Barclays Launching 7.75% One Year Fixed Rate Monthly Saver On 2nd June

Options

Comments

• MigsyBigsy
    MigsyBigsy Posts: 190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicko33 wrote: »

so its better than the Barclays savings account?
  • MigsyBigsy
    MigsyBigsy Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    nicko33 wrote: »

just read one of the posts from the Halifax 10% savings account which stated that the Nominated accounts are ONLY THESE: Guaranteed saver, Bank of Scotland Instant Access Savings Account, Saver reward, instant saver, premium savings direct and varaible websaver (with or without a card) which I dont have....
  • thumshie
    thumshie Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    MigsyBigsy wrote: »
    just read one of the posts from the Halifax 10% savings account which stated that the Nominated accounts are ONLY THESE: Guaranteed saver, Bank of Scotland Instant Access Savings Account, Saver reward, instant saver, premium savings direct and varaible websaver (with or without a card) which I dont have....

Thats only if you want to get the 12% Regular saver, not the 10%.. And if you do need an acoount for the funds to be transfered at the end of the period it should be easy enough to open a websaver with £1..
    so its better than the Barclays savings account?
    Well it depends on what exactly your after...Rumour has it that you can pay in £500 a month so more earning a better rate(10%)...However it's unclear if missed payments or withdrawls are allowed without closure of the account/lower interest earnt....

Details on the account are still sketchy/un-official..If you can wait till the 9th all should be clear as to requirements etc....
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    Following up on my post #38, I can confirm that the intitial deposit must come from your Barclays current account if applying online.

However, you can leave the standing order instruction blank if you want to make future payments from external resources.
    Dagobert
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will be quite novel having a passbook again - not seen one of those in oer 10 years!

Did they give you a passbook?

I am not a Barclays Current a/c holder and all they gave me was a sheet of A4 paper with the sort code, A/c No. & Date a/c opened printed on it.
  • LongTermLurker
    LongTermLurker Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speculator wrote: »

I am not a Barclays Current a/c holder and all they gave me was a sheet of A4 paper with the sort code, A/c No. & Date a/c opened printed on it.
    Sorry, it was a bit tongue in cheek; I didn't know what they'd give you - tbh I haven't been in to look at this yet - wanted to concntrate my efforts on the limited Hx 10% one first.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

My case is even worse. The staff couldn't open the account for me, although I was at the branch with her almost an hour filling every information in the system. At the end, she said she needed to check with the helpline, then called me back. She said she only worked part-time. Very useless, to be honest.

So, I was only given the sort code, a/c no on the phone. She did say I would receive written confirmation by the post. One week past, nothing. I will need to go to the branch if still nothing from the post untill next month.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I don't know whether they give passbooks as I also opened a current acc at the same time so I could get online access to the saver acc, so only got the same sheet of paper as you did so I could get the SO set up. Without a current acc you can't use online banking with Barclays :rolleyes:

I've not received any further correspondance regarding the savings acc by post, just the current acc stuff :confused:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • pfpf
    pfpf Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Options
    just wondered if any existing customers who have a joint current account have managed to open an account online in their sole name?

my current account is shared with my OH in joint names but the T&C's for opening online say it has to be a sole name account.

just wondering if its another case of T&C's saying one thing and being able to do another?

thank you.
  • LongTermLurker
    LongTermLurker Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know whether they give passbooks as I also opened a current acc at the same time so I could get online access to the saver acc, so only got the same sheet of paper as you did so I could get the SO set up. Without a current acc you can't use online banking with Barclays :rolleyes:
    Thanks for confirming that - I've just noticed another notable rule that would only affect people funding the RS a/c from a Barclays account:

"When the regular saver matures, the funds will be transferred into an instant access account which is available at the time ... if you fund the regular savings account by standing order from a Barclays account you give us the right to continue the standing order into your instant access account until you tell us otherwise" or words to that effect.

In other words, remember to cancel your standing order at the end of 12 months or you'll find you're sticking £250pm into a low interest account, which might not be intentional :rolleyes:
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure