PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cookinmummy
    cookinmummy Posts: 4,245 Forumite
    Options
    Just on to update my signature - needed more bread so trip to Mr A, but Hovis was down to 90p so cheaper than own brand!

Though having read your threads I am thinking of making my own. Originally I used to make my own bread from scratch (with a helping hand from the KitchenAid). Then, I got given a bread maker - but I did get in a pickle with it. Mainly because when I tried to tip the bread out of the pan it would get stuck on the hook thingy - so I ended up with a nice looking loaf on the outside, but with a gaping whole underneath!:rotfl:

Do you guys recommend the old way or was i just not doing it right with the bread maker? Any tips on keeping a loaf fresh gratefully received!
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JennyBee wrote: »

I've just made a batch of the shortbread from the recipe that was posted with the 5 yo step daughter. She loved it mainly because she got to stick her hands in butter in an attempt to rub it into the flour and sugar. It got everywhere!

However, they are now out the oven and they like them a lot. Although they seem to be a bit more like biscuits than shortbread (if that makes sense!) Might add some raisins to the next batch I think. :)

Jenny the original recipe said Plain Flour but school only had SR so that was what I used, try it with plain , shoul be more like shortbread then.
    HTH
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    NSD today.
    Keep up the good work!
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • applemella
    applemella Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Was told by the repair man who came to fix my washing machine that it was a bad idea to use soda crystals on an automatic machine as it produces too much foam which is bad for the machine!
    Have used a tbs in my washing and have been impressed with results.
    Has anyine else been told this?
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FFM suggested I ask this question here (previously posted on don't throw food away challenge thread) as you are all so good with recipes.

I have porridge every morning and because hubby had used the last of it for his flapjacks I decided to open a small box of 'McCann's Steel cut Irish Oatmeal' I had in the cupboard. YUK!!! I simply can't eat it as porridge but am reluctant to throw it. Any suggestions? Not sure it would make good flapjacks so other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    I woukld add to Banana muffins to make Banana & Oatmeal; do have a specific recipe somewhere but basically you omit 1oz flour and add in 1oz oatmeal.

HTH
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • tq16
    tq16 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    First shop of the month, stocked up on milk for freezer spent £55.88 will update signature in min. Although only purchase own brands where can have decided I can do better so have bought large number of value products this shop to try.
    Feeling very guilty after reading posts, use washing tablets rather than powder! will use up pack then change my habits. Determined this will be a great month.
    thanks for all the motivation.
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
  • Girl_least_likely_to
    Options
    Popped into Somerfield and got 3 warbutons's whoopsied toastie loaves for 23p each :D. They are usually £1.29p :eek: . OH doesn't like any other bread so have wedged them into the freezer :D. Got 3 peppers for £1 too, a good buy at the moment as peppers are another thing that's shot up lately. Got 2 past best mangos from the green grocers next door for 59p too, they'll be fine in my breakfast time smoothies over the next few days.
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Visited Mr T tonight for a few essentials. Managed to pick up lots of bread stuff all reduced to pence. Also in the reduced chilled section there were x2 pack of bacon reduced from £2.66 to 66p, I bought both packs, when I checked my bill they were on bogof and the till had taken 66p off so x2 packs of bacon for 66p - yay:j
  • Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I spent yesterday cleaning out my fridge/freezer ready for my first challenge.
    Went to the allotment & delighted to see onions all ready, potatoes coming on beautifully - as are the weeds - due to all the rain. The little apple tree has loads of tiny little apples on it & we've already got a few strawberries. The raspberry canes have multiplied as usual so hoping for a bumper crop which could be turned into jam if I can stop scoffing while I pick.

I've had a NSD today in preparation for tomorrows first grocery challenge shop at Mr. T. I have a £3.00 off voucher so hoping to come in under budget for the first week. Off to do my list & meal plan now so will update tomorrow,

oooh I'm so excited !!
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I bought another box of 50% extra free finish powerball dw tabs today,48 for £3.69 at wilkies,plus they were selling off chicken soup,the 400ish size,for 20p per tin.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport