My Energy use Diary

Options

Comments

• A_fiend_for_life
    Options
    End of year 2 on imeasure. Doesn't seem that long either.

This year (last year)

Elec: 923 kWh (1313 kWh) (Lowest was 897 kWh / year)

CO2: 485 kg (691 kg)

% change: - 30%

Gas: 3401 kWh (2757 kWh)

CO2: 707 kg (485 kg)

% change: + 23 %

CO2 change

1192 kg (1260 kg)

% change: - 5.4 % (Not sure if I will make this 10% for 10:10 but I will try.)

Cost: £252 (£356) (I tried to keep this below £600.)

% change: - 21 %

I never quite made it to below £200 for the last year though did get below 1,000 kg CO2 for eight weeks.

My pre imeasure baseline was 13,000 kWh of gas and 2,300 kWh elec or 3914 kg CO2.

I will post less often perhaps monthly or quarterly from now on but will remain mindful.
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    martina123 wrote: »
    WOW! Am well impressed with the commitment of everyone on here! I'm really going to talke on board some of the advice and tips and work on reducing my energy bills and carbon footprint. Thanks guys! :)

86.gif and come back and tell us how you get on.:D
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Meter readings for this week processed, and latest readings submitted to Scot Power.

This resulted in my being shown a message that (as of 1/9/10) they were going to increase my D/Debit from £47 to £54 - which I was not at all impressed by (especially given I've only recently received an email from them saying that the discounted contract I'm on until the end of this month will be extended until the end of July 2011 unless I tell them otherwise ASAP).

My actual bills for the last 52 weeks have come in at £611.20, which equates to £51.07 per calendar month - so I already didn't understand the increase to £54.
    Then add into the pot that I'm £62.38 in credit, so if I deduct this from the £611.20 it gives me a potential zero credit situation in 12 months time if I were to start paying £45.74 per calendar month (ie. less than I'm paying now)

So I've just been onto Scot Power, and they've "agreed" to maintain my current payment level for the moment - but only subject to my agreeing to another review in 3 months time, so I can see me having another fight with them when I submit my 4-weekly readings either mid/late Oct or mid Nov :mad:

I'm actually expecting my electricity useage (for the 'household' rather than 'per person') to drop from September, as my son - who is a heavy computer user - will be moving in with my parents as they're a lot closer to the Uni he'll be attending than I am..... and while I knew I couldn't expect their automated system to know about this or take it into account, the lass I spoke to didn't seem interested either !!!
    Cheryl
  • JennyR68
    JennyR68 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I have to wait till end of Dec before I have a years figures to compare. But just a week off from comparing this quarter to same one last year. We've changed the water system from an electric shower and E7 tank to a mains fed shower and a tank run on standard electric so looking forward to seeing how it's worked as was advised elsewhere on this forum that it was a foolish move.:rotfl:
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hmmm...41kw this week up 1kw from recent history but...i have moved 3kw from the day rate to the night rate. So a pretty big improvement I think. I'll stick to washing at night. Saves a fortune.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Poosmate
    Poosmate Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Options
    Early evening all, or is it late afternoon all? Ok maybe just, hi all,

I haven't read the whole thread yet but it's looking good. I am going to try to cut down my elecricity consumption although I believe I'm a relatively low user anyway and I'd like to get into the habit of reading my meter more often as well.

I think I'll go and create a spreadsheet now. Thanks for inspiring me.

Thanks HappyMJ you've just reminded me to load up the washing machine and se the timer for 1.00am!

Regards

Poo
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • JennyR68
    JennyR68 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Finally got my fisrt set of figures to compare. As I've said before we changed from E7 to thermostatic electric heating on a single meter and doing so lost the E7 for our hot water consumption. Plus we ditched the electric shower and put in a new tank allowing the shower to run direct from it instead.

So the cost/consumption figures are now in for the quarter 18th May to 11th August. Last year we used 2111 kwh in this time and it cost us with British Gas £199.23, we've since changed to EDF and the same consumption with them would have cost £164.35.

This year for same period we have used 2013 kwh, so although not major it is a reduction and it looks like the gamble with the tank change has paid off. Even better it cost £156.92 :jSo all in all I'm rather chuffed :D
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Poosmate wrote: »
    Early evening all, or is it late afternoon all? Ok maybe just, hi all,

I haven't read the whole thread yet but it's looking good. I am going to try to cut down my elecricity consumption although I believe I'm a relatively low user anyway and I'd like to get into the habit of reading my meter more often as well.

I think I'll go and create a spreadsheet now. Thanks for inspiring me.

Thanks HappyMJ you've just reminded me to load up the washing machine and se the timer for 1.00am!

Regards

Poo

Good Luck :T
  • Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    22 Aug 2010Gas 43kw£1.30Electric 46kw24£4.21total 89kw33co2£5.51

23 Aug 2009Gas 48kw£1.45Electric 57kw£5.29total105kw40co2£6.74
    That's an improvement as both those readings are with the new boiler!
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LOL. Last week 26kw. But, no washing was done. I should of taken the reading after the 3 loads were done. I really must get that energy monitor as it appears to use a lot more than 1kw per cycle. The laptop was also switched off for the week as I had run out of broadband quota so that saved 5kw but it cost me £14 in lost revenue so won't be doing that again. I'm back on unlimited costing £4 per month more. Oh well...
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure