August 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 88

New Post Advanced Search

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 213.5K views

Replies

• busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 posts
    What are Duchesse potatoes please and I need some new ideas to cook mince. Thanks
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • nicki_2nicki_2 Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD for me again :j I suddenly have lots of space in my cupboards though - must resist the urge to fill it with stuff! We did go blackberry picking today, don't know how much we have in weight until I've sorted them all (DD aged 7 helped pick so some are not edible :rolleyes: ) but I think we might have saved quite a bit since fresh ones from Mr T are £9.93/kg:eek: :D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • nickynoo08nickynoo08 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,
    popped to mr t's for my first shop of the month yesterday, spent £24.68. Managed to get quite a lot for that too. Its amazing what you can achieve when you put your mind to it. I wrote my list and stuck to it (i usually write a list then leave it at home!) so very pleased - so far. Will update sig
    £5093.07/£4027.9
    Pay my debt by Xmas 2020
    21.1% paid!
  • 5th August and I havnt spent a penny yet, must admit though the freezer was pretty stocked, the veg garden is doing well and we are laid back about meals in the summer holidays. Also we are away Fri - Mon. So feeling good this month.
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Busy_mum wrote: »
    What are Duchesse potatoes please and I need some new ideas to cook mince. Thanks

I thought this would help its a recipe for duchesse pots
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    Hiya :hello:

Had my first GC spend for august. My MrT delivery came to £64.02. Managed to get some more salmon which is on offer. Also got 15 Farm Pride free range eggs for £2 Bargain :DAnd MrT still hasnt taken the money out of my account for last weeks shop :)

Current offers at MrT

15 Farm Pride free range eggs £2

Hovis best of both £1 ends 19th Aug

hovis white bread mix 29p/ hovis granary bread mix 34p

mcdougalls puff pastry mix 7p

8 alaskan salmon fillets half price £5 ends 12th Aug

lakeland chicken breast fillets 650g half price £3.29 ends 12th aug

Gales Lemon Curd 20p

BigMummaF I got some digital scales from MrT for about £10 a few years ago, they are accurate to the nearest gram and you can also switch between g and oz and reset it to zero to add and weigh IYSWIM they've not needed a new battery yet either. I only use them when baking and use these mechanical ones for weighing out pasta/rice/etc. HTH

BusyMum There are some mince ideas on the recipe index: Chilli, Mince & onion pie, Minced Beef Curry, Moussaka, Meatballs ;)

Take care everyone :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    goodnight-7.gif
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Evening all

Ohh duchess potatoes.... if you pipe them into little nests instead of "walnut whips" you can put tomato concass (skinned, de-seeded chopped fresh tomatoes) in the little hole or even nicer a tsp of cream and a bit of grated cheese -sooooo yummmy when re-heated... or try a bit of cream cheese with herbs etc in :p

Barneysmom -hope you didn't hurt yourself to much..

Well for dinner i ended up doing pasta -with the fast becoming fave sauce... the courgettes, pattypan from the garden, onions, frozen peas, peppers, mushrooms, cream cheese and wholegrain mustard -then hubby has chorizo/salami in his - i had some more whoopsed smoked salmon :T -it is such a cheap dish to make and sooooo tasty -not to mention healthy ;)

I have never been much bothered with courgettes/aubergines but the home grown ones are sooooo different -really firm n meaty and they don't go slimey when cooked... ooh and i now have 7 more baby aubergines on my plant :j so i will be planting even more of those next year ;) ... i fetched 1lb of various tomatoes in today -not counting the ones that "fell" into my mouth :p ... there are quite a few more that will be ready soon... think im going to have to start roasting some off with olive oil, rock salt and cracked black pepper -and depositing into bags and freezing to use in pasta dishes in winter:D

Right i had better get off -have a great night everyone...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • philsmumphilsmum Forumite
    149 posts
    Hi Sleepylady,

I think they sell GU&Go in Mr. Ts. Take care of yourself. :smileyhea
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • ChellChell Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have digital kitchen scales. I actually bought them for accurately weighing the parcels that I send out from my online shop but use them for baking now too.

They were from Argos and like others say they have g/oz. You opo your baking bowl in the scales then reset them to zero to add the next ingrediant. I needed a new battery last week, it was £2.99 for a pack of two but they just need one.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!