🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Read the terms and conditions very carefully before you do this as they may have included an exclusion to prevent two cash backs to the same household
  • iandvedwards
    Options
    Just found out that More Than only allow Contents only. Buildings cover automatically includes contents "free"
  • iandvedwards
    Options
    Got quote for combined insurance for £221, plus £70 cashback, which is pretty good. We are first time buyers, so never had house insurance before.
  • chriszz
    chriszz Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    I'm currently looking for home insurance, but i would say that you should take make your decision based on what you're covered for and not just the price! You don't want to miss out on cover just because you wanted to save a few pennies.
  • xandertarr
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience on which insurance companies will cover furnished rented accomodation?

I see on Martin's newsletter this week he suggests students use regular insurance providers for their contents cover. I am in a similar situation of needing to renew contents cover for a furnished property and found that a lot of companies don't cover the contents if it is furnished (which I would assume most student properties are).

For example, Direct Line won't cover furnished rented accomodation:

Q. Can I insure Contents in fully furnished rented accommodation?
    A. We are unable to insure the contents of fully furnished rented accommodation, as this should normally be the landlord or managing agent's responsibility.

It might be worth establishing which regular providers will cover rented accomodation rather than students (or other renters) take out cover which isn't actually valid.
  • dacouch
    Options
    The contents are generally the Landlords problem to Insure, most policies have a section covering Tenants Liability which covers damage you are legally / contractually obliged to pay for.

If your a student you may find your parents home insurance provides cover for your contents for free (Check with the Insurers and make sure you read any restrictions)
  • xandertarr
    Options
    I'm not actually a student, but do live in a furnished property, so it definitely won't be covered on my parents insurance.

I had actually taken out a policy with Direct Line and it wasn't until renew when I called to try and negotiate a better price that they told me I wasn't actually covered and my insurance had been invalid. They were very adamant that because it was a rented property that was furnished I couldn't take out contents insurance even though most of the contents are my personal belongings. Apparently this clause was included because they couldn't be sure whose property I was actually claiming for, and so wouldn't cover any contents.
  • Rosemary
    Rosemary Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just had a cold call from insure4Retirement and the quote for house and contents saved £150 on the renewal notice. Is this comany genuine? Seems so from the little google research I can find.
  • dacouch
    Options
    They are a broker so will have quoted you with any number of companies. It would be wise to ask them to confirm the quote in writing so you can see what cover they are providing and which Insurer they have quoted.

If you post up here which Insurer it is we can advise you if they are any good
  • raket
    raket Posts: 14 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Having had a quote for £360 from existing insurers, went through the (rather painful) process of comparison sites - took about four attempts to complete/compare.

They came up with a starting price of £117. Tweaked these to match the (excessive) cover offered as a baseline by existing policy holder, which knocked some out and decided to go with the 3rd cheapest because of reputation/confidence.

Then I remembered "Ring your existing insurance company!" So not expecting too much of a response - the answer I got was "we'll give you the most discount we can....." and they promptly matched the price! Time well spent on saved money!

Didn't even feel sad I couldn't cancel the existing policy and recommence as a new customer to get their special introductory offer as I'd saved four times the value of the gift offered!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure