Watching Iplayer, ITVcatch-up, Ch4 online abroad

Comments

• S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    buglawton wrote: »
    That Firefox add-in idea is new to me. It defies common sense that the browser alone could successfully spoof the originating ip address to fool iPlayer, BBC, etc. To detect and block such a spoof seems childishly easy IMHO.

Well it works when i want to watch "Soutpark" episodes at http://www.southparkstudios.com (if I don't use it It re-directs me to the UK site which has only a handfull of old episodes at a time).

All these sites use an "IP-Geo location" database, The plugin modifys your browser to show the IP you specified rather than your own IP.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lets see if someone abroad tries the add-in on a 'tough' target like BBC iPlayer. The originating ip address is also sent by your ISP and this is of course the more 'valid' address should the broadcaster wish to inspect it.
  • Just to add that you can watch a program recorded on iPlayer in the UK when you are abroad. Plus if you go regularly can you install a Sky box, you can watch lots of channels free with Freesat, or pay under £10 a month for FreesatPlus and using a SkyPlus box you can record, pause etc.
    If you already pay for Sky take your card with you.
  • I've been using this tvproxy.co.uk for the last few months now, it's 10 euros per month, cheaper if you sign up for a year. Instructions are so easy even I could set it up first time. I love tv proxy!!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What about a Sky satellite setup? Get Freesat for free with any Sky box or pay just under £10 a month to record, pause etc. using a Sky Plus box, with just the Freesat channels.
    By the way if you record from BBC iPlayer before you leave the UK you can watch it later whilst abroad.
  • [FONT=&quot]Many replies in this post are spot on...and forgive me in advance if you're a techy since I'm going to a post a response for beginners.

My personal favourite solution is FoxyProxy's paid proxy service. Just search for "Foxyproxy" in Google.
    Cost is £8 per month but cheaper if you subscribe longer.

1. Foxyproxy is an "add-on" utility to the Firefox browser, an alternative to Internet Explorer. If you don't already have Firefox, just type "Firefox" in Google, goto the page, download & install.
    2. Then sign-up for the paid service using the address above. Make sure you choose the "UK" because what happens is that you connect from abroad to Foxproxy's systems first (their dedicated 'proxy' servers and then from there, you goto the BBC website). You get the 1st three days free so you can try and opt-out if you're not happy.
    3. Once you've signed-up, you'll get an email with a specific IP address and Port number. Plus you'll get another email with a username and password.
    4. Start Firefox and then goto "Tools" menu, then "Options".
    5. On the top bar of the new window, click on "Advanced". Then below that click on the "Network" tab, and you'll see something called 'Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet'. Now click on "Settings".
    6. Yet another new window will appear, Now click on the "Manual proxy configuration" and type in the IP address and Port number you got in your email.
    7. Finally, check the box "Use this proxy server for all protocols" and click on OK once and then again, on the OK button to exit the Firefox options.
    8. Now goto the BBC iPlayer website and a box will appear asking for your username and password. Just put in the details your received in your email and click OK, and....away you go!

Channel 4 is more tricky (at least in my experience). These guys have varying degrees of sophisticated methods to detect users come from outside the UK. However, you can normally get it working by installing FoxyProxy's Video Utility (look for it at their site).

If you have Windows 7, make sure you install the 64-bit version. For other Windows system, use the 32-bit version. There's a Mac version too. Once you've downloaded the utility (which is free), install it and it should appear as an icon in your system tray in the bottom right-hand side. Right click on the icon and configure it with the IP Address and Port number you received in the mail (step 3). Restart Firefox and now you should be able to watch Channel 4 no problemo!

Although I live in the UK, I travel abroad frequently and sometimes for longish spells and I don't have time to always download the programmes before leaving (usual mad rush to airport) hence my use. Personally, I find the Foxyproxy "add-on" a little complicated and probably would be a little intimidating for new users but if you have a little patience, it's a great utility.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Good luck! Andy[/FONT]
  • simon26r
    simon26r Posts: 8 Forumite
    you can get much cheaper. ~I use missmysoaps only pay £3 a moth when on offer. got 6 months half price last week best i have found so far
  • I have been using one of the paid ones above which has been great but I recently found one called ZeroBlox which is completely free and works perfectly when I am in France.

Google "zeroblox" as I am not sure if I can post links here but its only .com on the end
    Thanks
    Matt
  • matttwine wrote: »
    I have been using one of the paid ones above which has been great but I recently found one called ZeroBlox which is completely free and works perfectly when I am in France.

Google "zeroblox" as I am not sure if I can post links here but its only .com on the end

Unless it's changed from when this was posted, it's not a good suggestion. Ad riddled and cannot access iplayer - constantly redirected to advertised site.
  • You could try this one I came across. I haven't tried it so don't know how well it works. It's supposed to be free so the question is how are they paying for this? Unlimited bandwidth?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure