PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Organization of cupboards

Options
I don't know...I seem to have bits of this and bits of that all over the place!
As i do more cooking from scratch I have more ingrediants, esp as I am starting to be far more adventourous !!

however the down side is the cupboards are a mess ...stuffed with things on top of each other! Part of the prob I think, is the high cupboards just have one shelf (I would prefer two). So I am asking for inspiration to get a bit more organized. I was half thinking of wee baskets to put all the spices in, then all the seeds, then all the dried fruit, etc. But not sure if this would work, and would prefer not to part with cash if there is something more obvious I could do instead!!!

Mah

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my pantry "shelves" for spices and herbs is a three inch 8cm wide length of wood. It's stood on two cheap and nasty (9p) tins of beans at each end...

..one day i'll find some brackets to fix it.

Stiff card board from a box can do quite well - and my local store always has those box-tray-thingies that you can take home.

I've got all my various sauce bottles stood lid down in cut down plastic milk cartons and by stacking cans like for like (remembering to put the new stuff at the back) I don't do too badly :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I would hold on to ice cream tubs and use those for the groups of stuff (spices and herbs are best kept out of the sunlight anyway) Ice cream tub lids are great for putting on the shelves that hold bottles that would get messy drips on them like oil and soy sauce etc, much easier to clean!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LOL I was just about to say that I use old ice cream tubs :) I also have a couple of the undershelf storage basket/shelf things from Betterware.

I'm also so anal that I have ingredients stored on the shelf in country order eg: Chinese ingredients, indian, jamaican, italian etc. Yes I know I'm sad.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    i am an expert on this having re-arranged and sorted the cupboards out just the other weekend, i went down to the local cheap/£1 shop and bought some plasitc tupperware type containers spent about £4 and sorted things into sections ie put all baking stuff into big container with lid (to keep nasties out), put rice, pasta etc into one (in packets still) did it like that look really oranised now it really helps especially if u hae a TINY kitchen like mine
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moggins, I don't think that's sad, I think that's a great idea. I often cook Italian or Chinese and I keep all my spices together, but what a good idea to put them all in separate containers, but together on the shelf

thanks!

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a tall cupboard as well and I find that the big plastic sweety jars go in perfectly on their side with the lid pointing towards you and you can stack two on top of each other to fill the space. I keep pasta and rice in them instead of in the packets which spill contents everywhere. This has freed up so much room it would be my one tip above anything else
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm having the same trouble. But my problem is labelling everything. I have a spice rack but it doesn't have anywhere to write the contents. The same with the jars, boxes and tubs that hold everything else.

I have a pen that I can scrub off but some cheap labels that you can peel off would be ideal. If anyone can suggest any or a cheaper idea I'd be grateful. My husband has already put salt in his tea! :doh:

Great tip about the spices. I used to do that years ago, then a 'helpful' boyfriend decided to tidy up for me and rearranged them all in alphabetical order! I've never managed to get the blend for my curries the same since! (Bless him, he's a house husband now and I bet he runs a very tight ship!) :D
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got 500 sticky labels for a fiver from daxon - that's a penny each - and in fact often cut them into two or even up to four when using them.

Check out the Kitchen Appliances section of https://www.daxon.co.uk
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hi

I try and organise my cupboards and try to sort one/two each week(also clean it out,check stock etc)so they are normally all donw out every 4/6 weeks.

I have a cupboard that has a shelf at the top-this I use for breakie cereals, porridge, squash etc. The bottom shelf is strictly for tins-in line order there are soups, beans, spagetti, rice pudding/custard, tinned fruit, tomatoes (chopped & plum)sweetcorn, mushy/garden peas, tuna. My mum always taught me to have one in reserve...but I normally keep 3/4 :o They are either smart price or on offer so only cost pennies and always think, if I have nothing in the freezer, we'll always have food :D

Another cupboard has jams, marmalades, peanut butter, marmite, spices, curry pastes, ketchup, HP, chilli powder, about 4 jars of cooking sauces, biscuits, gravy, salt, pepper, vinegar, etc etc.

My problem is the bloomin rotunda! How do I sort this out? It is broken and cant hold alot of weight, but have flour, suet, pasta, packet sauces, coffee. tea, sugar, baking stuff, stuffing, jelly, etc.

Have I got too much stuff??? LOL!! How can I sort the rotunda out??

Cheers

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm having the same trouble. But my problem is labelling everything. I have a spice rack but it doesn't have anywhere to write the contents. The same with the jars, boxes and tubs that hold everything else.

I have a pen that I can scrub off but some cheap labels that you can peel off would be ideal. If anyone can suggest any or a cheaper idea I'd be grateful. My husband has already put salt in his tea! :doh:
    Perhaps a look at the Freebees board might yield some free samples of labels. I know that the company Avery are good for sending free samples. You could cut them up to fit, stick new ones on top of old etc etc until you find a cheap source of removable post it note type thingies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure