My Energy use Diary

Options

Comments

• Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have just had one of these free from my power supplier and it's a bit addictive!

Overnight we seem to use about 100 watts which then peaks at about 500-600 in the evenings when the heating light and tv are at full use.

Does wnyone have any idea wether these readings are high or low for a 3 bedroom house with two adults ?
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
  • Janeryan
    Options
    Have just had one of these free from my power supplier and it's a bit addictive!

Overnight we seem to use about 100 watts which then peaks at about 500-600 in the evenings when the heating light and tv are at full use.

Does wnyone have any idea wether these readings are high or low for a 3 bedroom house with two adults ?
  • Janeryan
    Options

• Janeryan
    Options

• Janeryan
    Options
    Sorry about the prevous post-computer went a bit mad!

Anyway the energy monitor sits at about 63 overnight but at max use of oven/washing machine/kettle and tv it jumps to about 7000!

Just read the meter and updated imeasure with my new tariff and readings-we were a Crating last week which was good as we were a D before- we spent £16.56 in total.

£7.24 was on 126 kw gas and £9.32 on 54kwh of electric which is up on this time last year by £1.58 and 28 kw.

Glad we capped our prices in September tll June 2012 as our new DD is only £5.00 more than the old one but we shouldn't get hit with the price increase!
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys, forgot to update yesterday but we did score a B rating for last week, so I'm delighted at that.

Daytime units 72
    Nightime units 33
    Storage heaters 44
    Total for week = 149

Averaging 21.28 units per day despite temperatures having been well below zero on several occasions, which is costing around £15. The logburner is certainly a huge saving on electricity, we'll find out if it's an overall saving as the winter comes in properly. At least we have a warm house now. :D

Janeryan, doesn't the monitor just take account of what's being used at the precise moment you read it? There isn't really any way of comparing with other households other than by using the overall total used by someone in the exact same situation as yours. But spending £16.56 for a full week, especially with your house centrally heated and hot water on tap, sounds really good to me. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi All

I think I might have to give up line drying for the year. I put all my washing out yesterday and to be honest there wasn't that much diffrence when I brought it in.:o The new glass in the front door is making tons of difference and I finally feel like the setmefrees are well insulated.

Keep up the good work :T
  • Smurfetty
    Options
    Hi There,

Do these energy monitors only monitor electricity or is there one for gas?

Thanks guys
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Setmefree, it's a bit like that here with the awful weather, but I still like the fresh smell that even 10 minutes outside gives the washing. Beats any of the commercial fabric softener scents :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options
    hi all

just imput some readings on imeasure and we are a D rating

not happy at that
    no dishwasher no tumble dryer
    4 adults and 1 big child age 14 in the household in all day 3 of us at least

any suggestions as to where to cut down

i have an energy monitor and one of the big things seems to be the old crt type tv which due to other halves ill health is on alot upstairs
    about to switch from a gas to elect cooker and also just changed supplier from scottish power to eon. bill is similar but will take advantage of £55 quidco and £100 cash back in 12 months also free energy monitor which i will sell, give as a pressie etc as i already have on

need a door curtain too as i feel we lose heat there and need to line the curtains even if i line them with old curtains! as have a double glazed large patio door which i also feel is a cold spot
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport