My Energy use Diary

Options

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    After a good run of 'C' badges (some on the 'b' side, some on the 'd') I ended up with two 'D's for last week......

And I've just entered my last readings as a 2 person household, as DS moves out for Uni tomorrow morning. I expect/hope to see my electricity (and water) drop slightly, but don't think it'll make any impression on my gas as that's heating, hot water (we don't use much), and my hob - all of which will still be in use, except I may not use as many pans as often as I'm happy with jacket spuds (micro) and batch cooked meals unknown.gif

The first readings I have recorded on iMeasure are for 28/9/2008, so I'm coming up to a true year-on-year comparison date - though in that time I've dropped from 3 people to 2 (Nov 08) and now to just the 1 of me. Should be close enough to give a fairly accurate comparison though, and my latest bills have shown a drop in useage comparing 'this period' with 'this period last year'. According to iMeasure I'm currently 548kWhs and 231kg down on my years use to Sept '09, and am currently using about 70kWh and 25-30kg/week

Got an 'interesting' water bill this week..... shows previous reading of 653 from 16th March (yet my reading on 16th was 654.022, though previous week was 653.155) and current reading of 672 from 28th August (but my reading on 24th was 673.829 and even reading of 17th was 673.212 - with week previous again being 672.568). Makes me wonder how much of a time lag there is between the reader coming and it being entered to their system - date of entry clearly becoming the 'date of reading'
    Cheryl
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 8 September 2010 at 8:35PM
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm going to read our meters. I have no idea how we've been getting on. But I can't remember the CH was last on, so the gas will be ok.

We have finally replaced the leaded glass in our front door. So it should be much be much warmer in the smf2 house this winter. I think we are now as well insulated as we could be..... oh the new glass looks fantastic too!
  • THRIFTY_GIRL
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm going to read our meters. I have no idea how we've been getting on. But I can't remember the CH was last on, so the gas will be ok.

We have finally replaced the leaded glass in our front door. So it should be much be much warmer in the smf2 house this winter. I think we are now as well insulated as we could be..... oh the new glass looks fantastic too!

Lovely isn't it? We've had new double glazing, new doors as part of the refurb work (not to mention the conservatory but I like to think that adds value to the house:rotfl:). Oh...not to mention the Cavity Wall Insulation. I don't know how much saving will be down to this but we are also yet to switch on the CH.;)
    MFiT - T2 # 64start date: 1.7.09 MFW end date: 31.10.17
    Start balance: £205,746.51 :eek: Month 18/100..paid 13.50%
    Current balance: £177,977.07 (updated 18.12.10)
    Target 12.12.12: From £194,000 to £140,000:p
    MFI-3 reductions: £16,023/£54,000 achieved (29.67%):j
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have had a look at the meters and we are getting along quite well... towards the "doing well" end of our usage. Nothing to worry about there.

Just had a look back to 2009 and our CH came on about the 4th of October last year (at about 18 to 19 degress). At the moment the temperature is still in the 20s most mornings (it was 21 degs this morning when I woke up).

I'm still line drying tenerife-forum-washing-machine-smiley.gif

Happy Meter Watching :D
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2010 at 10:25AM
    Options
    can i join please

i want to cut down my usage
    we have 4 adults and 1 child in here

gas central heating and cooker
    laptops / xboxes / tvs galor
    no dishwasher no tumble drier

i have just purchased and electricity monitor!!

currently pay £90 per month to scottish power but my usage for the last 16 days was £15.84 gas and £15.08 electric

i am currently £56 in debt

next direct debit payment due 7/10/10 hoping to clear or come close to clearing the debit then

want to reduce spend on everything

how do i monitor personal usage for persons!!

thanks guys

also want to make my home warmer for winter ideas appreciated but guess thats another thread
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 September 2010 at 7:53PM
    Options
    hello and welcome :hello:

http://www.imeasure.org.uk/

The above site is great, I've been using it for 13 months now and am obsessed with my Monday morning input figures, must get a life someday!

somewhere on the old style board is a great thread about using less gas and electric, cant find it at the mo but I'm sure someone else here will be able to post a link for you.

EDIT: found it http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=247646

and read
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=531601

this is the original winter thread, number 2 is up and running now

hope that helps :)
  • cw18
    Options
    Becoming a single person household is certainly hitting my badges on iMeasure :(

Had been running on 'C's fairly comfortably, but last weeks meter readings (the first since DS moved out - he was only in the house for about 15 hours after my previous readings, so I made sure to adjust headcount before entering those) have put me onto 'E's

Meter readings for this week not looking promising to even retain my 'E's either !! Last week I was showing as 29kg CO2, this week I'm up to 35kg :eek: :eek: :eek:

Electricity has dropped (from 42kWh to 33kWh), but gas has shot up (from 34kWh to 90kWh :o) I had to boost the hot water a couple of times to run a bath (having major problems with a leg, which a hot bath helps to relieve), and had to put the heating on over the weekend blush.gif

I've been trying to resist using the heating, but the chill in the house (which is only 8.5 years old and very good at retaining heat) was starting to feel slightly damp..... and the dog was noticeably shivering as well. Put it on for a few hours Sat evening at a slightly higher temp than I normally would (otherwise it wouldn't have kicked in), and that improved things for early Sunday. But after lunch Sunday it was starting to feel 'yuck' again, so I ran it for longer at a slightly lower temp. That seems to have done the trick (for now) as I've not needed it again since, and the house wasn't bad for my 5:30am alarm calls yesterday and today :)
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    edited 23 September 2010 at 11:20AM
    Options
    Just realised I've hit my 2nd Anniversary of using iMeasure

Sept 2008-Sept 2009
    Started as a 3 person household, with need for extra heating when DH wasn't in hospital which would have been partially offset by no contant TV/radio use by him when he was in hospital - time between hospital and home was pretty much a 50/50 split
    Dropped to a 2 person household in Jan 2009 (DH passed away mid Nov 2008, but then had DS1 home on compassionate/annual leave from the Army until just after the New Year)
    kWh : 10,642
    CO2 : 3,316

Sept 2009-Sept 2010
    dropped to a 1 person household early September 2010
    kWh : 10,288
    CO2 : 3,049

Seems odd that I've got an 8% reduction in CO2, but only a 3.3% drop in kWh, but then I've never tried to figure out how much CO2 is generated by 1kWh electricity or 1kWh gas unknown.gif
    Cheryl
  • setmefree2
    Options
    wilf55 wrote: »
    can i join please

Welcome-BlueSmiley.gif and Good Luck :money:
  • setmefree2
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    I've been trying to resist using the heating, but the chill in the house (which is only 8.5 years old and very good at retaining heat) was starting to feel slightly damp..... and the dog was noticeably shivering as well.

I've noticed over the years that people say that damp starts to occur round about 18 degs - I don't think you can let a house get colder than this without causing a condensation problem imho.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure