Support Each Other In Looking For Work?

Options

Comments

• livermum
    livermum Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with your mum Steph, wait until you have the offer and the hours in writing and then call and ask to discuss the change in the hours.
  • stephyt23
    stephyt23 Posts: 852 Forumite
    Options
    livermum wrote: »
    I agree with your mum Steph, wait until you have the offer and the hours in writing and then call and ask to discuss the change in the hours.

Thanks, think I will follow that advice then. Seems mad I don't want that many hours and want to volunteer but when it's vital experience I can't just give it up. They're prepared to have me there until the end of July.
    Saved: £1566.53/ £2000
  • November5th
    November5th Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Back from the interview, does anyone else find it a bit emotionally draining? Trying not to think about whether I got it or not. It was just a friendly chat with the MD, not really very interviewy at all, so have zero clue how I did. I looked and smelled nice. Hair went a bit fuzzy.
    I mean, I was personable, smiling, they have said that they know I can do the job but I do feel something is holding them back. I have told them I think the company is awesome (genuinely). I let them know I was up for a similar role at a big retailer, so that they can feel confident I am not desperate and that I am credible.

The other candidates have all come through a recruiter (a lovely lady who I know, but met after I applied for this job) so they will save a couple of thousand hiring me as I went direct through my contact, on this note, what do you lovely posters think they will do?
  • stephyt23
    Options
    Back from the interview, does anyone else find it a bit emotionally draining? Trying not to think about whether I got it or not. It was just a friendly chat with the MD, not really very interviewy at all, so have zero clue how I did. I looked and smelled nice. Hair went a bit fuzzy.
    I mean, I was personable, smiling, they have said that they know I can do the job but I do feel something is holding them back. I have told them I think the company is awesome (genuinely). I let them know I was up for a similar role at a big retailer, so that they can feel confident I am not desperate and that I am credible.

The other candidates have all come through a recruiter (a lovely lady who I know, but met after I applied for this job) so they will save a couple of thousand hiring me as I went direct through my contact, on this note, what do you lovely posters think they will do?

Fingers crossed you get some positive news from it :)
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    stephyt23 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I'm sure most of you saw I had an interview on Monday for a Nursery job which I believed was for casual/holiday cover. The job on the website stated this is what it was for, as did my interview confirmation letter.

When I attended the interview it turned out it was actually part time 17 hours to work in the After School Club. I didn't question this as I thought the hours would be better and more regular.

I've just received a call offering me the job, but now it's for working between 25 and 35 hours a week. The times and days will vary as they are on a rota basis. Now while I know I should be thrilled to have a job I can't help wishing it was the 17 hour one. I do not want to leave the school I'm volunteering at. They are being so good to me and after Easter want to give me more responsibilities to help towards my Uni interview next month. The school experience is what I need SO much more than Nursery work which I've done loads of.

They are writing to confirm my job offer so my Mom has suggested I call them once I have that to see why the hours have changed. If I can't have the original job I was interviewed for to see if I can be guaranteed one day off a week so I can still volunteer. They know I am returning to uni in September to teach and that I'm volunteering. Do these two things seem reasonable to ask?

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :j:j

Definitely wait until you get the offer in writing and just enquire why the hours have changed. I wouldn't try to push it too much if you do really want the job though :)

Oi! Stop trying to think about whether you got it or not ;)
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • stephyt23
    Options
    Drea wrote: »
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :j:j

Definitely wait until you get the offer in writing and just enquire why the hours have changed. I wouldn't try to push it too much if you do really want the job though :)

Thank you. I won't push it but does seem odd how things have changed 3 times. Even if they can change the job hours for me I'll still be looking for work as I still ideally need a school based job to go alongside my degree so am now looking for ones to start September, I don't really want Nursery jobs, any that I had applied for were a maximum of 20 hours so this is well over that.
  • November5th
    November5th Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    stephyt23 wrote: »
    Thank you. I won't push it but does seem odd how things have changed 3 times. Even if they can change the job hours for me I'll still be looking for work as I still ideally need a school based job to go alongside my degree so am now looking for ones to start September, I don't really want Nursery jobs, any that I had applied for were a maximum of 20 hours so this is well over that.

To me the changing hours suggests that they will be quite negotiable and open to suggestion. Rock on!
  • stephyt23
    Options
    To me the changing hours suggests that they will be quite negotiable and open to suggestion. Rock on!

I can only hope your right :) they'd have to guarantee me one day off a week from September for uni anyway which they know about. Will soon find out if I can get them changed, I reckon the letter will be with me over the next couple of days so i can call them Monday
  • EndlessStruggle
    Options
    I'm trying to fil out an application for with that annoying question of "Why do you want this job?" Yawn. :o
  • soupdragon10
    Options
    I'm trying to fil out an application for with that annoying question of "Why do you want this job?" Yawn. :o

I am so so tempted sometimes to put 'anything is better than the endless round of jobsearching' or 'Why do you think - I need to earn some money to pay the bills' rather than the usual I am interested in the role etc etc. I do wonder how that would go down with a recruiter - would at least make your application stand out, but perhaps not for the right reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure