August 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 213.5K views

Replies

• meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had my first August spend this morning, €99.06 in Lidl...forgot cat food so will either have to go back at weekend or pay exhorbitant local shop price......

Having ham and cabbage(hg) for dinner, should be bits for sandwiches left over, so that is OH's breakfast taken care of for to-morrow.

Good luck all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • susan946susan946 Forumite
    474 posts
    Triggles wrote: »
    I've been in hospital for 9 days,

Hope you're feeling better Triggles

What a depressing day!! My poor daughter and her family have gone camping in Cornwall this week. Hope thay haven't been washed away!

This morning I made leek and potato soup for lunch and a chicken casserole for supper. There should be enough casserole for another evening so I shall freeze the leftovers.

Went to Mr T WITH A LIST!!! This is almost unknown for me as I don't do lists, but I stuck to it and then bought a couple of whoopsies - trout fillets and pork chops which I'll freeze - so that is another 3 evenings covered.
    I spent £10.24 and got a couple of spits - 100 points on Essentials magazine (which is only £2.50) and 40 points on Danone fat free Activia.

Off to watch the rain and hope for sunshine tomorrow!
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone - hoping you're all keeping noce and warm on the horrible miserable cold day!
    I've spent £35 in Home Bargains - as you can imagine I got a fair bit of stuff!
    Though I did make a couple of mistakes, I misread the price of the Cordosyl, thought it was £1.50 but it was £2.99!
    And the salmon paste I get for the dog's toast in the mornings was 37p. I only pay 25p in Asda for the smartprice one :rolleyes:

I got the washing soda though I think it was 54p, never used it before so that will be an nice adventure, and I couldn't resist the M&M's for 10p
    Found a big pack of (Sainsburys) A4 envelopes for 10p,
    Ritz crackers 49p too so not a bad days.
    Got the bird seed, fat balls and doggy biscuits.

Got home and to save 2 trips out to the car, I carried all the bags in one go. As I walked through the conservatory (we only use the back door, the front is permanently locked) my feet went flying form under me, and I landed on my back!
    OMG the pain! Wet floor, worn down tread on shoes!
    I think I might have to submit and buy new shoes on Saturday.
  • jediteacherjediteacher Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Just got back from Morrisons where they're doing the 50p items again. Sadly didn't have the diced chicken which I was really after as that's the main meat that we eat. However, I did get some bargains (just to let people know that you're only allowed 2 of each item in the 50p offer).

Spent £13.47

They also have Ribena for half price at £1.28 and Hellmans mayonnaise jar at half price at £0.87.

Should last us a few days.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jediteacher, have you noticed the Hellman's has a longer 'use by when opened date' ?
  • savingpenniessavingpennies Forumite
    688 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Hi I've not joined in this month as I am on my hols and thought I would pop in to see how everyone is doing. We've not eaten out at all in the evenings whilst we've been away, as I brought my Good Food mag with me and I've been trying a few new recipes. If we've eaten out for lunch I've restricted everyone to sandwiches and soup - though the price of some sarnies is shocking really for what you get.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2020 in 2020: £21
    2020 £2 savers:
    £8
  • dazzle21dazzle21 Forumite
    2K posts
    Hello, I know its late but i'd like to join the challenge! My budget from 1st Aug to 1st Sep is going to be £225 to include 2adults, 5wk old baby, large dog and a hamster! Does this sound realistic? So far i have spent £38 (1st August i shopped in Mr T's!) and have lots of frozen food and a cupboard full of rice/pasta etc. Was brave and made my first chicken pie from scratch (including pastry! - i;m impressed with myself!) was a nice break while baby slept and tasted yummy, enough left for lunch tomorrow too! x
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Triggles wrote: »
    Wow - it's only five days into the month, and we're on page 42! I've been in hospital for 9 days, so last month's GC is a bit up in the air - I haven't had the chance to go over receipts and check to see if we went over as I have no idea what DH bought. So we're avoiding for now, and moving on to August.

Please put me down for £200 for August.

Hopefully a NSD for me today.

Sorry to hear that Triggles hope you are better now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

th_hope-you-are-well.jpg

take care

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 posts
    Looks tasty. Well done. Made my first HM toad in the hole last night and the batter mix worked lovely. Not up to making bread yet :eek:
    As Nikki said this is really easy, all you need is a loaf tin for bread or baking tray for rolls. If you do not have a loaf tin use a cake tin and bread will come out round. It is sooooooooooooo easy good luck YM.:j
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • gunsandbanjosgunsandbanjos Forumite
    12.2K posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    Making millies cookies with chocolate M&M's, nomnomnom. They look good, the dough is yummmy....
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell