc which cost a small fortune!
    Anyway, got Mr T's delivering tonight so will update sig then and then do my meal planner - gonna try and do the whole month which will be fun!! (got a few mystery shop meals out tho so thats a few days I don't have to plan for)
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,113Posts Today

7,449Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin