The Great ‘Crucial Phone Numbers’ Hunt: Easy numbers for when things go wrong.

Comments

• Mobile phones - Just to say that you should store the person you want contacted in case of an emergency (eg car accident) with ICE as the name
    - In Case of Emergency

The emergency services look for this now - You might not be able to speak
    you can of course have the person in under their name as well for your own use!
  • lisafenn
    lisafenn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Heinz wrote: »
    But remember virtually no freephone numbers are free to call from a mobile.

However, it is possible to make free freephone calls from your mobile's inclusive minutes (if you have a contract with gives you those) by using one of the below gateway (dial-through) numbers. If one doesn't work for you, the other will:

0200 222 0900

0200 222 0700

Ah yes

sorry i didnt think about calls from mobiles... i hardly use my mobile so i was just thinking about calls from landline phones
  • monstercop
    monstercop Posts: 32 Forumite
    The other option in this technically available world is to email yourself a list of all of these details so if your list does get mislaid, you can still get access to it from anywhere with internet access (or store as a note / task / diary entry on a mobile with these features).
  • dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    vid.gif

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

This doesn't work on my Sony Ericsson or I-Mate. What phones use this facility?
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The only emergency number I remember is 999. For anything else, I would generally look it up on the Internet or phone directory enquiries. Nothing else is that urgent is it? Unless my internet connection broke of course, now that really would be a crisis. :eek:
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • tryfive
    tryfive Posts: 82 Forumite
    vid.gif
    FIRST Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked.

Worldwide? Only if you're on a GSM network. It is the European standard though.
    Try it out.
    !!!!!!?!!

You're encouraging people to dial the emergency services just to "try it out"?!

!!!!!!! They get enough crank calls without people doing this! Only call the emergency services in an emergency, please
    SECOND Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.
    Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.
    Complete myth. Sorry!

That bleeping sound you hear when you unlock your car? Nope, that's not what unlocks it - try again!

The key fob is actually a small radio transmitter. A very small radio transmitter. As for the claim it would work from many miles away... Well, if the friend you phoned up were to hook it up to a nice biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig aerial, boost the power to the transmitter, and then "play it down the phone", your car might unlock. Of course, it would have nothing to do with your mobile though...
    THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.
    Nope. Sorry. It does alter the power usage on some mobiles however (Nokia?)
    FOURTH How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone * # 0 6 #
    A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code.
    Close, but no cigar.

You're talking about the IMEI number. Networks can block based on this, however:

1) Get your friends IMEI, and report it stolen. Ta da! Their phone is useless! No? Of course not, try registering his mobile to you first though, and you might have more luck.

2) It's country specific. Nicked a few mobiles recently? Found they've been blocked? Finding it hard to flog them off as a result? Poor you... Well - WORRY NO MORE! Just nip over to the continent, and SUDDENLY you're back in business again, selling fully working mobiles.

PLEASE - BEFORE POSTING CLAIMS LIKE THE ABOVE, CHECK A FEW URBAN MYTHS WWW SITES.

You'll find them entertaining, and HIGHLY INFORMATIVE!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The 24 hour emergency helpline number for your insurance company-if you are abroad.

Each time i change my annual insurance i ask them for this number.
    A number of times they have given me freephone or 0870 numbers-which you CAN'T ring from abroad.
  • TimBuckTeeth
    TimBuckTeeth Posts: 521 Forumite
    You can't unlock a normal car (not specially equipped) with a mobile phone.

This part is misleading and directly copied from a junk email, not made by MSE editors :
    Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp
  • Patti27
    Patti27 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    tryfive wrote: »
    You're talking about the IMEI number. Networks can block based on this, however:

1) Get your friends IMEI, and report it stolen. Ta da! Their phone is useless! No? Of course not, try registering his mobile to you first though, and you might have more luck.

2) It's country specific. Nicked a few mobiles recently? Found they've been blocked? Finding it hard to flog them off as a result? Poor you... Well - WORRY NO MORE! Just nip over to the continent, and SUDDENLY you're back in business again, selling fully working mobiles.

I work for the police & if you want to report your mobile lost or stolen you'll need the IMEI number before we'll do anything. It can also be found on the box your phone comes in and from your service provider (ie 02, orange etc).
    The police non emergency number in Scotland is 0845 600 5700. It's the same number for the whole of Scotland, so if I dial that number in Glasgow I'll get through to Strathclyde police etc. Doesn't matter if you use a mobile or landline.

I know my doctors number off by heart so I don't have it written down anywhere. Anything else and I'd call directory enquiries, although in saying that, they're not very good in directing people to the correct police force.
  • chazzo
    chazzo Posts: 9 Forumite
    If you're on the beach this summer and someone gets lost or into difficulties, don't forget that the Coastguard is also available on 999 (or 112).

They are the right people to get you a lifeboat, rescue helicopter, a beach search or a bomb disposal crew. Don't bother the police -- they're not very good at off-road driving and they don't like getting their feet wet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure