Meter Registration Service ???!!!

Options

Comments

• BusinessEnergyBroker OK folks you have had the wool puled over your eyes again BusinessEnergyBroker you have a lot of knowledge about stuff lol all brokers are the same sorry to say some worse then others bdexter no1 offender but all same and no opus are not good they are the crap
    but no not in any way the best payer far from it . so BusinessEnergyBroker
    will you ever be posting your number so we can call you for energy help lol

BusinessEnergyBroker you :money::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • VPK001
    Options
    These guys have been calling consistently these past few days - we even had five calls in a few hours from three different people in the same company. I have had a verbal agreement though with them for our electricty - handed over bank details and everything... I'm worried. Idk, their name made them sound official so I handed over meter details.

Today they called about our gas and they pushed all these details onto me. I was absolutely bombarded and they tried to rush through a verbal agreement when they know I am not in charge of the business or anything: my mum is but her English is not great so I do the job of translating. I told them - spoke to more than one person today too - my mum wasn't around but they tried to push me into making a deal with them so I decided to end the call. I've only just turned eighteen and so the fact they would almost force me into making such an agreement for a business I will have no part in for the next few years (uni) was alarming to say the least. What should I do? Have I been suckered into a bad deal??? I don't want to cause any problems for my parents having locked them into a horrible situation for a couple of years when I won't be around to accept responsibility - my siblings are quite a bit younger than me so they won't be able to help them through it. :(
  • whittboy
    whittboy Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    We just took on a new warehouse only 3 days ago, today someone called from the "meter registration service" suggesting that because a previous tenant had used a broker for their power the meter wasn't "registered" and he needed the serial number from it.

Something instantly struck me as shifty so I googled the meter registration service and found this thread. Half an hour later somebody else called from a different company with the same story, I said I wasnt responsible for the electricity supplier and didnt have the details they wanted. I told them that as far as I was aware it was all sorted already to which they insisted that it wasn't sorted, before eventually hanging up on me.

I notice that the Benjamin Dexter ltd website is now trying to distance itself from the other similar companies, which are probably part of the same company anyway.

I cant believe that these guys are able to get away with this for any length of time.
  • AndreasJ
    Options
    Hi!

I thought I would just pop a post on here.

I used to work for Commercial Power. They are based in a call centre in Bispham, Lancashire.

It is a soul destroying place based on lots of staff leaving and joining in one continuous cycle.

The company buy data of new businesses which have registered a new address in the last 3 months. The data is then passed across the teams and its a dog eat dog situation as to which salesman gets the sell first.

There are 2 stages to each sell. The first is to cold call a number and persuade whoever is on the other end to let Commercial Power put in a "quote" for them. Salespeople are encouraged by Commercial Power to be aggressive and abrupt making calls as quick and productive as possible. Do NOT let them put in a quote for you! By agreeing to the quote you have not signed a contract but what it means is that you WILL be harassed for the foreseable future by lots of salespeople from Commercial Power.

A quote is then sent through to a team who search for the meter reading which you will have had to give in order to get the quote. The salesperson will receive the 'best' offer. Now, Commercial Power are only brokers (I use that term loosely) for N Power Eon Shell and BES Gas. The most amount of commission is attached to N Power and BES Gas. Therefore there will be a high number of quotes which come back as being the best offer for N Power or BES Gas...

BES Gas is an interesting story too. The director of Commercial Power and BES Gas is Fleetwood Town chairman Andy Pilley. Therefore it is in his interest that you choose to go with BES Gas. BES Gas are registered to provide electricity and gas.

Finally when you 'sign' a contract with Commercial Power it is done verbally via the phone. These contracts are recorded. However the company will do all they can to fool you into thinking what you are buying is legitimate. If you Google Andy Pilley BES Gas. There is a story in the Guardian from last year where a man signed a fixed contract only to discover it was variable rate.

The views in this post are mine and are posted as a comment in a discussion regarding electricity brokers. This post is being made in the public interest of others.
  • wildfreebird
    Options
    We have had many calls from The Energy Register company. From Scottish Patricia regarding registering our electric meter.
    This is complete rubbish, do not be taken in by there lies.
    She actually said it was a legal requirement, BUT ITS ALL LIES.
    In the end I told them that all the calls were being recorded, and she swiftly hung up.
    I suggested that you do the same, tell them you will report them to trading standards and that all the calls have been recorded.
    Good luck with this.......:rotfl:
  • Hellsfire02
    Options
    They're still at it and they wont leave me alone! I tried calling BT but they said they can't do anything as it's marketing and not malicious? So won't put a trace on the with held number. I'm also registered with TPS but they still managed to get my number and I haven't used google adwords....
  • ureg
    ureg Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 15 October 2010 at 4:05PM
    Options
    moosh wrote: »
    Can not find this company CUR Ltd. Are you sure you are not from Benjamin Dexter Ltd trying to put us off the scent!

Well just like your fact finding, you didn't look very hard.

Go on to Companies House and type in CUR and it brings it straight up.

No im not Benjamin Dexter and even if i had been why would i want to deny it??!! Ill give you my address and you could come down and discuss it with me if you wish?

Its just annoying how ill informed people are but post these 'facts' as the truth cos they haven't done their research properly. There so many people with wrong facts on this thread it's untrue.

It makes me wonder how these people survive in business to be honest
  • Andrew_J_Cook
    Options
    2 weeks ago I asked for my company details to be included on the public directory, in order that we can be traced via directory enquiries. The day after it went live, we were picked up by all the other directories such as Thomson and 118118, who all phoned to verify the details, so far so good. The next day the electricity calls started, the worst day yielded in excess of 20 calls from various organisations claiming to be the "Commercial Meter registrations service" "the commercial energy register" and such like. All "knew" that we had just moved in, and were on an emergecy tarriff and were required to provide them with the necessary details. This was sufficient proof that that it was a scam, as we had in reality moved in months earlier, and had spent 6 months refitting the building prior to opening, in addition we have a 2 year electricity agreement with Eon.
    Now almost 2 weeks later the calls are down to two or three per day, but we still have to hear the same script read out time after time. Some of the men in particular are extremely rude when the realise that you aren't going to fall for it.
  • Ernie_wise
    Options
    Hi All

Just thought I'd share my experience.

We recently relocated into an industrial warehouse a couple of weeks ago and almost as soon as our phone line was installed we started to be hounded by these people under as many guises as you can imagine. I spent a few days getting frustrated but after some research learned it's all a big scam and decided to have some fun with it.

So, just had a call from a lady called Chloe from Eco Save spouting the same old spiel to which I duly played along. Eventually, realising that she was getting nowhere the lovely Chloe told me to go f**k myself. Nice! I wasn't even being nasty myself. Anyway I found the number for Eco Save amazingly from their website www[DOT]ecosaveltd[DOT]co[DOT]uk called them up and asked to speak to Chloe. Believe it or not I got through to her and questioned her on her attitude, she said that they'd been having problems with BT and it must have been a crossed line. So, obviously I had to offer her phone line registration in return for her company bank details and account number etc etc, lots of fun. I have half a mind to call Chloe every hour on the hour for the next week or so but I suspect that it's not quite legal, so we won't be doing that.

Next time I'm curious to see how long one will wait on hold before they hang up. If anybody has any ideas, suggestions are welcome.

There's nothing worse than a dirty business! These people make me feel sick and I dread to think how many people have been conned by their underhand tactics.

Ernie
  • Sparklesgifts
    Options
    Hi,

My partner and I have just set up a small gift shop a few weeks ago and I really wish that we had seen this thread before. We only had a landline put into the business premises last week and since then we have been harrassed every day through the week by people calling and telling us that we need to register our meter with them. My partner took one of the first calls and it turned out that this was from a "government body" who said that they needed to register the meter and sort us out a contract "today" as we where paying emergency rates. AT NO point through the call did the caller advise that there is no cooling off period and that they where calling as a broker on behalf of Opus. The guy on the phone said that he had checked the rates and that Opus where the cheapest in our area. As you may imagine, like several other people have already said, it is difficult enough to get a new business up and running without being harrassed daily by these dis-honest people. We have learned a very important lesson and in the future, we will make the calls ourselves and never agree to anything over the telephone and will ask for everything to be sent through on e-mail or in writing.

Thank you for the advice about putting everything in writing, I am just about to go and write a letter of complaint to Opus regarding their tactics on getting customers to sign up with them. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure