The Great ‘Crucial Phone Numbers’ Hunt: Easy numbers for when things go wrong.

Comments

• D33na
    D33na Posts: 11 Forumite
    Oh - and BTW, the advice given earlier about storing emergency contacts on your mobile under 'ICE' is very important. We always check for ICE contacts on mobiles in A&E if a patient is unconcious or unable to tell us who to call. Please get everyone you know to store the numbers of their next of kin (partner, parent, neighbour etc) as 'ICE' in their mobile's phonebook.
  • blownalot
    blownalot Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always keep these numbers to hand
    • lost/stolen cards helpline - usually these are found on the back of your card and if you have lost the card or had it stolen then you have to hunt for the helpline number before you can cancel it.
    • internet service provider helpline - I don't get a paper bill from my provider so whenever I need to contact them I have to use the internet, however usually when I need to contact them it's when there is a problem with my internet connection anyway so that makes getting in touch with them even harder.
  • printedinuk
    printedinuk Posts: 29 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As a serving police officer I thought I would personally recommend the following:
    In relation to NON-URGENT enquiries:-

Police

There is no common non-emergency telephone number. Use directory enquiries, phone book etc. to find your local force number (differs from force to force).
    A few years ago there was a trial of a unified non-emergency number for police (see BBC News article) among a number of English forces, the funding for which was withdrawn by central government (although the relevant local councils decided to continue the scheme). As such, there is no common number in use and you should always use directory enquiries or the phone book to find your local force’s number for your own records.
    Contrary to earlier posts there is no such number in Scotland either and indeed the 0845 600 5 700 number quoted actually relates to Grampian Police only and I don’t believe the Grampian non-emergency contact centre would appreciate calls on behalf of the whole of Scotland!
    Further, please do not use local numbers (as quoted in a previous post sourced, for example, from the “say no to 0870” website) and please do not rely on them as a telephone number for your force; many forces are modifying their exchanges to avoid people calling local offices directly (even blocking numbers sometimes). If you have been provided with such a number it will be for helping you to save time when making an enquiry with a particular officer or regarding a particular incident – using it for general enquiries will actually elongate your enquiry and frustrate officers trying to get on with their already overflowing pile of paperwork!

Ambulance/Medical

Note the telephone number for your GP’s surgery which will direct you to the local out-of-hours service which they use.
    In addition, you can get help and advice 24 hours a day (including information about local health services) using:

England & Wales: NHS Direct - 0845 4647
    Scotland: NHS 24 - 08454 242424
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Patti27 wrote: »
    It wouldn't save you any money calling that number as 0845 600 5700 is charged at local rates anyway.

Yes it would as most MSEers probably use 1899.co.uk, 18866.co.uk or 18185.co.uk. You're only charged 5p connection & 0p thereafter for calling 01 & 02 numbers with these providers.

Other than that it's probably best to take printedinuk's advice anyway. I've my local police number stuck on my fridge and the numbers provided are both a geographical and mobile number.
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Patti27 wrote: »
    It wouldn't save you any money calling that number as 0845 600 5700 is charged at local rates anyway.
    Please don't mislead!

"Local rate" implies that it's the same as a local geographical call. This is not the case and has been so for a number of years.

Local and national calls cost the same, so a national geographical call is charged at "local rate". Phone users' "local rates" vary from nothing on an inclusive package to 4 pence per minute on the most basic tariffs.
  • maudred
    maudred Posts: 8 Forumite
    stu369 wrote: »
    It's more than likely that caller display will not display the name at all if you have one number more than once in your phone book.

This is true. My wife told me to do the ICE thing. A little later she rang me and no name came up on the screen. It took me ages and lots of head scratching to work out it was because the same number was stored under two names....
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maudred, why don't you add the ICE contact like this

ICE (Mrs. maudred) 07xxxxxxxxx

then your wifes number as you would normally

Mrs. maudred 07xxxxxxxxx

It's the same contact details just added differently. This should save confusion.
  • ggugvrunt
    ggugvrunt Posts: 16 Forumite
    I haven't tried this but I think if you enter the ICE contact with +44 instead of the first zero in the 'phone number then it should be recognised as being different from any existing contact.
  • maudred, why don't you add the ICE contact like this

ICE (Mrs. maudred) 07xxxxxxxxx

then your wifes number as you would normally

Mrs. maudred 07xxxxxxxxx

It's the same contact details just added differently. This should save confusion.

Just a thought but my ICE record is basically a note. Containing relevant medical details (anything which may cause me to be found unconscious) and two names. This means that I don;t need to remember to update my ICE when one of them changes their number.
  • Hi!

I've worked in mobile phones for over 3 years now and I've noticed that there's a bit of confusion whether you can have a number twice in your mobile's phonebook and still have the person's name show when they call. Unfortunately, the answer's no. The reason for this is that when someone calls, the phone compares the last 4 numbers of the caller's number to the entries in your phonebook and if they match an entry it shows that number, but only if there's no more than one matching entry.

Unfortunately, this means that 2 things can happen.

1. You put your partner's number into your phone as an ICE contact and ALSO with just their name. Whether one of the contacts is saved as +44 or not (and I recommend you do save them that way as it saves LOADS of hassle when you call home from abroad - assuming your network doesn't charge a fortune for roaming that is!!!!!) the contact name WILL NOT SHOW in the caller id, but the number will.

2. You have two numbers saved, one for your partner and one for your friend Dave. Your partner's number id 07782123456 and Dave's number is 07734613456. If EITHER of these people calls you, your phone will not show the caller's name, only their number.

The answer to 1. is to only save the partner's name as ICE then their name (eg ICE Joanne). There is no solution for the second scenario!

I hope this has helped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport