PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for that herb quick bread recipe - looks delicious. Bet it would go down well with soups/casseroles, in a ploughman's - OR just with lots of butter. Better not let myself get anywhere near it while it's still warm :o .
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to be thick,but my son has asked for toad in the hole tomorrow evening-and apart from knowing it has sausgae and batter I have no idea what else or oven temp,timings,do you cook the sausage first-could any one help or point me to a recipe please? I've looked on the recipe list but can't see it. Many thanks in anticipation!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    applemella wrote: »
    Was told by the repair man who came to fix my washing machine that it was a bad idea to use soda crystals on an automatic machine as it produces too much foam which is bad for the machine!
    Have used a tbs in my washing and have been impressed with results.
    Has anyine else been told this?
    Do you live in a soft water area?

Here in Hull the water is super hard so I think it would take more that the tbspn soda I put in the machine to make foam!!!

NSD for me today.
  • mousytrap
    mousytrap Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been reading some of the last couple of month's threads and thought it was time I joined in. We are a 2A, 2C household and have thankfully just got the eldest out of night nappies (nearly 6 so about time). The next task is to get the little one out of day time nappies (just turned 3 and has been pottying on and off for some months)

I had a fright when I kept tabs on our grocery spend in Excel last year (to end Oct) and found that we were spending in excess of 8000... My mission for this year was to cut that to 4800, though after 7 mths it looks like we might hit 5500. We're not going for rock bottom because we like better quality food. I don't count meals out in that, but we only tend to have maybe a pizza about once a fortnight.

My main policy changes have been:
    - cutting out the ready meals that we used to have most nights (a pain because I hate cooking)
    - doing approx 50pc of our total food spend at Lidl (ie as much as poss) and other stores when relevant specials are on
    - bulk buying products that we use regularly when on BOGOF, greatly reduced or having bonus Clubcard points (esp meat/loo paper from Lidl, dishwasher tabs, baby wipes)
    - reducing nappy consumption
    - using own brands where we feel the quality is up to scratch/product is homogenous (eg flour, dishwasher salt)
    - only getting toiletries at Mr T when the H&B coupons are available
    - trying to avoid food wastage (not doing very well at that one)

Unfortunately the kids still get through 40 quid a month just in milk though... (with a little help from me... <burp>) My biggest weakness is Coke. I drink heaps of the stuff. Must stock up before the specials finish for summer.

Last month went over budget by about £100, some of which was due to the £40 H&B stock up and some due to extra birthday food.

So far this month £55/400 so a bit ahead of budget. Easing back for a few days.

mousy
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Mousy there have been loads of peeps posting on here that they are gradually watering their milk down to make it stretch further-without their families knowing! Might be worth a try. At least it's money spent on something nutritious though (unlike your coke addiction lol!) I have only just joined this and am hoping to feed me,3 children 6-12-17 years and 2 cats on £180 per month. Whether I amange is entirely another matter,but at least it feels good trying! I have picked up so many money saving tips and rcipes on here,am on the not throwing stuff away kick and have just bought a cheap slow cooker to help things along. Amazing thing is,I used to put out 5-6 bags of rubbish a week-papers,packaging and wasted food. Last week and tonight-2 bags,and this week the second isn't full! My dustbin men will think there's a different family here!
    Forgot to say have stopped buying newspapers. I read mine online and am putting the daily equivelent into a jar-I worked out I was spending £19.20 per month on papers!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • mhe
    mhe Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    OK MRSM Im back in

PLease put me down for £200 again

Didnt post in MAy but i went over budget so need to post to stay on track - confessing makes it so much worse!!!
    so far spent £74.39 but cupboards and freezer are full to busting (although children dont think so!!!) Bought a chicken in ASDA that had been woopsied - got 3 meals out of it - 2 lots of chiucken slices and then a soup. Never made soup by boiling up the bones before but it was really nice and all the family ate it up and loved it so i was very pleased with that £2.50 chicken!!
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mousy :hello: welcome to the challenge :)
    mousytrap wrote: »
    - cutting out the ready meals that we used to have most nights (a pain because I hate cooking)

Why don't you try bulk cooking your favourite meals so you can have your own homemade ready meals? ;) I posted here earlier about how to do a batches of chilli & meatballs. Ask if you need any other recipes. Everyone on here is so helpful :A
    SuziQ wrote: »
    Mousy there have been loads of peeps posting on here that they are gradually watering their milk down to make it stretch further-without their families knowing! Might be worth a try.

I personally wouldnt recommend watering down the milk as your three year old still needs it for the fat and calcium.;)
    mousytrap wrote: »
    My biggest weakness is Coke. I drink heaps of the stuff.

Until a couple of months ago I was getting through about 10 cans of coke a week but I have switched to squash - I know its not loads healthier but I make it quite weak and it is so much cheaper. Or maybe you could get some fizzy water (TescoValue 17p) to make up squash with? Still get the burp effect without the cost :) HTH

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    SuziQ wrote: »
    Sorry to be thick,but my son has asked for toad in the hole tomorrow evening-and apart from knowing it has sausgae and batter I have no idea what else or oven temp,timings,do you cook the sausage first-could any one help or point me to a recipe please? I've looked on the recipe list but can't see it. Many thanks in anticipation!

Hello SuziQ (I have a sister Sue with a surname beginning with Q!)

Went for a google and came up with this recipe for you. Hope its of some use for you. I would always pre-cook/brown the sausages. They would not cook through just sitting in the batter in the oven.

http://thefoody.com/meat/toadinthehole.html

good luck with the recipe and hope your son enjoys it :D.
  • beckseven
    beckseven Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    The first shop of my challenge and I spent £65.47 today-57.47 in Tesco and £8 in Iceland. Got some bargains in Iceland such as £1 washing powder and toothpaste and £3.25 for 3 chicken breasts. Still feel that this is too much though but I think it is the nappies that really bump my shop up each week-DS isn't really keen on potty training yet and don't want to push him when he's not ready. My total is £150 this month because I'm on holiday later on in the month-I think I am going to aim for £300 a month at first and then go lower as I get better at this. Bought reduced lamb chops and chicken and value kitchen roll and some value tinned veggies.
    HSBC Visa-High interest-£2349.23 Nat West £2605.18
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
    Marks and Spencer card- 3331.30 next 92.67
    Total was 11066.29 now £10,968.15
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    I was taking my grandma shopping in asda today, and spotted lots of reduced offers.
    spent 2.50, got 6 loaves, pkt of crumpets and two large packs of bananas still green! some strawberries and milk. Not a bad haul, and cupboards are now groaning. I have to buy a tray of eggs and some more potatoes, so will have enough for the month at this rate.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport