PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    turbo5019 wrote: »
    I use re usable during the day disposable at night. I use asda own brand but I tried the smart price ones and found they had a plastic cover and not very breathable and made DD sweat I wouldn't buy them again.
    HTH
    I too use reusable day time and disposable night time, I have used Pampers (good but expensive), Lidl own (ok but seem to have a different design/shape now) and Boots own (cheaper and work fine). We don't have Tesco here yet but I did use their nappies on holidays and they were fine. The advantage of Boots is that if you join the Parenting Club, through Advantage Card, then you get extra points on them.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• newmoneysaver_2
    newmoneysaver_2 Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a NSD yesterday, but I need to pop out for bread later. Mum took my bread maker and loaf tin to "look after" whilst I had my kitchen done - I need to get these back! I might attemp to make some rolls by hand :eek:
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    morning all,

going for a nsd today, OH and i are car sharing the days he starts early so that means no more lunchtime shopping for me (well i could but i think it'll do me good to not be able to go anywhere (ok i could walk but i'm lazy;) ))

i have my hm houmous and veggie sticks for lunch and i'll be scrounging dinner off my folks before OH picks me up so even more moneysaving :T

hi to all the newbies:hello:, congrats to Lday77:T , hugs if you need one:grouphug:
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• findingmyfeet
    findingmyfeet Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    hi all,
    really behind on may and already june flying by.

MRS MC can you please put me in for £400 for June and declaring £415.65 for may. thank you.

late doing may , been away and loads of work, but need the money. Hope to join in more this month. Still joining in , even though not posting as much.

Hope everyone has been doing well, will read all june later and catch up.

went to morrisons yesterday and boy the prices are shooting up, only 2 weeks since i went in but i can see the difference. Well dog now on cheapest stuff, 6 tins gone up by 45p and mixer by 50p. need to shop around more. Freezer looks pretty grim need to batch cook n bake to get stocked back up. cupboards ok.
    good luck all
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning all, I am hoping for my 2nd NSD in a row! I don't need anything but will pop into ton if it doesnt start raining, as no point me going home after dropping DS3 off at nursery for 2 and half hours. Roll on school in september!!

Hope everyone is okay and hugs to anyone that needs them.
    Oh might buy a flan for bakewell tart or might do that next week and make some hobnobs instead. decisions decisions.

Mumzy
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    Options
    Hullo all...first shop of the month yesterday. For two months I've been doing an online shop with Asda since I've found going to the shops means I end up buying more than planned (especially if OH comes - which he has to as I don't drive and can't carry all the bags alone). Unfortunately, our internet has not yet been set up in the new house so we had to go to Sainsbury's in person. I don't know whether it's because of the price increases or because Sainsbury's is more expensive than Asda but everything seemed to cost more than expected.

On the bright side, I managed to steer OH clear of all the processed food we would normally buy as 'treats' - we're trying to eat healthy after a warning from the doc.

Stocked up on enough fresh fruit and veg and chicken for the week plus quite a lot of freezer and storecupboard stuff. I think we can avoid another shop for 7-10 days if we're careful. Luckily the new house is 3 min walk from OH's new job (he's a chef) so he gets home in time to cook - and he's far better at throwing together ingredients to make a yummy meal. I am hopeless without a recipe to follow. Yesterday he made couscous with chickpea, aubergine, and courgette curry. It was delish!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Morning.....I'm so glad I put off planting my lettuce seeds--poor little things would've drowned by now:o

As predicted another NSD yesterday but two papers, milk & fruit already on my list for today. I was voted Bestis Mum by two of the offspring for making a bread & butter pud, Bestist Daughter from me muvva for handing over a slab of bread pud & Bestist Hoomun from the pets for various treats in their nose-bags:D

I had a bash at white bread rolls too--they doubled in size width-ways OK but didn't really rise. Any ideas folks?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    How embarrasing...going to have to borrow some money as we have still not got paid, just for the absolute basics of milk and stuff but can't keep waiting for the money to come in:rolleyes:

Off to work, get weighed, buy the milk, shouldn't come to much the little things I need, I have made a turkey bolognaise sauce for this evening with wholemeal pasta, all from the cupboard, apart from the meat but that will do, it will have to do:rotfl: money,money,money always sunny.....:rotfl: :rotfl:
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    applemella wrote: »
    Was told by the repair man who came to fix my washing machine that it was a bad idea to use soda crystals on an automatic machine as it produces too much foam which is bad for the machine!
    Have used a tbs in my washing and have been impressed with results.
    Has anyine else been told this?

Haven't read to end yet, so hope someone hasn't already asnwerd this?

Soda crystals make water soft, hence the extra bubbles, but because we use less soap powder in the wash too, this should be fine (If you put in recommended amount, I would presume it would fill up with foam and maybe overflow - might be like a cartoon, hehe :rotfl: - mind you, probably not funny if it happens to you:o )

OS used to be put washing soda into a twin tub, as automatics weren't out then, and I remember suds coming out of my mum's machine when I was a kid, but as long as you don't use loads it will be fine (Ooooh, showing my age now!:D )

I was told by my repair man that a bit in the wash every now and again acts like a descaler and stops all the white stuff building up - much cheaper than calgon, which works in a similar way and is apparently no good for your machine, and he said if you run a whole bag through the machine about every six months or so on the hottest setting, it cleans everything out and gives the machine a longer life - not very OS to run empty wash on hot I know but if it helps the machine?

HLH,
    Den x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • mousytrap
    mousytrap Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SuziQ wrote: »
    Mousy there have been loads of peeps posting on here that they are gradually watering their milk down to make it stretch further-without their families knowing!

TeeHee... That's cheeky, but I like it. We do already use semi-skimmed though...
    SuziQ wrote: »
    Forgot to say have stopped buying newspapers. I read mine online and am putting the daily equivelent into a jar-I worked out I was spending £19.20 per month on papers!

I used to buy more papers, too... I get the local one delivered most days and I'm happy about that because they have lots of competitions, but I'm making an effort to buy the national one at the shop less. I like in on a Saturday but I try not to get it other than that. They just used to pile up around here and I wasn't having time to read them anyway.

mousy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport