🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• clairet707
    clairet707 Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Ive just managed to save us £20 a month plus the possibility of £24.50 cashback through quidco on our contents insurance..

Were fairly limited on companies due to having 6 bikes dotted around the shed / garage

Were with M&S (customer services are fantastic btw) and have been for 4 years

Weve just moved house and the policy went up £15 a month to £42 (moved from a 2 bed to a 3 bed)

I looked online and the exact same policy with M&S online was £22 a month, so I did it through quidco and phoned up and cancelled our current policy:T:money:.. The customer services person was amazed and couldnt believe I could get the same policy for £20 a month less..

The quidco cashback hasnt tracked yet but am keeping an eye out for it... Bargainous
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I just changed my Buildings and contents insurance from the Halifax who were charging me over £700 a year ( I have my mortgage with them)
    I have got a policy with NUD and it has only cost me £191 for the year (Contents cover is free)
    The Halifax have sent me a really snotty letter and have demanded that they are named on the insurance policy, which I have done.
    When I phoned them they said that they could have offered a better deal if I had asked - When I told them what I was paying with NUD they said that they couldn't match it:mad:
    After 15 years with them I have not been happy with their so called customer service. They are offering new customers £50 every time they renew their policy but existing customers are not eigible.
    Why don't they reward customers who have been with them for years and already shown loyalty?
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have taken the NUD "Free Contents" Cover make sure you have included any add ons you had with the Halifax such as Accidental Damage and Personal Effects Cover as the Free Contents from NUD is only the basic contents with none of the frills.
  • indens
    indens Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    whilst searching for building insurance i came across the Priveleged Platinum policy which offered building insurance, contents insurance, travel insurance and home emergency insurance for plumbing, electrics and outside pipe works sewers etc as well as central heating cover. the cost £115 per year. i currently pay over £600 to various bodies for the same cover. this sounds too good to be true but i rang them and they assured me that all was as stated. has anybody used this company and is it as good as it sounds?

thanks indens
  • bluejosiah
    bluejosiah Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like to pay for my home insurance in one lump sum. However this time around there is a chance that I may have to cancel it sometime throughout the year. Does anyone know (without me having to phone and ask an insurance company), whether I would stand to get any money back if I had paid for it all up front? Or would it be better to pay in instalments?
  • linc_3
    linc_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi - thanks to this week's MSE newsletter I have just saved myself £110.00!!

My contents insurance was up for renewal and after reading that Direct Line are offering 50% discount, I had a look and saved myself over £100 for shopping around.

Thanks MSE:D
  • annabelorange
    Options
    What is the best method for getting house and contents insurance for a second home please?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Often a good place to start is with the Insurer of your "Main" home as they normally look sympathetically on the second home.

If your with a company that cannot help pop into a local broker as they should be able to help you.
  • saving-mad
    saving-mad Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    does anyone know, quidco is offering £40 cashback on home insurance, i cannot find any small print that says buildings and contents, our contents came up at £67 would i really get £40 in this??
    too good to be true!!!
    Owner of a cute cottage in the North York Moors :j
  • am05
    am05 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    I have just saved myself £86 by changing from nationwide to directline for my contents. Does anyone know any cashback website that gives cashback on directline?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure