Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Darth
    Darth Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Is it legal for a mortgage provider to make purchasing their Buildings insurance a requirement upon getting the mortgage?? We have been told that we have to purchase their insurance. I didn't think that this was allowed. Please advise..........(before we complain!!!)
  • genfink
    genfink Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Moneysavers,

Can someone offer me some advice please, does anyone know of an insurance providers who caters for someone who lives with a lodger? I own my flat outright, it's a 2 bed on the 1st floor of a period property. I live in the property but I let my second bedroom to help out with the mortgage.
    A lot of the insurance providers don't seem to like this very much and my premiums are high, sadly I've not been organised enough to a) shop around as my renewal is on the 24th of this month - 10 days time or b) get myself a 0% credit card to pay for it in a lump sum so I end up going with the monthly installment option which is always more in the long run (Apart from FirstDirect I think)
    Can anyone advise, otherwise I have a list of about 20 providers to call up and go through the same process with, not sure my bosses will appreciate me doing that at my desk!

Any advice gratefully received,
    Gen
    unless it involves the 4 horsemen I'm sure it's not the end of the world....
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Contact a local broker (not swintons) and let them use their knowledge and do the ringing around
  • lil_miss_17
    lil_miss_17 Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone used homeinsurer.co.uk? They're coming up cheapest but not heard of them really. Good level of cover as well!
    2013 wins: March - book,
  • dacouch
    Options
    They are a broker, who have they quoted you with, I'm guessing mma
  • archer5
    archer5 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    De Dacouch, would you know? My son lived in private rented accomodation whist away at uni, (2nd year - keeps coming home evey week-end). Uni is over since 1 month now, he insured contents with Swintons - is he boud to pay the full year until december 09 when he no long lives in the property?
  • dacouch
    Options
    I do not fully understand your post, but I'm interpretating it as your son was at uni and renewed his cover in December, he is has now left uni and wants to cancel the policy.

If this is the case it is possible he can cancel however Swintons have quite big cancellation costs.

Normally his best bet would be to transfer the policy to cover his new home which may result in a credit or may be slightly more expensive.

By the way did you realise that your own home insurance probably provided cover for your sons contents whilst at uni and the cover is normally free
  • archer5
    archer5 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    I do not fully understand your post, but I'm interpretating it as your son was at uni and renewed his cover in December, he is has now left uni and wants to cancel the policy.

If this is the case it is possible he can cancel however Swintons have quite big cancellation costs.

Normally his best bet would be to transfer the policy to cover his new home which may result in a credit or may be slightly more expensive.

By the way did you realise that your own home insurance probably provided cover for your sons contents whilst at uni and the cover is normally free

Thank you he did things 'his way'... can't tell him 'anything'. I found out too late that I could have helped him under my insurance.

I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say about cancelling - as long as I know it is not impossible - just expensive.

Thanks for answering.
  • dacouch
    Options
    It outlines their cancellation charges on their website which if I remember correctly are a £50 charge, I cannot remember whether they also deduct their commission which is circa 20%
  • iandvedwards
    Options
    Just a quick question on House Insurance and Cashback... has anyone tried going for the following...

> separate contents insurance + cashback deal

> separate buildings insurance + cashback deal

i.e. you can currently get about £70 cashback for More than on "Home Insurance".

So theoretically this would enable you to achieve two cashback deals on two separate policies?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback