Best place to buy cabin luggage for Ryanair.

Options

Comments

• penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    NMSE12 wrote: »

We have these and haven't yet used them for ryanair (only AirFrance/ KLM so far who seem a lot more lax about these things!). I was just wondering if anyone had had any problems with them becoming 'bottom-heavy' and exceeding the 20cm depth at the bottom? It's because they're so soft-sided, gravity takes its toll and it seemed to bulge a bit. Am I just being daft? Or is worth just giving it a wiggle upside-down before boarding to redistribute it a bit?
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have these and haven't yet used them for ryanair (only AirFrance/ KLM so far who seem a lot more lax about these things!). I was just wondering if anyone had had any problems with them becoming 'bottom-heavy' and exceeding the 20cm depth at the bottom? It's because they're so soft-sided, gravity takes its toll and it seemed to bulge a bit. Am I just being daft? Or is worth just giving it a wiggle upside-down before boarding to redistribute it a bit?

You get a few chances to try and fit it in the cage so I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't know if you've flown Ryanair much but the boarding gate is always surrounded by people sitting on the floor pulling clothes out and rearranging their bags!

I'm assuming most of the bag will be clothes? That should make it easy as should make the outsides of the bag spongy enough to conform to the shape of the cage as you push it in.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jewlls wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am flying with ryanair and have found this bag
    Sub Zero G World's Lightest Cabin Bag - Charcoal from argos which is half price.
    Size H31, W39, D21cm
    just a little worried thats its 1cm over in depth,
    would this be excepted on the plane.
    thank you

If it is checked and it is deemed to be over Ryanairs limits (which it is) then it will not be accepted.

Ryanair are very clear about what is acceptable and what is not. It's up to you whether you take the chance, but if you are caught then please don't grumble about having to pay £40 to put it in the hold.
  • penguingirl
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    You get a few chances to try and fit it in the cage so I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't know if you've flown Ryanair much but the boarding gate is always surrounded by people sitting on the floor pulling clothes out and rearranging their bags!

I'm assuming most of the bag will be clothes? That should make it easy as should make the outsides of the bag spongy enough to conform to the shape of the cage as you push it in.

Thanks- we have flown Ryanair quite a lot, but always with bags that have been well-used (borrowed off the parents who fly half a dozen times a year) so never thought about it too much. As long as I know we can have more than one attempt I'm sure we will be fine- I think Ryanair just provoke paranoia sometimes!
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks- we have flown Ryanair quite a lot, but always with bags that have been well-used (borrowed off the parents who fly half a dozen times a year) so never thought about it too much. As long as I know we can have more than one attempt I'm sure we will be fine- I think Ryanair just provoke paranoia sometimes!

It's not Ryanair that provoke paranoia, it's people trying to sneak bags on that don't meet their very clear stipulations.
  • penguingirl
    Options
    KonkyWonky wrote: »
    It's not Ryanair that provoke paranoia, it's people trying to sneak bags on that don't meet their very clear stipulations.

Yes this is true. I think it doesn't help that you hear rumours about the cages by the gates being smaller etc. I am confident that it will be fine as I'll double check the bags once they're filled with a tape measure (despite the fact that I have already measured them once)
  • vinuela13
    vinuela13 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe that I am stressing so much about what cabin luggage to buy.
    My first choice was the matalan sub 0 g small case.
    £35.00 each.We need 2 cases £70.00.
    Then I checked the dimensions 56.5cm x 36cm x 21cm.Weight 1.55kgs.As the 56.5cm is slightly more than Ryanair allow I am quite concerned whether to take the chance or not.

I also found the Wilkinson Plus case 53cm x 36cm x 18cm.Weight 2.1kg. £20.00 each. Total cost £40.00

Then looked on Ebay and found these

Rolson 50cm x 35cm x 20cm.Weight 1.4kg £12.99 each free P&P.Total cost £25.98

Ryanair Cabin Bag 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.Weight 770g. £8.99 each.P&P for two bags £4.50.Total cost £22.48

Should I go for the cheapest option or should.Any thoughts/ opinions/ advice would be appreciated
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a couple of the Cabin Max back packs
    Plenty of room in them as there's no wheels and mechanism gubbins to use up space and weight

660g
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • vinuela13
    vinuela13 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    mcfisco wrote: »
    We have a couple of the Cabin Max back packs
    Plenty of room in them as there's no wheels and mechanism gubbins to use up space and weight

660g

Yes they look great.Brilliant weight as well.
    I'm wondering whether it is worth paying that little bit more for quality luggage because we intend to use Ryanair quite a lot in the future
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm wondering whether it is worth paying that little bit more for quality luggage because we intend to use Ryanair quite a lot in the future

The Cabin Max aren't poor quality, medium quality would be my description
    I find that cabin bags don't get anywhere near the beating that hold bags do so confident that they'll last well as long as I don't continually stress the zips beyond their comfort zone
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure