We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Halifax to relaunch regular saver @10%+

Options

Comments

• liverpoolcarl
    Options
    I wish I would have known the RS was on its way, I would have held some cash back!
  • Calchas
    Calchas Posts: 405 Forumite
    Options
    MORPH3US wrote: »
    Have taken a screen shot of the website to prevent any problems at a later date...

Apologies for going slightly off topic.

How does one take a screen shot of a website?
  • liverpoolcarl
    Options
    Go to the page you want to copy and press 'prt scr' on your keyboard, usually next to the F12 key unless you are using a laptop.

Then go into word and click on 'Edit' at the top and then select the 'paste' button.
  • dreamybee
    dreamybee Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have just opened up the 10% Halifax regular saver - saving £100 per month. Can anyone tell me what the net interest I will get after the 12 months?

Dreamybee
  • liverpoolcarl
    Options
    £1251.39 back after £100 x 12. So that is £51.39 net interest if you are a basic rate tax payer.
  • tiptoe_mouse
    tiptoe_mouse Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is a great tool for these kinds of questions:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts#calculator

tiptoe
  • ernieburt
    Options
    MORPH3US wrote: »
    ernieburt, I could and probably will be wrong, but the 10% interest rate it ONLY on the regular saver account...

Therefore if you only pay in "the minimum £25 per month" then there is no way you will have £10,000 in there at the end of the year....

I'm confussed though because first you say you are going to put £10k into the RS (which is impossible, max is £500 per month = £6k over the year) but then you say you'll only put the minimum £25 a month into the RS....

Thanks for the reply,

I was thinking I could open the account with an initial lump sum and add the monthly amount to it. Obviously this isn't the case. Will have to look elsewhere to invest my 10k where I can open an account with that amount.
  • ej3ae
    ej3ae Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I opened a RS this morning but I'm still quite confused about getting the first payment in. As I am paying into it from Lloyds TSB the standing order has to be sent on/before the 23rd (which is Monday).

The terms and conditions say that if i dont get the SO in then the account will be closed, the halifax call centre told me "try and get the money in before the end of the month if i can" - what sort of concrete advice is that! ...the website says first payment by 20th July I think ...and the person in the branch i went to to double check all this told me to wait until i get the letters and then come back into the branch and do a manual transfer!!

Clearly with an account with T&C's as tight as this I don't want to get this wrong (particularly as I will put £500 a month in when I can afford it towards the end of the 12 months) - what are other people doing who have literally opened today or yesterday online?

If I tell Lloyds TSB to send a SO on Monday (only £25 this month) and then another on 1st July will that be ok?
  • LongTermLurker
    LongTermLurker Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ej3ae wrote: »
    If I tell Lloyds TSB to send a SO on Monday (only £25 this month) and then another on 1st July will that be ok?
    Yes. The rule is that you have to make a deposit before the 28th of each month - they recommend that you make SOs by 23rd if coming from outside Hx because of delays in processing.

so £25 this month, followed by £500 on 1 of every subsequent month would be fine.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • DUS
    DUS Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I read all the 32 pages of this thread and, yes, this was highly interesting but also very tiresome at times since I am not a native speaker. So whilst I managed to get through all the posts, I would need to ask some questions just to make sure I´ve understood everything.

So, here´s what I´ve done so far:

1/ Earlier this week I applied for the RS account via the HX website.
    2/ Today, I received 2 letters from them. Letter 1 confirmed my application and provided me with my account details for both the RS and the nominated account, whuich turned out to be the Web Saver. Letter #2 is about me confirming my name and address details (for reasons of money laundering regulations).

This is the status as of tonight. The questions resulting from this are:

1/ What do I have to do to see these accounts online? Just register these 2 accounts via the HX website for online banking? How quickly will they send me my access details (user Id & PIN)?

2/ Can I transfer the first GBP 500 to the RS account tonight or do I have to wait for something else from HX? How can I check that the money has been cleared in the RS account as long as I do not have access to online banking?

3/ It is my understanding that my nominated account, the Web Saver, is irrelevant for getting the 12%. Right? Now, in order to get the extra 2%, I want to go for the Guaranteed Saver (aiming for the 6.25%). Can I apply for this GS account online (tonight) and transfer the 5k into this account once it has been opened? Once set up will HX automatically notice that I am entitled to the extra 2% or do I have to let them know about my GS account (by phone or by going to one of their branches)?

I´d be grateful if you could help me with these questions.

Cheers and best,

DUS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills