Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents - Page 37

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
421 replies 86.2K views

Replies

• archie159 wrote: »
    Its not normally a nightmare if you (a) get a pre-march out visit (these are actually mandatory nowadays), and (b) do exactly what is on the checklist they will give you. If you are cleaning the house yourself, allow plenty of time - it really does need to be spotless. If you are using a cleaning company, either the official one or a private one, then it is much easier. The official cleaning scheme was about twice the price (last summer) of one of the local companies to where we used to live, so hunt around. The main advantage of the official scheme is that you can walk out of the door after the packers, with no worries; you'll have to judge whether that is worth the extra costs (how far would you have to travel to return for the march out if you get a private company in to clean after you have left?). We did clean our first few quarters ourselves, but it is a lot of hassle when you have children also. If you do get a company to do it, try to find one which is used to forces quarters - our last DE office gave us a list of companies which previous people had used without problem.

Hope that helps. As I said, as long as you do what is on the checklist they give you, then we've never had any problems. Oh, its is worth getting them to look at the garden on the pre-marchout, to agree in advance what needs doing - the checklist just says "neat and tidy", but their and your definition of neat and tidy might not be the same. We had one housing officer (or whatever they are called) who tried to insist that half the flowers were weeds and needed removing - she clearly couldn't tell a rose from a nettle. But she was the only difficult one we ever really had...

The best thing to do is to ensure that you leave no stone unturned and remember that the people inspecting are untalented with no particular skills and have taken the job because they are unsuited for skilled employment, they are in the main bitter passed over individuals who find it difficult to get a decent job and generally bear a grudge against the world which they take out on the occupants of the properties they inspect.:rotfl:
  • blt wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to ensure that you leave no stone unturned and remember that the people inspecting are untalented with no particular skills and have taken the job because they are unsuited for skilled employment, they are in the main bitter passed over individuals who find it difficult to get a decent job and generally bear a grudge against the world which they take out on the occupants of the properties they inspect.:rotfl:

Thank you for that BLT you did make me laugh! I am trying very hard to give the 'inspectors' the benefit of the doubt, but going by your comments and our nightmare march in I think you may well be spot on! :eek:
  • Does anyone know what the rent is for a grade 2 house?????
    :xmastree: karen :A
  • Alias_OmegaAlias_Omega Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭
    At a guess, about £180..?
  • jacandjacand Forumite
    562 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Depends on how many bedrooms you have also the area.
  • sam39sam39 Forumite
    17 posts
    I used to work for DE - it depends on what 'type' of house it is - is it an Officer or 'Other rank' and how many bedrooms. If 'Other rank' is it a B type (2 bed), C type (3 bed) or D type (4 bed).
    I am sure that someone will be able to help you out once you give these details.
  • alibongo42alibongo42 Forumite
    295 posts
    Daily charges 1 Apr 10 - 31 Mar 11
    Grade 2

Officers (unfurnished):
    Type I - £16.63
    Type II - £14.98
    Type III - - £13.22
    Type IV - £10.22
    Type V - £8.41

Soldiers (unfurnished)
    Type D - £7.63
    Type C - £6.67
    Type B - £5.91
    Type A - £4.49

These costs will be more if the house has additional bedrooms, or is full/part furnished.
  • Hi There,
    Will i have to return the garden to it's former mess when i move out? I have spent alot of time and effort into making it nice. also if i put down laminate flooring will i have to rip it out when i move?

Many thanks in advance
  • babyboono1 wrote: »
    Hi There,
    Will i have to return the garden to it's former mess when i move out? I have spent alot of time and effort into making it nice. also if i put down laminate flooring will i have to rip it out when i move?

Many thanks in advance

Leave the garden looking nice - the next occupant will appreciate it! RE the laminate flooring - not sure exactly what that is, but you definitely ought to discuss this at your pre-marchout (you have booked one, haven't you...?!!). If it is seen as an improvement then they'll let you keep it unless it might later require a complex repair for which there is no contract. Definitely one to discuss. As I said before, as long as you have a good pre-marchout (and then do what they discuss), then there should be no surprises on the day. Also it gives you time to argue about any disputes, such as a new floor, before the day itself.
  • jacandjacand Forumite
    562 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    We have been in our quarter for over a year now, the front porch has a door which is glass with a wooden frame. Also there is a full length glass window.
    We had a survey done recently and the guy doing it said it should be safety glass. I have a 2 year old and a dog.
    The housing people say they have ran out of money for replacing my windows and doors, do you think I can push for it to be done, and who should I contact?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support