The Great ‘Crucial Phone Numbers’ Hunt: Easy numbers for when things go wrong.

Comments

• mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Useful tips on here. Something I keep meaning to do is get an address book specifically for numbers like these.
    OH and myself always seem to list people in our normal phone book under either Christian name or surname..........so I thought if I go an address book I could put and plumbing numbers under P, Electric under E and so on........then we'd both know where to look
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • mobilez
    mobilez Posts: 66 Forumite
    eherway wrote: »
    .....Trading Standards......The number I use is 01622626521, which is the South-East region number.....

To find the helpline phone number for your local Trading Standards office, just enter a postcode here:
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/search/dbase/searchlocal.cfm

For a list of advice "leaflets" available for consumers:
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/callist.cgi
  • mobilez
    mobilez Posts: 66 Forumite
    The 24 hour numbers for the main recovery places are:

AA - 0800 887766 (*)
    Direct Line Recovery - 0845 2468 708
    Green Flag - 0800 400 600 (*)
    Green Flag - 0800 051 0636
    Green Flag Europe - 00800 0051 0636 (dial free from a European landline)
    Green Flag - 0141 349 0516 (dial from a mobile abroad)
    RAC - 0800 828282 (*)

(*) free to call from a T-mobile handset
  • Col_in_LB
    Col_in_LB Posts: 98 Forumite
    vid.gif

FIRST Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

Thank you so much for ensuring that I will be busy at work calling back any poor souls who have followed your dubious advice. Yes I know someone else has already pointed this out but I want to emphasise exactly what happens from someone who handles 999 calls to the police.

If you dial 999 and make no emergency service request or even hang up before speaking to the operator, they will put the call (or remains of it) through to us at the police. If you call from a landline the operator will confirm details of where that number is registered to. If from a mobile then it will be confirmed to the mast the mobile was last connected through - this can cover an area as large as several square miles, generally depending on population density.

We then have to log the call and call the number back - coz we can't assume every dropped call to 999 is one where assistance isn't required.

So the simple answer is this - use 999 or 112. Whichever, only ever use it when life is in danger, or there is a crime in progress. And yes - both numbers work in the UK.

Rant over :mad:

cheers ;)
    col
    I'm tired of the censorship :D
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Patti27 wrote: »
    I work for the police & if you want to report your mobile lost or stolen you'll need the IMEI number before we'll do anything. It can also be found on the box your phone comes in and from your service provider (ie 02, orange etc).
    The police non emergency number in Scotland is 0845 600 5700. It's the same number for the whole of Scotland, so if I dial that number in Glasgow I'll get through to Strathclyde police etc. Doesn't matter if you use a mobile or landline.

I know my doctors number off by heart so I don't have it written down anywhere. Anything else and I'd call directory enquiries, although in saying that, they're not very good in directing people to the correct police force.

I found this 01224 386 000 on SayNoTo0870.com. It's the number for Grampian Police.

By the way, you can always register your mobile phone and other gadgets on Immobilise.com.
  • sarahluv
    sarahluv Posts: 162 Forumite
    Col_in_LB wrote: »

If you dial 999 and make no emergency service request or even hang up before speaking to the operator, they will put the call (or remains of it) through to us at the police. If you call from a landline the operator will confirm details of where that number is registered to. If from a mobile then it will be confirmed to the mast the mobile was last connected through - this can cover an area as large as several square miles, generally depending on population density.

We then have to log the call and call the number back - coz we can't assume every dropped call to 999 is one where assistance isn't required.

So the simple answer is this - use 999 or 112. Whichever, only ever use it when life is in danger, or there is a crime in progress. And yes - both numbers work in the UK.

Rant over :mad:

cheers ;)
    col

this isn't true in all cases for mobiles as there are too many accidental mobile calls. if you phone 999/112 from a mobile, there are no signs of distress and you don't say anything, one of two things will happen. a) if the line drops out, but operator will terminate the call. if the line stays connected, the operator will put the call through to a recorded message asking the caller to press 5 twice if they hav an emergency if they do, then the call will be connected to the police, if not the call will be disconnected.

also, the emergency service will ask you to confirm your number.

oh and i worked for cable and wireless for 4 years handling 999 calls.
  • sarahluv
    sarahluv Posts: 162 Forumite
    oh and 112 is the same as 999, the operator will see that you dialed 112 though. on mobiles this usually means that the caller was trying to get their customer services or voicemail. on landline, they've usually dialled an account number rather than the phone number
  • 911 for emergency services in the US.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Pluto_Bear
    Pluto_Bear Posts: 15 Forumite
    This isn't strictly about phone numbers but follows the nonsense I read above about 'being able to unlock a car via a mobile phone' - which you can't.

For various reasons you will sometimes find that your remote won't work, (eg. week battery, stronger signal 'jamming' the remote); if you then hold it contact with your temple and press the button it will often work! (This apparent magic is simply because the remote is a feeble radio transmitter and holding it against the temple uses the whole of your body - which contains a lot of salty fluid) as an aerial.)

I first saw this on Top Gear some time ago, and didn't believe it until I tried it - it doesn't always work, but it's worth a try!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just a reminder that this thread is for 'Crucial Phone Numbers', please keep on topic.;)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="%20abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure