Meter Registration Service ???!!!

Options

Comments

• Caro0800
    Options
    To all who consider getting an 0800 number for your new business

I recently took out a free trial of an 0800 number and for the past week or so I have been answering call after call from various people claiming to be from Utilities Registration who say they are calling about the new building I have taken over. I have answered the calls and politely told them that I don't need electricity and I do not own the building. The volume of these calls, twenty today alone, means that at the end of my free trial they would have been using up all of my contracted minutes and I would have been paying for them to call me. I have been forced to stop the free trial and reconsider how my customers will get in touch. Reading other posts it seems like they got my number from the free business directory. I am considering sending these people a bill for my time plus damages for loss of earnings due to the harassment they have caused passing my number to a disreputable organisation. This should be illegal and I really hope that someone can stop these people.
  • starguide
    starguide Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 September 2013 at 7:35PM
    Options
    I've recently been harassed by 'Utilities Registration', and despite advising them that I'm registered with TPS and telling them to stop calling, I've had their representatives not only tell me that I have a legal obligation to give them information, but also tell me that being registered with TPS doesn't matter as they'll call anyway - and one argue that I'm not registered with TPS! I have been getting in excess of 30 calls a day, generally focused around various points in the day - sometimes up to 3 calls simultaneously! They're proving difficult to block, as they constantly ring with slightly different numbers - all of which end in '006'.

Having got completely fed up of them, I spent a day winding them up, pretending to be insane, and even leaving my phone next to a VERY LOUD radio that played adverts down the phone at them!

None of that appeared to work, so I'm now holding a competition for my customers to see who can guess the longest time I can keep Utilities Registration on hold for before they give up and hang up, the prize being a gift voucher for my shop. They're calling my mobile, so they're welcome to rack up their bills fruitlessly!

It seems to be near impossible to stop this company harassing anyone they want to scam, but I'm trying to turn it into something positive while making my stand against them simultaneously. My thoughts are that if it becomes financially unviable for them to pursue their current line of business because everyone they call does something along these lines, perhaps they'll eventually either run out of money (and go out of business) or at least give up bothering me. On the flipside, while they're on hold to me, they're not bothering anyone else - or me!

I've also made a complaint to TPS, so we'll see if anything comes of that.
  • extraordinary
    Options
    I just got a call from the meter registration service too on 01229228006.

Bizarre call with him saying have we moved contract and me saying 'who wants to know?'.
    'We're a commercial registration company'
    'Right what does that mean? You're selling my details?'
    'We're not selling anything sir, we got your information from your supplier. We just need to know if you've changed contract'.
    'Why do you need to know this? Who are you? What benefit do you give me? Can you take me off?!'
    'Well no sir I can't take you off till you tell me who you're with'.
    'I'm not doing that so I guess you better leave me on'
    Then he finished with 'Right, ta ra!' and slammed the phone down.

Still none the wiser as to what they do, who they are, why 5 minutes of my life have been wasted.

But if my post helps someone else get on with their life then I'll be happy. ;-)
  • Hy-Spec
    Options
    I recently moved into a new business premises and have been harassed, I do not use this term lightly, I have been averaging 20 calls a day! Every time I have cut them short and told them I was on a sub meter and are therefor not responsible for my utilities, if they were clever enough to put a note on their system they would save me and themselves time and no longer contact me. I tried just hanging up on them, they ring straight back, i have informed them I am registered with TPS which they choose to ignore. I am potentially losing business with them tying up the line.

I haven't even got as far as hearing their BS (and illegally misleading by the sounds of it) sales talk or their ridiculous prices but they are bugging me big time!!

I am considering taking legal action, doubt I will win but a point needs to be made. I do however have a quiet day today and the most productive thing I can think to do is to ring a certain company every 20 mins or so to see how they like it :D
  • TubbyMorton
    Options
    These idiots have been calling me all morning. They're energy brokers and are trying to sell you one of their contracts. Call 0845 543 6679 and ask them to remove your number otherwise you'll sue for harassment. It's worked so far. Good luck. Why do we have to put up with all this crap?
  • TubbyMorton
    Options
    Within a few seconds of my request (see above) I received a call from Craig at a company called Active Energy Direct (are they all in cahoots?). I left him talking to himself before emailing them to ask that my 2 numbers to be removed from their database or face a lawsuit. I sent a read & delivery request. Email address is info@aedirect.co.uk or Tel: 0330 333 4105
  • memento82
    Options
    Hi, I know a business that was put into a contract with Opus energy through an energy broker called EnergiSave Online who claimed they were a Meter Registration government body.

It's owned by Janet Thornton and she also owns Inspired Energy based in Kirkham.

It seems their only sales tactic is to hound and abuse customers until they sign with Opus Energy.

You can read more here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4901283

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?418165-Inspired-energy-and-energisave-online-dodgy-annoying-sales!!&p=4477238#post4477238

http://phonenotes.org/01772674300

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01772674300

She says she's against cold calling which makes her a hypocrite:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/business/local-business/energy-expert-in-crack-down-call-1-5404520
  • why_oh_why_2
    Options
    add this one as well have been called none stop gave me a number 01612105128 what a fail how can i stop em???????
    please advise as this is causing me losing business...

thanks
  • stuckinthepub
    Options
    We have been in business many years and seen scams like this from time to time.
    Having recently changed our landline provider we have started to receive calls from this outfit. So far we have had "Choice Utilities" and "Utilities Registration" and other names we didn't bother to record. All using the same spiel outlined by many posters earlier in this thread.
    The numbers we have gathered so far are 0161 2105182, 0161 2112182 and a seemingly local one to us, area code 380006 also today two others from 0161 ending 06. There have been numerous other calls form this outfit but we didn't have time to check the callers number or ask what guise they were using on that particular occasion.

Fortunately we won't get duped into giving them the details but they get quite threatening when told that we know they are a scam outfit and that we will not divulge the details they are after.

I have reported them to the 'Information Commissioners Office' for nuisance calls. Google it and you will easily find it.
    If I read it correctly they need 2700 complaints before they can act.

So get reporting this shower everybody.
  • HMW1790
    Options
    I can't believe this company has been allowed to continue its antics!!

There maybe a theory that they get some information from Facebook as I launched our business page last night and had our first call this morning- could this be the case????? Has anyone else noticed a pattern like this?

The original call was from a lady who said she was from UK Energy (so be aware of this company as well) and that they had been notified that since setting up our business we need to register a meter as one is flagged on their system as unregistered. I advised that there was no unregistered meter and that we are predominantly a home so no business registration is required. In fairness the lady (I didn't get her name) wasn't rude or pushy on this call and when I said that we were a home she said would update her records and that was the end of that.

Then within 2 minutes I had a call on my mobile from Jamie at Meter Registrations saying again saying we had an unregistered meter. I advised that we had already had a call about this and that there were no issues. He went onto say that he had passed the information from our landlord or supplier so of course I advised we didn't have a landlord and that scottish Power (thereby giving away that snippet of information) had all the details they needed. Jamie advised that he would contact scottish power and find out the issue and call me back. He then went onto say that we may get calls from other companies that are actually brokers and that we should ask them for a password (that he proceeded to provide me with) and that if they couldn't provide the password I should just put the phone down.

At this point we were starting to get concerned that there was a problem with our meters (we do have a complicated set up in the house that is not conventional) and that maybe we would be liable for a bill in a meter that we hadn't been paying so we got in contact with Scottish Power. It was only in doing this that things started to fall into place that Meter Registrations is just a broker using very questionable methods for gaining information and contracts.

Scottish power had not heard of the company and could not give any information as to why we would be getting the calls and whilst talking to them Jamie called back to say that scottish power had sent us some information that we were supposed to read, sign and return but as we hadn't done this Meter Registrations had to get involved. He said wasn't about the contract but about meter registration. By the way these calls are coming through on my personal mobile number. I told him we were currently on the phone to SP and he said he would call back in 5 mins. It was at this point that I just thought I would google the company and the first result is this blog which was fantastic as it has hopefully helped me put the calls to an end before they really started.

They did call back about 30 minutes later but it was a lady. I don't recall her name as I was just too he'll bent on tying her in knots!
    So she spilled off where from etc and I asked her where they had got my number from. She didn't answer the question but said they worked with all the suppliers and that the suppliers could not contact me directly about re-registering my meter as that would not enable me to get the best offers. I repeated the question of where did she get my number and got the same garbage response so advised her that my name and number are not on our utilities account therefore they could not have been provided with their information directly from SP. She said that they had not spoken to SP today so I reminded her that Jamie had told be he had to which she answered he may of but I haven't. I then told her that I didn't have an unregistered meter and she said I had as my contract is coming up for renewal. I advised that I didn't because I am under contract and that this call is not about an unregistered meter and that again Jamie had advised the call was nothing about contract but about meters. I the. Went on to tell her that she is a broker and that she is trying to get information from me in a questionable............. Phone went dead!!!!!!!!

Thank you bloggers for giving me the confidence to know what I thought but had started to question and was able to nip this in the bud. I am going to report this as per the previous post as these are disgusting bullying tactics.

Always liked MSE but am a dedicated follower now:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport