PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mousytrap wrote: »
    TeeHee... That's cheeky, but I like it. We do already use semi-skimmed though...

mousy

Hi Mousy,

I also use semi skimmed, but went into Asda this week and got 2 x 6pints of full fat milk for £3, put 1/3rd from each bottle into another 6 pint bottle I kept and topped all of them up with water to get 18 pints of semi for £3!

I am now always going to buy full fat and water it down, coz as Delboy says, you know it makes sense!:rotfl:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • mousytrap
    mousytrap Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Hi Mousy :hello: welcome to the challenge :)

Why don't you try bulk cooking your favourite meals so you can have your own homemade ready meals? ;) :A

Mainly because my OH is really funny about eating meals that have been frozen and reheated (not that he had any problem with the ready meals...) I'm not sure what he thinks I've done to them...

I do freeze the leftover portions of spag bol and often have those for lunches myself. Also occasionally I do a big tray or two of bacon and egg pie, which also gets used for lunches.
    angelnikki wrote: »

Until a couple of months ago I was getting through about 10 cans of coke a week but I have switched to squash - I know its not loads healthier but I make it quite weak and it is so much cheaper.
    Nikki
    x

Lightweight... :wink: I'm drinking about a litre and a half a day...

If I changed to squash it'd have to be something like Robinsons High Juice. I don't touch anything with aspartame due to the headaches...

Probably should drink more tea instead but have never been too enthused. The cups of tea keep going cold before I can get to the bottom of them.

mousy
  • irishwexford
    irishwexford Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am so busy with new allotment and outdoor bowls that I do not have time to come here these days but cutting down on waste and planning meals have become a way of life now and will stay with me. Popped into our local Rainbow supermarket last evening for something and came away with six pints of milk, three family apple pies and a box of cakes for £1.91. I have been trained well on here and money saving has become a way of life. Thanks for all your help and support. Spend what little time I do have on here on green fingered board. We are eating salad leaves from garden and have enough veggies growing on allotment to see us through a good spell. I still make soup on a regular basis and always use chicken leftovers to make stock, something I had never done before. Also make all our meals from scratch so my way of living has changed completely.:T
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh just realised we have no cat food- off to Lidl to get some and think will get some flour when there. Not much else mind as determined to stick to MSW!!!!!!!!!
    I like coke too but I just don't buy it very often, tend to drink fruit juice or flavoured water now and only the odd treat of cokey coke!
    Will update sig later.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi GUys,

Sorry missed some posts cant believe it shot up 6 pages, will go back and read them. Just found out dh has lost his job, not a good day!

3rd no spend day for me although I need to get some stuff tomorrow bread etc....
    oh well hugs to all that need them and congrats to Victory and others
    Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2
    SAVVYMUMMY_2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Just on to update my signature - needed more bread so trip to Mr A, but Hovis was down to 90p so cheaper than own brand!

Though having read your threads I am thinking of making my own. Originally I used to make my own bread from scratch (with a helping hand from the KitchenAid). Then, I got given a bread maker - but I did get in a pickle with it. Mainly because when I tried to tip the bread out of the pan it would get stuck on the hook thingy - so I ended up with a nice looking loaf on the outside, but with a gaping whole underneath!:rotfl:

Do you guys recommend the old way or was i just not doing it right with the bread maker? Any tips on keeping a loaf fresh gratefully received!

Hi cookinmummy, I use my BM for making the dough only. Found I get a better loaf this way. HTH
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dink1 wrote: »
    Hi GUys,

Sorry missed some posts cant believe it shot up 6 pages, will go back and read them. Just found out dh has lost his job, not a good day!

Dink1

Hi Dink,

:grouphug:sorry to hear about DH loosing his job:grouphug: . Is there any prospect of something else or does he need to go out and look from scratch? What does he do? maybe someone on here can help?
    Hope you don't mind me asking, take care, Denise
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Dear Denise,

Thanks for the hugs, its ok he is as we speak siging on with an agency but its just the uncertainty of it, it has been on the horizon for a while, still always a shock when it arrives. (money etc) But thanks for your support, will just have to manage on one wage for a while. Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • cookinmummy
    cookinmummy Posts: 4,245 Forumite
    Options
    dink1 wrote: »
    Hi GUys,

3rd no spend day for me although I need to get some stuff tomorrow bread etc....
    oh well hugs to all that need them and congrats to Victory and others
    Dink1

Sorry to hear that Dink1 - never rains but it pours huh? :grouphug:
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not spent since Sundays disaster at Mr A's.
    Couldn't justify it at the moment anyway as we've no space whatsoever in fridge or freezer.
    Tonight we'll be having cold chicken drummers with mash and salad if it's warm and if it isn't it will chicken stew with mash and veg. The mash is from extra I did yesterday and I'm finally getting through the cabbages I bought in March!
    Then tomorrow we'll have to have fish pie because the kids didn't want fish pie last night so had fish with vegetables.
    Mil is round tomorrow so I'll have to stretch it a little. Then need to consider what to have for Thurs- depends on the weather I suppose!

Those of you with courgettes, how long are we looking at before we can pick the first fruit? Mine are almost ready for planting out now and I can't wait but nothing outside is particularly ready for much. I'm so impatient.
    I'll have a £120 ish shop by the end of the week with stock ups as I've more vouchers to use. Still feel well motivated to try not to overspend wildly (anyone see a month on month pattern emerging?)
    Ttfn peeps, Kaz.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure