Cheapest way to call mobiles - article discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
49 replies 5.1K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
This thread relates to the 'cheapest way to call mobiles' Deal on the main site.  To read it click here

To ask a question or make a point just click reply
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• Uhm.

Reducing your costs for calling mobiles:

1. Don't
    2. Text instead
    3. Use the same network as the call recipient.
    4. Use somebody else's mobile.
    5. Use your works 'phone/mobile (no, I don't do this believe it or not).
    6. ?
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • IGS_2IGS_2 Forumite
    10 Posts
    ??? RE: Deal of the Week,

I am definitely interested in 18866;  according to your article you need only open an account and set up direct debit, however 18866 state on their website that they only accept credit cards as a method of payment, they cannot accept Switch or DD although they are looking into it.

In the circumstances I will hold fire until DD is available

Keep up the good work

IGS

Insert from Martin:  Quite right - i've amended the article - it does tell me Direct Debit from Switch cards will come soon though
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • priceworldpriceworld Forumite
    24 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I've never used a prefix company before can you programme it in to your quickdials or do you need to wait t=for a tone before continuing to dial?
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks great as my kids are continually calling their mates on their mobiles. Even calling them back to save them money......

Query: I am on One Tel. Will it work with them ?

Thanks and regards.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i signed up to the 3 network,500 free xnetwork mins,including landlines +free3g phone.it sounds a great deal.....but are there any catches ???
    please reply
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    its £25 per month for above
  • FastflysFastflys Forumite
    344 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi Martin & Ian Smith

Have 18866 changed their T & C’s?

I registered with 18866 in November 03 and input my Debit Card details.

My first invoice/statement from 18866 was dated 04th January 04 and the total deducted from my Current Account on 15th January 04.  No problemo.
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Visa Debit cards it does accept - but not Switch - hence the difference

Quote: At the moment you can only sign up with a credit or debit card (Visa, Master or Euro card). We do not accept switch, solo or direct debit payments yet, but are working on a solution to offer these options in the future. To stay informed of all new options added to our service please subscribe to our newsletter.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • FastflysFastflys Forumite
    344 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi Martin

Apols - Thought you and Ian were saying that you could only pay by Credit Card :-*
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    hi, ive just seen ur cheaper mobile calls link. ive got an orange contract mobile and an NTL landline. I want to be able to make calls through oneTel (or another service) for cheaper calls from my mobile to other mobiles. Is this possible, if so how and which company would i use.

Also im a student and sharing the NTL landline contract with other housemates. We have free calls 24/7.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News