Why is my PC so damn slow???

in Techie Stuff
64 replies 2.5K views
I'd be extremely grateful for some advice from you techie people.

I've got a 5 year old celeron pc and it is driving me mad as it's so bloody slow.

I sometimes wonder why I bother having broadband as it labours over everything I do. I don't play games, just surf and send emails mainly. I've got avast, zonealarm and antispyware, so don't think it's anything to do with viruses/spyware.

I've tried the disk defragmenter and that hasn't done much either. It's stuff like when I try to flick over to Outlook Express it will just freeze up for a while before anything happens.

Is it just that the machine is knackered and I need a new one or is there something I can do to help, such as buying more memory?

Another eg, I just right clicked on my computer to get info about the pc to post on here and it took over a minute for the info to come up - this is what I'm talking about. So annoying.

Celeron Processor
1.00 GHz
120 MB of RAM

I'm no techie so be gentle with me :o

Replies

• wolfmanwolfman Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ooo, yeah probably ram. 120mb isn't much by today's standards. Which version of Windows are you running?

One option would be to upgrade to at least 256mb ram, maybe 512mb to be safe. Celeron's aren't super fast either but I run Windows XP on my P3 733Mhz and it copes fine, so you should be ok with the cpu.

The other option would be to move on and upgrade, it has been 5 years. Just watch around for one of the deals to come along, and get a new base unit for £200 or so. Or maybe get one second hand. Find a techie sort who's always upgrading to the latest and greatest, and is trustworthy, and you can get a good deal from their pass-me-downs.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • I would say up your ram. If you got to https://www.crucial.com and follow the memory selector. From here you will be able to find out which ram you need then have a look on ebay to compare to crucials price.

Also you should be able to find out how much ram you can add- as your pc is 5 years old your motherboard may only support 256 or 512.
  • wolfman wrote:
    Ooo, yeah probably ram. 120mb isn't much by today's standards. Which version of Windows are you running?

One option would be to upgrade to at least 256mb ram, maybe 512mb to be safe. Celeron's aren't super fast either but I run Windows XP on my P3 733Mhz and it copes fine, so you should be ok with the cpu.

Thanks for your reply Wolfman. I'm running XP too.

How does one go about buying ram then? How much dosh are we talking here?
    wolfman wrote:
    The other option would be to move on and upgrade, it has been 5 years. Just watch around for one of the deals to come along, and get a new base unit for £200 or so. Or maybe get one second hand. Find a techie sort who's always upgrading to the latest and greatest, and is trustworthy, and you can get a good deal from their pass-me-downs.

That's absolutely the option I fancy, but Mr Purplepatch won't let me! Not enough spare cash in the kitty:rolleyes::D
  • I'm running XP too.

:eek:

See what crucial price it up as then spend what you can justify on the upgrade. Should make a difference :)
  • :eek:

Why the little eek man??
  • The reason your PC is so slow is that you have updated the operating system but not the bits. Reinstall the operating system that came with it and all should be fine at NO cost to yourself apart from time
  • I would say up your ram. If you got to www.crucial.com and follow the memory selector. From here you will be able to find out which ram you need then have a look on ebay to compare to crucials price.

Also you should be able to find out how much ram you can add- as your pc is 5 years old your motherboard may only support 256 or 512.

It's come up with £42 for 256MB, not coming up with 512MB, guessing because it's telling me that my max ram is 512 and it knows I've already got 128MB. Although couldn't I just ditch the 128MB and replace with 512MB instead?

Off to ebay for a look there now :cool:

Thanks for your help :A
  • sionnach wrote:
    The reason your PC is so slow is that you have updated the operating system but not the bits. Reinstall the operating system that came with it and all should be fine at NO cost to yourself apart from time

Not sure I'm following you, the pc came with XP installed :confused:

By the way, the PC is only 4 years old (not 5 as I previously mentioned) if that makes a difference. Just found the original invoice from Nov 01.
  • Hmmm, not sure what to search for on ebay.

Crucial say that I need 168pin DIMM SDRAM, PC133 module. CL=2, non-parity.

There are some more numbers CT242002, but nothing comes up on ebay when I search on this. If I search on DIMM SDRAM PC133 I get 60 odd things come up, but not sure whether they are suitable.

Can anyone help (again!)?

Thanks.
  • The 'eek' man is because youve been running xp with very little ram:cool:

£42 does seem a little steep-perhaps if you post you pc details here- or if you post the crucial page which shows the type of ram you need-then you might get help in lowering the price:D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals