PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with leftover bits of cheese?

Options

Comments

• Drone31
    Drone31 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :hello:

Short-dated cheese was very cheap in Morrisons yesterday, so I've ended up with a lot. :o

360g brie £2.25 to 39p.
    312g feta £3.05 to 49p.
    170g St Agur (soft blue) £2.19 to 39p. :money:

What the hell am I going to do with it all? The freezer's rammed, so it really needs using. I can probably cope with the brie & St Agur, but feta? I've only ever seen it in salads and even then it's not the greatest cheese in the world, is it? There are no mentions of feta in the leftover cheese thread, so any ideas? And not salad; I'm a bloke!

Get a nice bottle of red, some Kalamata olives, chuck them in a bowl with the Feta and St Agur, oil, herbs, sundried tomatoes and some Chorizo/Salami etc and give those taste buds a treat :beer:
    I could eat that stuff all day long
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,837 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feta's quite nice with cauliflower as well (another greek style thingy.)
    Fry some onions and garlic, then add fresh chopped tomatoes and simmer for a bit with a bit of cinammon. Add the cauli florets and seasoning, cover, and simmer till it's just tender. Put it in an oven proof dish with the tomato and onion over the cauli, grate the feta over the top, drizzle with olive oil and a bit of lemon, and bake in the oven till browned.
    Makes a lovely veggie meal with a bit of freshly baked bread.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,758 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Make Brie pots. Put some Brie in ramekins about 3/4 filled top off with apple sauce, nuke these in the microwave (or bake) until bubbling and serve with redcurrant jelly and crusty bread.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I have a recipe I use with blue cheese - its really easy!
    you need a pack of filo pastry
    some cherry tomatoes
    basil leaves

you just cut the filo pastry into squares to fit in bun tins and put about three or four layers (rotate them so they arent lined up - it looks prettier).
    put some cheese in to fill them about three quarters of the way up, put in a basil leaf and then a half cherry tomato (or cut a tomato into bits and place on the basil - or the cheese if you dont like basil). put in a fairly hot oven Gas 6 -7 for about ten to fifteen minutes until the filo is browned and the cheese melts a bit.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Drone31 wrote: »
    Get a nice bottle of red, some Kalamata olives, chuck them in a bowl with the Feta and St Agur, oil, herbs, sundried tomatoes and some Chorizo/Salami etc and give those taste buds a treat :beer:
    I could eat that stuff all day long

Blimey, you know how to make stuff sound good! :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feta and pea quiche - or frittata if you haven't any pastry. Just cumble some feta and chuck some frozen peas into whisked egg with a splosh of cream, milk, yoghurt or sour cream - gain whatever you have in. Either cook in the pastry shell or in a fry pan (pref non stick) with a good slosh of olive oil and if doing frittata either turn over or finish under grill. My DD and I often have frittata for a yummy hot lunch or snack but will also do a main meal if you add some good filling carbs like saute or jacket potatoes and HM or interesting bread. It will also heat nicely in the microwave (OH gets home for lunch later than DD needs to eat and he often polishes it off)
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Frittata sounds suspiciously like an omelette... :whistle: :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feta is nice on a pizza with chicken, peppers, olives etc. Also goes well in a quiche.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi mrbadexample,

I normally use leftover ends of cheese to make a cheese sauce for pasta. These threads may give you some ideas:

Feta cheese

Brie. need some recipe ideas

Saint Agur????

As your thread has dropped down the board I'll add it to the existing thread on using up leftover cheese.

Pink
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Hi mrbadexample,

I normally use leftover ends of cheese to make a cheese sauce for pasta. These threads may give you some ideas:

Blimey Pink, I don't know what constitutes leftovers in your house, but I'm talking about nearly a kilo of cheese here! :rotfl:

Anyway, I thought I'd do a little cauliflower cheese as a tester before I make one for my guests tomorrow. I used some brie and a little of the St Agur for a one-portion dish. 'Twas a bit fiddly cooking a small handful of pasta, and about 4 florets each of cauliflower and broccoli. The sauce wouldn't take anywhere near as much brie as it would have done cheddar, so I haven't put much of a dent in it.

I couldn't justify buying chorizo, sun dried tomatoes etc as Drone31 suggested, but did find some 19p olives in Morrisons, so threw a bit of feta in with those for a completely unnecessary starter. :p

Even though I made it as small as I possibly could, it was still a bit big and I'm stuffed. :D

DSCN1207.jpg

I liked it, but I need to leave the St Agur out tomorrow if I want to keep my mates happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure