Couch to 5k Running - Part Two

So we were over the 1,000 posts on the other thread so here's a nice new shiney one for us to post in :)

We are following the Couch to 5k running programme which can be found here: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html although I'm back on week 1 after quitting for a year or so :rotfl:

Any newbies feel free to join in :)
Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.

Comments

• Hi I'm fairly new to MSE.

I am on week 3 of the couch to 5km podcasts thingys. It's taken me 5 weeks to get to this point though since I've had a few boughts with sickness that knocked me flat. Trying to get back into it.

So far I do the jogging with the podcast, then continue walking for the full 5km while listening to an audio book. I guess eventually I'll be running all the way though hard to believe at the moment!

I read on the other thread a discussion about sports bras. I'm a 34D so definitely have to wear one. A tip a friend gave me though - if you don't have a sports bra, is to wear 2 bras, one on top of the other. I know it sounds wierd but it really works - and I used it to tide me over till the sports bra I had my eye on was reduced in the sales.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• I am also back on week one after lapsing over the last 9 months. Also joined WW - hoping to lose 21 lb.

I have to say that although I have only done the odd run since last summer my body is finding it easier to adjust and get back into the swing of things this time.

Week 2 tomorrow.

pp
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    I am also back on week one after lapsing over the last 9 months. Also joined WW - hoping to lose 21 lb.

I have to say that although I have only done the odd run since last summer my body is finding it easier to adjust and get back into the swing of things this time.

Week 2 tomorrow.

pp

I thought the same this time around. It isn't killing me like it did when I first started but thought I must have been going mad as I haven't ran for ages so figured it'd be like starting over again.

I have one more week 1 run tomorrow then might go onto week 2 after the weekend (have people coming to visit all weekend so won't be running).
  • Drea
    Hi I'm fairly new to MSE.

I am on week 3 of the couch to 5km podcasts thingys. It's taken me 5 weeks to get to this point though since I've had a few boughts with sickness that knocked me flat. Trying to get back into it.

So far I do the jogging with the podcast, then continue walking for the full 5km while listening to an audio book. I guess eventually I'll be running all the way though hard to believe at the moment!

I read on the other thread a discussion about sports bras. I'm a 34D so definitely have to wear one. A tip a friend gave me though - if you don't have a sports bra, is to wear 2 bras, one on top of the other. I know it sounds wierd but it really works - and I used it to tide me over till the sports bra I had my eye on was reduced in the sales.

Welcome to MSE :j
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    I used to run at my local club in my teens but its now 20 years since I did any running . I have been thinking about doing some jogging but dont even have a pair of trainers!! Could someone recommend a good pair as cheap as possible please?
    I can cobble together the rest of the kit and then I might just give this a go! Might even rope in my dd for some girly bonding if I can persuad her. So couch to 5 k it is ...maybe ... (whats that in old money lol??)
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • Drea
    bertiebots wrote: »
    I used to run at my local club in my teens but its now 20 years since I did any running . I have been thinking about doing some jogging but dont even have a pair of trainers!! Could someone recommend a good pair as cheap as possible please?
    I can cobble together the rest of the kit and then I might just give this a go! Might even rope in my dd for some girly bonding if I can persuad her. So couch to 5 k it is ...maybe ... (whats that in old money lol??)

It is best to try get running trainers, they really make a difference! I was crippled by a normal pair of trainers when trying to run. I got my Asics for £30 from JJB but that was a while ago. I just had a look on their website and they have these ones for £30 http://www.jjbsports.com/new-balance-wr441-/running-trainers/shop/fcp-product/10580

Maybe Sports Direct have some cheap ones too?

You can get tested to see which are the best type of shoes for you at various places but I've never done it. I think JJB are doing it for free at the moment.

Hope you can find something soon and join us :D
  • Drea
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/footwear/running-shoes
    There are a lot of cheap options here :)
  • teachergirl
    teachergirl Posts: 767 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Drea thanks for making it easy to find:D
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Thanks for that ...I am doing my weekly shop tomorrow and opposite the supermarket is a JJB so I will have a look! .
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • Drea
    Drea thanks for making it easy to find:D

:rotfl: I hoped the big red letters would do it :D
    bertiebots wrote: »
    Thanks for that ...I am doing my weekly shop tomorrow and opposite the supermarket is a JJB so I will have a look! .

Ohh keep us informed! Be good to get more people doing it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure