My Energy use Diary

Comments

• A_fiend_for_life
    A_fiend_for_life Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2010 at 12:18AM
    Jenny,

Apologies for not posting sooner.

I have few appliances in the house.

Kitchen: I have the oven, washing machine, fridge and kettle. A microwave or slow cooker might be useful though.

I defrost everything in the fridge before cooking. This keeps the fridge cooler and uses less electricity to cook. Most of my cooking is batch cooking generally I will cook everything in the top oven or batch cook using the hob.

Potatoes and other root veg I slice thin, about a centimetre for potatoes and turnip, as it is quicker to cook that way. Pasta and potatoes I do enough for two or three meals. Potatoes will keep well in the fridge for a day or two. Pasta will keep in water. I am told pasta will keep for up to a week in water so long as you change the water daily though realistically I don't keep it that long.

I saw a tip on pasta recently that I have yet to try out. Boil the pasta for two minutes and leave to stand for the recommended cooking time. I think a teapot stand and a couple of clean tea towels - one underneath and one on the lid, should do the job. This leaves the hob free for other cooking eg batch cooked bolognaise. As I say I have yet to try it though and have tried pasta in the flask before which can be tricky.

I flask any hot water form the kettle as the minimum is 1/2 a litre. Too much for one person. I also flask about 1/4 to 1/2 litre of water from the residual heat on the hob.

I know the fridge takes just over 5 kWh a week from summer measurement and about 3.5 kWh in winter when I was away for two weeks xmas before last. I haven't got round to living without a fridge and am not sure it would be practical.

I only have a laptop, radio and stereo in the living room. I know the laptop battery is rated at 70 Wh and lasts two and a half hours so uses around 0.028 kWh. So quite a difference to a PC.

Most washes are done on 30 C and bedding at 40 C sometimes I go for a 60 C but rarely. I line dry as much as possible but sometimes but a clothes rack in the south facing part open communal close if the weather is changable. I've found clothes will also dry in freezing weather too. Just put things like jeans upside down so snow doesn't settle and melt on the waistband.

Not sure what you do about the hair stuff I imagine it would take a bit of negotiating which is a massive understatement. Not sure if partial drying is an option - maybe hair is damaged more if it is overdried. A towel wrap was an OS way not sure if that would cut down on hair drying much - time permitting. Might take more straightening though.

EDIT: :eek:
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite

I saw a tip on pasta recently that I have yet to try out. Boil the pasta for two minutes and leave to stand for the recommended cooking time. I think a teapot stand and a couple of clean tea towels - one underneath and one on the lid, should do the job. This leaves the hob free for other cooking eg batch cooked bolognaise. As I say I have yet to try it though and have tried pasta in the flask before which can be tricky.

I've done this many times and it does work! Also works for potatoes, too;) (The pots take a little longer than usual)

You can also soak pasta, rice and other grains before cooking and this cuts down on the time to cook.

Great post, there, A Fiend For Life:T
  • I didn't think about doing it for potatoes too. Thanks for that I will give it a go when I've finished this batch of tatties.

I found the timing for pasta in a flask a bit awkward might try that again too.
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 1 April 2010 at 11:44AM
    My bills are in for the March quarter and I was rather scared looking at them. BUT they weren't too bad given how cold it's been.

Gas - More than last year by 10 Kilowats per day but still less than 2007 and close to 2008.

Electricity - More than 2009 by 1 kilowat per day but again less than both 2007 and 2008.

My Gas and Electricity bills are in for the March quarter and I was rather scared looking at them. BUT they weren't too bad given how cold it's been.

Gas - More than last year by 10 Kilowats per day but still less than 2007 and close to 2008.

Electricity - More than 2009 by 1 kilowat per day but again less than both 2007 and 2008.

The Gas has cost 21p more per day and the electricity 10 pence more per day than last year. For the qtr this is about £29 more for both.

So overall not as bad as I thought it might be.:T
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    easterglitter14.gif
  • A B and C for last week and 26th on the list. This weeks is slightly higher at 20 kWh for electricity and 113 kWh for gas.

Fell asleep with the heating on :eek: thats the second time I've done that since measuring.
  • JennyR68
    JennyR68 Posts: 416 Forumite
    2 C's for last week.

This week has gone totally pear shaped. The new water tank meant pressurised hot water. Wonderful for the shower, not so wonderful for the old hot feed pipe for the washing machine in the laundry room that has sat quite happily for years since the machine changed to cold feed only. Now under pressure it developed a drip unnoticed till the carpet was soggy. Fortunatly hubby in carpet cleaning business and had all the gear to sort it out. Unfortunatly my readings this week have jumped up by 80kwh with all the extra heating, fans, dehumidifier :eek:
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Somedays it does feel your doing the two steps forward one step back dance Jenny.

We are finally builder free they have been hanging about since Feb on&off, so not only will my electric go down but i will save a fortune in tea and biscuits.
    So from last Thursday im no longer all electric as we now have oil CH for next winter, the combi boiler kicks out a bit of heat so hopefully it will make my tumble dryer redundant.
    So my challenge now is to cut back the electric so the saving will pay for the oil

This week we came in at A/B badges and 106 units for the week (aver 15ish a day) with the kids on holiday i can live with that.
    Have a good day everyone
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    I'm still not making much of a dent on the elecricity used, I was hoping that the lighter evenings may have made a difference but there didn't appear to be much change in my weekly electricity reading :(

Gas 32 kWh (down 31 kWh on last week)
    Electricity 70 kWh (down 3 kWh on last week)

Ratings A+ / A+ MSE Carbon Club 3/62
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Two 'C' badges again for last weeks readings - but both on the 'B' side, so very happy with them.

Electricity dropped this last week (down by 2kWh, which I put down to DS being away Friday until Tuesday, so one less PC on for hours each day) - but gas back up to almost double the previous week :eek: I'll admit I had the heating on most of Sunday (was very chilly while sorting through clutter, so it was either heating or curl up on the couch under a quilt - and while the latter was the more inviting choice, the declutter really does need doing as a matter of urgency ;) ), but was shocked to find it's made that much of a difference :o
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport