Best place to buy cabin luggage for Ryanair.

Options

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well, the listing does say it fits into the Ryanair cage so I can't see why it shouldn't be OK.
    As long as the measurements include the wheels and stand, it should be fine.
  • Hev444
    Hev444 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Good choice Nattprice, I brought these bags for our flights with Ryanair and they are perfect. I got one for each family member and we were all surprised as to how much you can fit in them. A few people on our flight were saying what a good idea the bags were and asking where we got them. Not only are they the perfect size but they are light weight too :T.

If there was one thing I had to find wrong with it would be the zip at the top, the one I got my dad (it was plain black) it had a double zip so you could put a lock on it but the other ones (different coloured ones) only had one zip.

My mum has also used hers a few times with no problems.
  • BadWolf
    Options
    Remember if it fits in the cage its allowed, Ryan Air' cage is slightly bigger than the official allowed size.

I found this bag on ebay (enter "Outback cabin bag") its the exact size and fits the cage snuggly. It weighs something like 1.5kg but is comfortable has chest straps, packing straps and is strong etc.

There are a couple of others on Ebay and amazon very similar and cheaper that are not as good very lightweight (like sacks when not in use ) I have one of the cabinmax bags and to be honest because its so ligthweight it doesnt cope with the weight you put in it. Also not as comfortable no chest straps definately needed if you are carrying it on your back.

I reccomend the outback bag, more expensive but worth it.
  • janbabe
    janbabe Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    so if the Ryanair cage is slightly bigger than the dimensions they allow for baggage - would that mean that our case which is 1cm bigger - 56x40x20 should be ok.

It seems like some people feel that there is no way you can go over the size and others feel that 1cm or so wont make any difference!!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    janbabe wrote: »
    so if the Ryanair cage is slightly bigger than the dimensions they allow for baggage - would that mean that our case which is 1cm bigger - 56x40x20 should be ok.

It seems like some people feel that there is no way you can go over the size and others feel that 1cm or so wont make any difference!!

I think it's less that 'people feel there is no way you can go over' but more like people aren't prepared to risk their baggage being oversized so having to put it in the hold and being charged for the 'privilege'.

I've no idea if the Ryanair cages are oversized or not but if an airline's dimensions say a certain size, I stick to it and know that I will be OK.
    You can rely on people's opinions and experience if you wish but it depends on what happens on the day you are travelling.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It also depends on that 56cm - is it fixed, e.g. metal bars and wheels, or is it soft and easy to push into the cage?

I used to have a bag that was the perfect size plus wheels - and that was fine on Ryanair because you could put it in the cage vertically so no-one minded that it stuck slightly out at the top as long as it slid in and out of the cage. However on Easyjet it goes in horizontally - the wheels made it too wide so it couldn't go in. I had to rip the wheels off (thankfully the case was pretty old by then - I used it for 3 years before I was ever asked to put it in an Easyjet cage).

I now have the Sub-Zero 'World's Lightest' which I picked up in the local Matalan Clearance:
    f8h6js5lcd3ji.jpg

I guess this is the same one everyone else has been talking about..? I love it - the perfect cabin bag. I've been using it for about 18 months with a whole bunch of airlines :wink:
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BadWolf wrote: »
    I have one of the cabinmax bags and to be honest because its so ligthweight it doesnt cope with the weight you put in it.

I disagree - I have the cabinmax rucksack and it has served me well. It is lightweight, but very sturdy, and has side extender straps so it is easy to tighten it up when packed.

It depends on how much you are carrying - flythomascook has a max cabin luggage weight of 5 kilo, so if your hand luggage is already 1.5 kilo, that is a big chunk off your allowance.

I agree that a chest strap would be a nice addition, but the straps are well moulded and padded, and its not as if I use it for long hikes - it is just for cabin use. I have travelled hand luggage only woth my cabinmax bag and it has coped very well.

They also do the rucksack with wheels and extendable handle, which I don't like much as it doesn't do the job of either very well.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • janbabe
    janbabe Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    our bag is 56cm x40cmx20cm and that is including the wheels and handle. It is a framed bag with pull out handle and has wheels. The handle almost goes flat but its that which makes it 56cm. we are going with Ryanair so think the bag has to go vertically into the cage ie wheels in first.

We may take this one, but still looking around!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure